Sign in to follow this  
Salford

Nelson: you are the weakest link, goodbye.

I like reading this message board to keep up with the gossip around Carrow Road (once I''ve trawled through a lot of garbage) but after match days I''ve noticed half the people are whining about something and/or slating some of the players (which I don''t mind) and the other half are whining about the whiners. So... here''s my run down of each player based entirely on opinion and not on emotion. Feel free to add to the list because I''ve sacked a few off that haven''t been involved.

1 John Ruddy ** 2 star, he''s ok but I can''t see him commanding the number 1 jersey when Rudd comes into the fold more.

2 Russell Martin ** doesn''t fill me with confidence in defence and not great going forward.

3 Adam Drury **** solid, loyal and effective in defence and going forward

4 Matthew Gill * who?

5 Michael Nelson ** carthorse, is put on his backside too easily by strikers but can''t fault his effort

6 Zak Whitbread *** looks an assured defender, the sooner he''s back from injury the better

7 Andrew Crofts *** hard worker, is the quality there though? compared with gary holt I''m not so sure

8 Stephen Hughes ** a bit too lightweight, can''t see him here long term. Strangely, I don''t mind him though

9 Grant Holt ***** i fcuking love grant holt

10 Simeon Jackson *** the jurys still out. I thought his "bloody" post match interview was better than his finish on Saturday

11 Andrew Surman **** looks the part, I think he will be better than Hoolahan this season

13 Declan Rudd *** it''s like perving on a 16 yr old girl... his early 20s can''t come quick enough when I''m sure he''ll be at his prime

14 Wesley Hoolahan **** so frustrating but has the ability to win a game, even if he has to give the ball away 20 times to do so

15 David Fox haven''t seen enough to judge

16 Chris Martin **** will be a good player for us but some of the transfer fees suggested on here are ludicrous

18 Korey Smith **** he''s like a mini rusty but not so hot-headed. My favourite player and hope he stays with us and does well

19 Simon Lappin ** absolute gob-sh1te. Reminds me a bit of Gary Neville. Wish he would concentrate on his game rather than moaning at the ref because he ain''t actually that good.

22 Elliott Ward *** mate who''s cov fan sings his praises and from what I''ve seen he''s not wrong. Will he be on pens?

23 Oli Johnson ** not championship standard but I think he has the ability to unlock tired defences at any level. Good footwork and an easy on the eye style of play

24 Anthony McNamee *** needs to be given a chance. I think we will seriously rely on Holt''s heading ability this season and I think McNamee is the man to plant a cross on his bonze

33 Jens Berthel Askou *** looked good before he got injured. Would prefer him in the team than Nels.

Ok, maybe my opinion is slightly exaggerated on a few but would appreciate your views please.

Fantastic. So please tell me why Whitbread (played about 2 and a half games in 2 years) is better than Nelson (superb for a year).

Thanks.

Nelson was poor against Watford (as were most players) but as good as anyone else against Scunthorpe and Swansea.

It seems almost ''fashionable'' to dislike him for no real reason?

I doubted his ability to step up as much as anyone, but to call him the weakest link is wholly unfair. So far he has proven himself more than adequate at this level, and done significant more than the invisible Zak has.

Pointless post.

How you can rate someone like Whitbread who you have probably never seen play ahead of Nelson who was one of the reasons we got promoted is beyond me!

yes, Whitbread might turn out to be better long run but for me you can''t say this until proven.

The only time I saw Whitbread was at home to lowly Stockport last year and he was woeful, although I dont think he was fully fit.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Nelson was poor against Watford (as were most players) but as good as anyone else against Scunthorpe and Swansea. It seems almost ''fashionable'' to dislike him for no real reason? I doubted his ability to step up as much as anyone, but to call him the weakest link is wholly unfair. So far he has proven himself more than adequate at this level, and done significant more than the invisible Zak has. Pointless post.[/quote]Thank you! [Y] Someone who talks sense around here.

