Sign in to follow this  
Pi$$ed As A Mattress

Rosary Road

Bertram Books is now on the old site and behind is still standing parts of the old terrace backing onto St Leonards Road.

Indeed PAAM! And if you zoom in a little more you will be able to see the exact spot where Tilly used to stand on those terraces [;)]

On a sidenote, what is the big metal structure for? I have always wondered this as it does not hold anything up (does it?)

Yes you can see part of the old terracing from Rosary Rd, if you look through the gate just past the entrace to Godfreys.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Bertram Books is now on the old site and behind is still standing parts of the old terrace backing onto St Leonards Road.

[/quote]Bertram Books is now up at Broadland business park, it''s now a building site, except in this age of austerity, they don''t want to build anything.  There is a little blue plaque in recongnition of NCFC against the wall near the gate mind.

I thought Norwich only played at Newmarket Road, The Nest and Carrow Road?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Learn something new every day. I thought we only had 2 grounds - carrow road and the nest.[/quote]

You wonder why people get on your case you silly banana,the Nest and Rosary Road are one and the same.[:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Learn something new every day. I thought we only had 2 grounds - carrow road and the nest.[/quote]

You wonder why people get on your case you silly banana,the Nest and Rosary Road are one and the same.[:P]

[/quote]Well i only ever knew it as the nest [:P]

Oh well learned something new [y]

[quote user="Pissed As A Mattress"]Do any of you guys on here remember Rosary Rd when it was Citys home ground?. Am I right in saying it was next to the big gas thingy?. Does any of it still remain? [/quote]The Nest, on Rosary Road - NOT Rosario Road!! STOPPED being home of Norwich in 1935, or there abouts, so you''d have to be a ripe old age to remember that! About 85 years old, I reckon.The pitch at Newmarket Road is still very much there, somewhere. There''s a plaque there too.

Largey wrote:

On a sidenote, what is the big metal structure for? I have always wondered this as it does not hold anything up (does it?)

The big cylindrical metal structure on Gas Hill? Can only speculate on what it might hold in store for the folk of Norwich in future - if you''ve got the energy. No idea at all, sorry.

Id love to go back in a time machine and stand on the terraces at The Nest and shout: "Give it to Varco!"

Incidentally, does anybody know if The Rosary pub is likely to reopen? It would be a great shame if it''s closed for good, but no great surprise really.

[quote user="Cluck"]
Rosary Road is in Sprowston.
[/quote]

No it isn''t. It links Riverside Road with Thorpe Road (in the vicinity of the railway station). Have a look on google maps.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]Bertrams hasnt been there for years.its next to Godfreys DIY and is all fenced off/boarded up. you can still see the chalk wall on the far side though,

[quote user="Largey"]

Yes you can see part of the old terracing from Rosary Rd, if you look through the gate just past the entrace to Godfreys.

[/quote]

It is/was used for storing Gas at atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature), hence it is on Gas Hill (creative thinking when it came to naming roads).

There are similar structures across the UK, although most are being de-commissioned, so most of them don''t actually function anymore....

[quote user="Dan Druff"]

[quote user="Cluck"]Rosary Road is in Sprowston.[/quote]

No it isn''t. It links Riverside Road with Thorpe Road (in the vicinity of the railway station). Have a look on google maps.

[/quote][:)]  Thank you.

Hopkins Homes now building on the site and will be called Scholar''s Quarter with 113 houses/flats and seven offices. Let''s hope it''s not too chalky underneath....

DENKO wrote:

"It is/was used for ... don''t actually function anymore."

Nice one, Denko - I bet this info was rather more helpful to Largey than my veiled hints.

Interestingly you don''t tend to see gas holders abroad. I quite like ''em.

Sports Desk Pete wrote:

"Let''s hope it''s not too chalky underneath...."

...and, for example, that the Routemaster Club of Great Britain don''t choose the site for their annual rally in the meantime...

[quote user="lordyfan"]the nest must have been on heck of a place!http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1DJYJashoT0/R4fLxd7FQ2I/AAAAAAAAAuY/WzNHla7Wj8U/s320/thenest.jpg[/quote]By all accounts. Long before my time but was told that there was almost a sheer drop of chalk cliff face to the pitch at one end, as your photo suggests. Wouldn''t be allowed now of course. Hundreds of fans pass it when approaching from the north and north west of the county. You get a brief glimpse on your left half way up Rosary Rd - don''t think it''s as easy to see when going back after the match.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Hopkins Homes now building on the site and will be called Scholar''s Quarter with 113 houses/flats and seven offices. Let''s hope it''s not too chalky underneath....[/quote]Just what Norwich needs, more unaffordable housing.  Bravo council.

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Hopkins Homes now building on the site and will be called Scholar''s Quarter with 113 houses/flats and seven offices. Let''s hope it''s not too chalky underneath....
[/quote]

Just what Norwich needs, more unaffordable housing.  Bravo council.
[/quote]

Maybe the city council will give the homes to the old folks they kicked out of that sheltered housing scheme that the council employees moved into 

[quote user="Usain nelson"]

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Hopkins Homes now building on the site and will be called Scholar''s Quarter with 113 houses/flats and seven offices. Let''s hope it''s not too chalky underneath....[/quote]Just what Norwich needs, more unaffordable housing.  Bravo council. [/quote]

Maybe the city council will give the homes to the old folks they kicked out of that sheltered housing scheme that the council employees moved into 

[/quote]Good thinking.