Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Whitbread....

Will he ever get fully fit?

He should be quite a decent player when he is, but in the last 3/4 seasons how many games has he played?

Is all hope lost when it comes to Whitbread?

I dont think lambert would have signed him if he wasnt going to offer the club anything. Maybe the club want to give him plenty of time to get fully fit so he faces less chance of injury on return. But I think we need to be looking out for a cover CB until the end of october whilst nelson recovers and maybe give whitbread the time he needs to recover.

great playerhad a torrid 18 months though. I think tbh we just need to give him another few months to get himself right completely ( i know people see this as counter productive) but honestly as someone who has had rehab etc before, until you are 100% fit you will naturally struggle and can redevelop injuries through straining other musclesthat are compensating for the weak muscle or even said injured area. psychologically its tough too. he will may be feeling like shit as he tries to overcome a negative mentally and a fear of getting injured again.

[quote user="missing in action"]great player
had a torrid 18 months though. I think tbh we just need to give him another few months to get himself right completely ( i know people see this as counter productive) but honestly as someone who has had rehab etc before, until you are 100% fit you will naturally struggle and can redevelop injuries through straining other musclesthat are compensating for the weak muscle or even said injured area. psychologically its tough too. he will may be feeling like shit as he tries to overcome a negative mentally and a fear of getting injured again.
[/quote]

This may take it a fair amount of time as all a pro football wants to do is play and knowing that you injured yourself doing it, you will not want to rush out again.

Its a bit liek eating food that makes you sick, you wont eat it again as you feel it may make you sick again. - lame but easy to understand.

Whitbread is definitely a decent player, not that we''d know from the short glimpses we''ve had of him. I hope he gets sorted and comes good, but am starting to have my doubts - there are players who for one reason or another are blighted and he just might be one of them.

We are certainly in a little bit of schtuck with Nelson out too, as there isn''t that much cover (particularly after selling Spillane, one decision of PL''s that I wasn''t sure of). Tbh I''d not be surprised to see a c/b in on loan pretty soon.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="missing in action"]great playerhad a torrid 18 months though. I think tbh we just need to give him another few months to get himself right completely ( i know people see this as counter productive) but honestly as someone who has had rehab etc before, until you are 100% fit you will naturally struggle and can redevelop injuries through straining other musclesthat are compensating for the weak muscle or even said injured area. psychologically its tough too. he will may be feeling like shit as he tries to overcome a negative mentally and a fear of getting injured again.[/quote]

This may take it a fair amount of time as all a pro football wants to do is play and knowing that you injured yourself doing it, you will not want to rush out again.

Its a bit liek eating food that makes you sick, you wont eat it again as you feel it may make you sick again. - lame but easy to understand.

[/quote]well yeah. especially when its your job. you want to do it and can sometimes push yourself too far in a bid to get back. its easily donee. id rather invest time in him now and reep rewards later tbh.

Lambert said he''s only about 2 weeks away from fitness.

We also hoped that talented midfielder we got from Stoke a couple of years ago would recover but he never did. Chadsworth or something, I keep forgetting his name.

Whitbread seems to be the new him.

[quote user="cityangel"]Lambert said he''s only about 2 weeks away from fitness.[/quote]Indeed and could be in contention after the international break.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]We also hoped that talented midfielder we got from Stoke a couple of years ago would recover but he never did. Chadsworth or something, I keep forgetting his name. Whitbread seems to be the new him.[/quote]

Luke Chadwick

I really don''t want to get on the guys back as it''s pretty obvious he is having a torrid time. But I was only thinking the other day he has a touch of the Luke Chadwick''s / Peter thorne''s about him.

Millwall fans seemed to really rate him but if he gets another injury in the next couple of months I think we should cut our losses

I guess the key issue is whether he is getting the same injury repeatedly. If you look at the Joanthan Woodgate situation (not saying for a second Whitbread is in this boat) it is always his groin which keeps packing up on him. So it looks like he is going to have to quit the game. If Whitbread is getting different injuries it seems to imply he is unlucky rather than finished.

[quote user="Mutley"]I really don''t want to get on the guys back as it''s pretty obvious he is having a torrid time. But I was only thinking the other day he has a touch of the Luke Chadwick''s / Peter thorne''s about him. Millwall fans seemed to really rate him but if he gets another injury in the next couple of months I think we should cut our losses[/quote]

How would you suggest we "cut our losses"? As he is under contract we will have to pay it fully whatever his injury situation, so we might as well keep him on the books and hope he can make a full recovery.

As mentioned before Drury had a similar situation and managed pretty much all of last season without serious injury problems, players are always more likely to get new injuries when returning from a previous injury and Whitbread just has to be managed carefully. Hopefully he can start to get some games under his belt soon (would imagine some reserve fixtures will be arranged soon or we may even have some behind closed door games in the plans).

I don''t understand how people can say he''s going to be a great player when although he hasn''t been fit last season when he came on he was poor. What makes him so good? we havn''t seen him play a proper game. Everyone knew what sort of players were coming this season, e.g David fox had a brilliant match against us last season and the season before that with Blackpool but we didn''t see anything from his previous club

[quote user="nevermind"]I don''t understand how people can say he''s going to be a great player when although he hasn''t been fit last season when he came on he was poor. What makes him so good? we havn''t seen him play a proper game. Everyone knew what sort of players were coming this season, e.g David fox had a brilliant match against us last season and the season before that with Blackpool but we didn''t see anything from his previous club[/quote]

Whitbread in his last full season at Milwall was a cut above pretty much every other defender in League One, the reports of Milwall''s games often stated he was Premier League quality. This is where the repuation comes from. It''s true that he hasn''t really shown what he can do for Norwich so far in his time here, but if he can come back the player he was before injuries it is a massive bonus for us.

[quote user="Wxyz"]Yes i think it is , we were sold a wrong un .
[/quote]

Unfortunately I think you could be proved right this season!

I was told that Millwall were glad to get rid cause hes an injury liability!