It sickens me here with the lack of knowledge by most Norwich fans. Everyone seems to think Whitbread (little, if no experience in the Champ) will be our best player, even though he has been far fron great in each of the 4 games he has played for us, in over a year. I really don''t get it. Nelson has been superb for me, and has been good in the last 3 games. I really don''t understand why everyone hates him? Cause he''s slow? It''s just retarded. He''s a very good defender, he wins almost every single defensive header and can make a good tackle. Leave my friend alone. [:(]

Sorry, but need to make another point about the Original Post.

It is a load of w*nk!

The criticism of Russel Martin and Lappin is more than a little harsh as well.

Martin was arguably our best player in the first-half on Saturday, and has done a solid job since joining. Way better than Otsemobor.

Lappin has done nothing wrong this season - quite on the contrary, he played a big part in getting us a crucial 3 points. Last season he started more games than ANY other player. If he was that useless, I highly doubt Lambert would have played him so often.

For what it''s worth, I think knocking Crofts'' ability is a bit bizarre as well. Looks like he''s been here years already, and the kind of player who will always have a decent game - if not better.

Spot on Brendo. Unless some people on here have watched a hell of a lot of Millwall games (which I somehow doubt) I dont know how they actually have an opinion on Whitbread as a player yet. He has been very injury prone so far and has only played for us 4 times. One of those was a very dodgy display against Stockport where he got turned a number of times. I am sure he has a lot of potential but how people can say he is class when they havent actually seen him play is beyond me.

We know Nelson''s limitations in that he isnt the quickest and his distribution can be poor at times. But the guy is reliable, brave, great in the air, chips in with some goals and is seen as a leader within the squad. He is part of a defence which has kept two clean sheets on the spin as well. In the last year he has earnt the right to be regarded as our first choice centre back. I for one think he''ll do fine this season because he seems to learn and adapt very quickly.

Some utterly bizarre ratings there. Ruddy 2 stars and Rudd 3? Based on what? About 3 performances Rudd made last year and a handful of reserve appearances? Whitbread ahead of Nelson has already been covered too - a player who''s reputation seems to grow the longer he is out. Very odd.

OK? So I wont mention the Nelson bit as its been covered (correctly by Brendo etc) to death, but how can you say we need McNammee for his crossing to Holt, but keep Lappin out? IMO Lappin is a top player, but may struggle to cement a place as he will be battling Surman for that position. He can cross, has a great work rate and can defend and get forward. However, I''m not McNamees biggest fan. He seems to run a lot, but has no end product. yes he has picked a few decent crosses, but sometimes when he is on the ball i must admit the words ''chicken'', ''headless'' and ''runs around like a'' sometimes spring to mind!

This is surely a wind up. Have you watched Norwich this season? Nelson has been one of the most improved players so far, I personally didn''t think he would make the step up but he has done fine so far. Posts like this just add to the garbage that is already on here, I suggest you do yourself a favour and go support your local yellow and green ''wannabes''... scum utd!

Also, Surman has been utter cack so far, whilst I whole heartedly believe he will become a major player for us, he hasn''t impressed me what so ever so far. I thought Elliot Ward looked terrible against Watford, but has shown real class against Scunny and Swansea (in particular) so fair play to the guy!!!

And the last time you went to a game was ?? This has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts ever and I wish I had not bitten but its got to be a wind up. I have copied this tread so I can reopen every now and then when I want to remind myself how our own supporters just slate players that give 100%. Even if you were right this is what we can afford and a better lot of players to wear the shirt we will not find for the prices we can afford. Maybe you can nip out tomorrow and see if Man City could loan us some of their players for free. 

Ugh, how stupid can this thread get? I mean on one side you have Salford Yellow rating players even though he admits he hasn''t really seen them.

On the other side you have some people (Brenda and Ryan etc.) Who agree that Whitbread''s 4 appearances "in over a year" have been poor.

I remember Zak Whitbread having a very good game in the 2nd half after Holt had been sent off and Lambert switched to 3 at the back. Ok he''s only made four appearances for us but he only signed for us in January.

Those of you writing off Whitbread after 4 appearances are just as bad as those people who are bigging him up.

