Sign in to follow this  
Salford

Nelson: you are the weakest link, goodbye.

Mr Chops you can''t seriously be saying that The Doc is NOT the worst defender of all time?

Davo

To be fair Doc was quite decent last season, but if he was any good then Lambert would have kept him for this season. IMO I think Nelly is more solid, not prone to rugby tackling or trying to hug every player for the oppo team.

I agree Way but I think people are looking at it from a Nelly V Doc view. I reckon it was more of a Doc V Ward situation.

Nelly was under contract and performing well. Doc was out of contract and propably one of our highest earners. If Lambert could release Doc and get Ward in for less who is possibly a better defender then the decision to not renew the Doc''s contract was worth it.

Overall Nelson has done pretty well so far and he could turn out to be an average Championship defender. I think that how well Nelson does will have as much to do with his partner in defence who can complement his skills and make up for what he''s not good at.

Davo

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]This debate is becoming silly! Nelson has the shirt, therefore he is good enough to have it until he plays poorly enough to have it taken away from him. As he has the shirt he is in control. It is up to him to prove he is good enough to keep it. If he is, then he keeps it, if he isn''t then somebody else gets it and it is then up to them to prove they are good enough to keep it! Because of his injury he no longer has the shirt, therefore the man who does have it, Askou, is now in control. It''s now up to him to put in the performances which say to the manager "Now drop me after that!". Surely this is how football works everywhere. If the manager thinks none of them are good enough to wear one of his shirts he gets somebody in who he thinks is good enough![/quote]

Exactly.

[:)]
[/quote]

But surely that is now the point.  Nelson no longer has the shirt and will be out for some while.  Whitbread will be fit first and it will be Nelson seeking to show that he is worth a place over those in the team.   He has not let the team down and at times has been excellent but there will not be an automatic place back in the team.   Just like Spillane last season who played well until he was injured and then had to sit on the bench because those on the field did so well, it would not surprise me if we do not see Nelson again this season as a first team pick.

Does anyone know how long Nelson is out for, Lambert said a few weeks yesterday then in another interview said a long time.

Wardy said in his interview that ''''its been fixed now '''' so presume he''s had an op.

Anyone know what the injury is and how long he could be out for?

[quote user="cityangel"]

Does anyone know how long Nelson is out for, Lambert said a few weeks yesterday then in another interview said a long time.

Wardy said in his interview that ''''its been fixed now '''' so presume he''s had an op.

[/quote]

Ankle ligament damage. I know from bitter personal experience that it''s not a quick heal. If it''s only stretched or twisted you''re probably looking at 3 weeks, but if there''s any tear you''re talking about a couple of months.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Ankle ligament damage. I know from bitter personal experience that it''s not a quick heal. If it''s only stretched or twisted you''re probably looking at 3 weeks, but if there''s any tear you''re talking about a couple of months.

[/quote]

Yes and it will always be weak.  Tore my achilles a few years ago, and it''s still not 100% and is still prone to weakness.

Looks like poor Nelly will be in the treatment room for some time[:(]

Oh well, looking on the brightside that will give him plenty of time to form a partnership with Zak.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Looks like poor Nelly will be in the treatment room for some time[:(]

Oh well, looking on the brightside that will give him plenty of time to form a partnership with Zak.

[/quote]Hahaha! Nice one.

I think all 4 of our CB''s are good and have something to contribute. I know people don''t rate Whitbred, however he''s a quality defender, he just needs fans to be patient with him and allow him to get himself fit.. Ward''s a proven Championship performer, Askou showed he can do a job for us during his run in the side last season & Nelson has been inspirational for us at times.

Don''t think any of them deserve the stick they have received from fans.

i am not worried about the defending of any of the 4 centrebacks, but am worried about a perceived lack of pace and cool head distribution. passing forward to a teamate or hoofing and hoping it will not come straight back at the defence, this could make all the difference in our season. OTBC

Thats why I think Whitbred will be a regular though, he loves to play the ball out from the back as does Ward from reports i''ve seen and read (only seen him play properly against Watford) with those two then JBA & Nelson who are more old fashioned we''ve got a good mix.