Sign in to follow this  
Pi$$ed As A Mattress

Rosary Road

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Hopkins Homes now building on the site and will be called Scholar''s Quarter with 113 houses/flats and seven offices. Let''s hope it''s not too chalky underneath....
[/quote]

lol pete, whatever makes you think they''d build there if the ground was like a swiss cheese underneath, no surely not [;)]

[quote user="DENKO"][quote user="Largey"]

On a sidenote, what is the big metal structure for? I have always wondered this as it does not hold anything up (does it?)

Yes you can see part of the old terracing from Rosary Rd, if you look through the gate just past the entrace to Godfreys.

[/quote] It is/was used for storing Gas at atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature), hence it is on Gas Hill (creative thinking when it came to naming roads). There are similar structures across the UK, although most are being de-commissioned, so most of them don''t actually function anymore....[/quote]

There''s one here http://www.t20worldcupcricket.com/T20WCC/images/stories/Cricket_Venues/The_Oval_Cricket_ground01.jpg

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

[quote user="City1st"]I wonder which bit was the family enclosure

[/quote]

I wonder how much it was to get in.

[/quote]

Ask your dad Dunc i am sure he will remember[:P]

Thanks yellowblood and denko, I actually remembered that one near the Oval as well. Just wondered, as I know nothing about gasworks, what the large cylindrical structure is for. It just looks like a steel bracket which once held up a large circular building? Could you shed any light?! Sorry for the scientific analysis on this thread!

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

[/quote]

[/quote]In 1928, Norwich City casual tickets were 2 shillings and sixpence a season.In 1929, due to financial pressures, Norwich City introduced category ''A'' games for the first time for Bolton, Blackpool and Blackburn, which raised the price to 3 shillings.  After a public outcry led by Hilda Kett, the club stopped categorising games and introduced a flat rate tariff of 2 shillings 10 pence for each match.

Thanks NON, makes more sense now :) surprised if it is not used that they haven''t knocked it down, probably costs too much though.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In 1928, Norwich City casual tickets were 2 shillings and sixpence a season.

In 1929, due to financial pressures, Norwich City introduced category ''A'' games for the first time for Bolton, Blackpool and Blackburn, which raised the price to 3 shillings.  After a public outcry led by Hilda Kett, the club stopped categorising games and introduced a flat rate tariff of 2 shillings 10 pence for each match.

[/quote]

Indeed Mister! And Hilda Kett''s public outcry led to the formation of NICSA (Nest Inner Circle Supporters Association). Captain John Tilwaring appointed himself leader with Sergeant Arthur Buttles second in command. Many others were co-opted on to the committee at will as they took the fight straight to the clubs owner Isobella Beeton. A woman that Buttles in particular had no time for. This group had many meetings and finally came up with a plan of action. They were going to invite Mrs Beeton''s Household Manager, Warden Hodgnasty to their AGM and interrogate him over the ticket prices and grading issues. As Lance-Corporal Tangible Fixed Bayonets said at the time "they don''t like it up ''em Captain Tilwaring". But Hodgnasty treated them with contempt stating that more fans were going to games than ever before and were quite happily paying whatever the club wanted to charge. All this prompted local tired old hack Nora Cluckingcrap to write an article stating that all Norwich fans were sheep and Isobella sycophants. The group disbanded a couple of years later to take up civil defence duties on the outbreak of WW2.

" In 1928, Norwich City casual tickets were 2 shillings and sixpence a season."eh ?

[quote user="Cluck"]Rosary Road is in Sprowston.[/quote]Clearly no-one in from Rosemary Road on here...........Those that fall on stoney ground and all that............

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In 1928, Norwich City casual tickets were 2 shillings and sixpence a season.

In 1929, due to financial pressures, Norwich City introduced category ''A'' games for the first time for Bolton, Blackpool and Blackburn, which raised the price to 3 shillings.  After a public outcry led by Hilda Kett, the club stopped categorising games and introduced a flat rate tariff of 2 shillings 10 pence for each match.

[/quote]

Indeed Mister! And Hilda Kett''s public outcry led to the formation of NICSA (Nest Inner Circle Supporters Association). Captain John Tilwaring appointed himself leader with Sergeant Arthur Buttles second in command. Many others were co-opted on to the committee at will as they took the fight straight to the clubs owner Isobella Beeton. A woman that Buttles in particular had no time for. This group had many meetings and finally came up with a plan of action. They were going to invite Mrs Beeton''s Household Manager, Warden Hodgnasty to their AGM and interrogate him over the ticket prices and grading issues. As Lance-Corporal Tangible Fixed Bayonets said at the time "they don''t like it up ''em Captain Tilwaring". But Hodgnasty treated them with contempt stating that more fans were going to games than ever before and were quite happily paying whatever the club wanted to charge. All this prompted local tired old hack Nora Cluckingcrap to write an article stating that all Norwich fans were sheep and Isobella sycophants. The group disbanded a couple of years later to take up civil defence duties on the outbreak of WW2.

[/quote]

Their first meeting took place at St. Andrews Hall so they could distribute catapults to let their enemies know that in Norfolk "it''s the way of the ordinary folk or no way at all." 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]They were going to invite Mrs Beeton''s Household Manager, Warden Hodgnasty to their AGM and interrogate him over the ticket prices and grading issues. As Lance-Corporal Tangible Fixed Bayonets said at the time "they don''t like it up ''em Captain Tilwaring".[/quote]Lance-Corporal Tangible Fixed Bayonets actually welcomed the increased charges as it meant more opportunities to stick the knife in, but these weren''t the views he expressed at committee meetings (which were normally held in a tent somewhere in no-mans land ) and not official policy! [;)][:D]

Warden Nutster and his Lapdog could be found hiding under the kitchen table, rapidly learning to speak German "just in case"

They managed to come out for the queens jubilee. Warden Nutster pronounced that he was well satisfied with all that had happened since he went into hiding and that all the press he had seen by the "nice Mr Goebles" was without doubt a true and honest record of events.So anyone stating different must be wrong and the Germans definately won the war.(It said so)

He was last seen wandering around Mousehold whistling his lost dog who he sent out to find his cat Worthy who had strayed when the first bombs went off!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

[/quote]

[/quote]In 1928, Norwich City casual tickets were 2 shillings and sixpence a season.In 1929, due to financial pressures, Norwich City introduced category ''A'' games for the first time for Bolton, Blackpool and Blackburn, which raised the price to 3 shillings.  After a public outcry led by Hilda Kett, the club stopped categorising games and introduced a flat rate tariff of 2 shillings 10 pence for each match.[/quote]

[/quote]Oh how that sore continues to weep........Contrary to the above... The Purists remain a select group of true local supporters.... and no you needed bother to apply..

[quote user="GenerationA47"]Largey wrote: On a sidenote, what is the big metal structure for? I have always wondered this as it does not hold anything up (does it?) The big cylindrical metal structure on Gas Hill? Can only speculate on what it might hold in store for the folk of Norwich in future - if you''ve got the energy. No idea at all, sorry.[/quote]

In the old days, before electricity, you had gas. Gas to light your lights in the street and show you the way at night and, if you were lucky, show you the way to bed in the home. There was no natural gas and gas was manufactured in most towns and cities by heating coal and driving the gas out of the coal. The unused gas was stored in a gasometer and this also kept the pressure up. That is what the big metal structure is. The Norwich one is Heritage listed which is why it has not been knocked down.