I will agree that Nelson has done well in the last two league games. However to claim he is better than Whitbread or Whitbread is better than Nelson is rubbish. We haven''t seen enough of Whitbread and Nelson to claim any one of them is better than the other.

Davo

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]So... here''s my run down of each player based entirely on opinion and not on emotion.[/quote]In hindsight this was probably a bad idea.

[quote user="ellis206"]Also, Surman has been utter cack so far, whilst I whole heartedly believe he will become a major player for us, he hasn''t impressed me what so ever so far. I thought Elliot Ward looked terrible against Watford, but has shown real class against Scunny and Swansea (in particular) so fair play to the guy!!!
[/quote]

Agree entirely. There is no doubt Surman is a quality player and has proved this before in the championship. Plus if both Lambert and McCarthy are willingly to pay over a million for you, you clearly have something about you. However if Lappin plays tonight and puts in another good showing I think he could actually feel pretty aggrieved not to start a league game soon (not right away because obviously Surman needs more than 3 games to settle) . He laid on the winner against Scunthorpe. He played well in the league cup as well. I know it was only Gillingham but I thought his understanding and link up play with Drury were excellent.

The fact OP can give an opinion on Whitbread as a Norwich player but not give an opinion on David Fox, when both have played less than 5 games for us... was enough for me to stop reading and consider it utter rubbish :)

[quote user="Davo"]Ugh, how stupid can this thread get? I mean on one side you have Salford Yellow rating players even though he admits he hasn''t really seen them. On the other side you have some people (Brenda and Ryan etc.) Who agree that Whitbread''s 4 appearances "in over a year" have been poor. I remember Zak Whitbread having a very good game in the 2nd half after Holt had been sent off and Lambert switched to 3 at the back. Ok he''s only made four appearances for us but he only signed for us in January. Those of you writing off Whitbread after 4 appearances are just as bad as those people who are bigging him up. I will agree that Nelson has done well in the last two league games. However to claim he is better than Whitbread or Whitbread is better than Nelson is rubbish. We haven''t seen enough of Whitbread and Nelson to claim any one of them is better than the other. Davo[/quote]

To be fair I never said at any point that Whitbread is a bad player. I have said he clearly has a lot of potential. It just irritates me when people seem to think that if he ever gets fit again he should just waltz straight into the starting lineup. Despite Nelson having been extremely dependable in the last year.

Well.... I haven''t seen Nelson have a bad game yet.

[quote user="Davo"]Ugh, how stupid can this thread get? I mean on one side you have Salford Yellow rating players even though he admits he hasn''t really seen them. On the other side you have some people (Brenda and Ryan etc.) Who agree that Whitbread''s 4 appearances "in over a year" have been poor. I remember Zak Whitbread having a very good game in the 2nd half after Holt had been sent off and Lambert switched to 3 at the back. Ok he''s only made four appearances for us but he only signed for us in January. Those of you writing off Whitbread after 4 appearances are just as bad as those people who are bigging him up. I will agree that Nelson has done well in the last two league games. However to claim he is better than Whitbread or Whitbread is better than Nelson is rubbish. We haven''t seen enough of Whitbread and Nelson to claim any one of them is better than the other. Davo[/quote]

Huh? When did I ever say that? I just said that Nelson is a very good defender IMO

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]I like reading this message board to keep up with the gossip around Carrow Road (once I''ve trawled through a lot of garbage) but after match days I''ve noticed half the people are whining about something and/or slating some of the players (which I don''t mind) and the other half are whining about the whiners. So... here''s my run down of each player based entirely on opinion and not on emotion. Feel free to add to the list because I''ve sacked a few off that haven''t been involved.

1 John Ruddy ** 2 star, he''s ok but I can''t see him commanding the number 1 jersey when Rudd comes into the fold more.

2 Russell Martin ** doesn''t fill me with confidence in defence and not great going forward.

3 Adam Drury **** solid, loyal and effective in defence and going forward

4 Matthew Gill * who?

5 Michael Nelson ** carthorse, is put on his backside too easily by strikers but can''t fault his effort

6 Zak Whitbread *** looks an assured defender, the sooner he''s back from injury the better

7 Andrew Crofts *** hard worker, is the quality there though? compared with gary holt I''m not so sure

8 Stephen Hughes ** a bit too lightweight, can''t see him here long term. Strangely, I don''t mind him though

9 Grant Holt ***** i fcuking love grant holt

10 Simeon Jackson *** the jurys still out. I thought his "bloody" post match interview was better than his finish on Saturday

11 Andrew Surman **** looks the part, I think he will be better than Hoolahan this season

13 Declan Rudd *** it''s like perving on a 16 yr old girl... his early 20s can''t come quick enough when I''m sure he''ll be at his prime

14 Wesley Hoolahan **** so frustrating but has the ability to win a game, even if he has to give the ball away 20 times to do so

15 David Fox haven''t seen enough to judge

16 Chris Martin **** will be a good player for us but some of the transfer fees suggested on here are ludicrous

18 Korey Smith **** he''s like a mini rusty but not so hot-headed. My favourite player and hope he stays with us and does well

19 Simon Lappin ** absolute gob-sh1te. Reminds me a bit of Gary Neville. Wish he would concentrate on his game rather than moaning at the ref because he ain''t actually that good.

22 Elliott Ward *** mate who''s cov fan sings his praises and from what I''ve seen he''s not wrong. Will he be on pens?

23 Oli Johnson ** not championship standard but I think he has the ability to unlock tired defences at any level. Good footwork and an easy on the eye style of play

24 Anthony McNamee *** needs to be given a chance. I think we will seriously rely on Holt''s heading ability this season and I think McNamee is the man to plant a cross on his bonze

33 Jens Berthel Askou *** looked good before he got injured. Would prefer him in the team than Nels.

Ok, maybe my opinion is slightly exaggerated on a few but would appreciate your views please.[/quote]I can''t wait for the school holidays to finish,at least then we won''t get utter w@nk posts like this.how about before people can post on here criticizing players they have to at least seen a match.I can only imagine this poster lives a very limited life if he truely believes what he has written

Nelson was excellent last season, but he is not strong enough for this league, if you took the time to watch the game, in all 3 he is falling very easily after contact, which we cant have because he will keep getting beat. His pace is also a problem, a few times he has been beaten, luckily on these occasions he has not been the last man.

As for R. Martin, he is the worst defender i have seen play for city in a while, he is on a par with Doc in the Championship (who, I am sure most of you forget, was awful, just because of his good season in League 1 everyone thinks he was the best defender ever). If you observe during normal defensive play, when he should be keeping his line with the defence he consistently strays too far into the middle of the park, and when he does get out of position he never seems to have any urgency to get back...

As for any of the new players, how can you give them ratings? We have played 3 games, wait until Christmas then give ratings, but not now! Shakey starts are very common for new players coming into a club!

The same Doherty who won POTY in the Championship, came in the top three other times, and was arguably our best player as we were relegated...?

If Russel Martin''s that ''bad'' then we''re onto something of a winner! Please tell me you''re not serious that he''s (R.Martin) worse than Murray/Stefanovic/Kennedy/Omozusi/Leijer/Otsemobor/etc, each of whom were (for differing reasons obviously) pretty poor at best!

Sorry but lets trust lambert, he works with the players everyday in training and he picks he''s best squad for the game, so how come people on this site think they know more than him, it bull***t. Let him worry if the players are good enough to be on the pitch. We will no matter what have a player thats better then another, so in this case should we get on his back about it??????

Lets try instead of spending time finding the negative''s in are team lets talk about the positives more.

[quote user="Brendo "]Fantastic. So please tell me why Whitbread (played about 2 and a half games in 2 years) is better than Nelson (superb for a year).

Thanks.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly accept you can add the fact that in those 2 and half games Whitbread didn''t look anything special!

At the moment Whitbread looks like a very bad buy unless he can get a run of fitness and games under his belt!

[quote user="zak123"]As for any of the new players, how can you give them ratings?[/quote]

The same way you''ve already decided Martin and Nelson aren''t good enough, presumably.

I do wonder if some people here have ever had an original thought in their lives.