Sign in to follow this  
YellowRoad

Lambert cheats on his own Norwich City (away) Fans

Anybody remember West Ham away in the FA Cup when we were last in the Prem ? We lost three key players to injuries (Huckerby, Drury and Bentley) if my memory serves me correctly, and but for that we would probably have stayed in the Prem.  

There would still have been less than 10,000 in attendence regardless of who would have started yesterday. It is the LEAGUE CUP. It''s not taken seriously until the last sixteen.Plus it is not as though it was a completed weakened team, we don''t even have the players for a solid rotation system.

I remember that Paul, can remember Mattias Jonson (sp?) being in the wars throughout that game as well!

Lost 1-0 I think but was the day we signed Dean Ashton!

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"]I remember that Paul, can remember Mattias Jonson (sp?) being in the wars throughout that game as well! Lost 1-0 I think but was the day we signed Dean Ashton![/quote]

I''m pleased somebody else remembers, TC.  That match more than illustrates the dangers of taking any Cup too seriously IMO, especially on a small squad.  

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

We were as likely to win that cup - than we are just as likely to gain automatic promotion....[/quote]

What planet are you living on? We''ve got more chance of winning a cup that no club outside of the top flight has won since Swindon in 1969 when a lot of top flight sides didn''t even enter.

[/quote]

I''m currently residing on Earth......Do you think we''ll get automatic promotion?

[/quote]

No I don''t but thats not the point you made though is it?

[/quote]

The point I was making, is that there''s nothing wrong for a financially struggling side like ourselves - who have as much chance of achieving promotion as we have of winning any major English football trophy....Just trying that little bit harder to further ourselves in cup-ties and receiving extra revenue from attendances....

I can''t agree with those who call these cup-games non-events and unimportant to the club. 

Any player can get injured in training or whatever, never mind a cup-game... 

I''ll reiterate, Cup games bring in much needed revenue.....20,500 season ticket holders will have to pay for their tickets to attend the Cup game....as will those other fans who wish to attend. Get my point? It may be extra games with risk of injury....but...

....It''s all part and parcel of being a professional career footballer.

That''s why we should have quality strength in depth.....But we don''t really have quality strength in depth, because we can''t really afford it.... 

Back to cup-game attendance revenue....This may go towards strengthening the squad for next season....Because at the moment if I''m brutally honest - I''m not convinced the current squad are capable of achieving promotion....Whether by automatic or through the play-offs....But a few quid from a decent cup-run will possibly increase the managers budget for a January transfer target or a decent assault on the league next-season... 

But remember, cup ties are one-offs....and Millwall went all the way....not so long ago.

Yeah I remember the West Ham game too but you win some you lose some. You can''t go into matches worrying about injuries and what have you (unless someone is carrying a knock). I like the Brian Clough way of thinking, that you play every game with your strongest team to win. That way who knows what will happen?

A phrase often used by Lambert is that the fans are the most important people at the football club. I think he''s slightly conradicted this in fielding a weakened team and then failing to bring on Martin or Surman. I wasn''t bothered because I live only half an hour away but I did feel sorry for those that had to travel all day and all night for that.

Other teams get injuries too !!!

Andrew Croft will play 4 more times for Wales this season, yes he can get injured but that''s part of the game. He will be honoured to pull on his Welsh shirt so no problem with that. And everybody hopes he doesn''t gets injured like Sammy Clingan did every time he played for N-Ireland.

10 years ago a manager would never think about not playing any of his best players for a Cup game because 4 days later there is a League game. It''s a thong the big clubs have started because they have such big squads .. around 50 players. If you see how many players Man U Chelsea and Arsenal loan out every season it''s ridiculous ...

i was at the West Ham game and remember thinking why the hell was Bentley playing after he got injured. It was also the first time we''d seen Malky after he left CR, the biggest noise from the Norwich fans was after the game when he came over.

But back to the main point, football is all about money nowadays more then ever. The only place for that is the Premier league. So cup games become unimportatnt and everyone is scared of lsoing players to either stay in the premier league or get to it.

How long before the FA Cup goes the same way?

If you look at europe most countries have one cup competition and nobody cares about that either.

One thing they do in Spain at least and maybe more is the smaller team is always at home to the larger team (not sure but i guess its seeded). Maybe worth a go in England?

Sorry it''s not as good as you think in Spain because they play their Cup games over 2 legs .. remember last season when Real Madrid lost 4 - 0 away to lower league team Alcorcon, "yes it can be done" and they only won their home match 1 - 0 .

So you have to play 2 games every round !

Hmm the whole argument falls down when you accept the probabilities of so many things. Given that if Holt for instance got injured in the last five minutes of last nights game then he may not get injured say in four weeks time, or if Hoolahan got sent off then he wouldn''t get injured on Saturday ... it is all really irrelevant.

It is not unknown even for a player to get injured in a game because he missed the relevant training and game during the week (so watch out Drury).

When everything is said and done surely it is better that people try to win every game. If you as manager are trying to win (as we clearly were against Newcastle for instance) then it sets you up for future games, gives the team a chance to get into a system, and saves players getting into a relaxed mode.

Whereas if you totally change things you can upset the natural rhythm, bring in complacency and generally upset future performance.

Yes as fans the away fans maybe expected to be short changed last night, but if you lived in Blackburn and had your team coming up there for the first time for a few years you were going to buy a ticket.

If teams aren''t bothered about the competition then the Football League should let the teams not enter. Then in a few years we can all settle down to only watching Champions League on TV during the week - That''s progress!

"smile" great post, totaly agree with you !!!!

The boring Champions League and the Europa League is now exactly of the same format, group games, more games, more money, more injuries (?).

Succes gives you more games to play so accept it (Wenger & Ferguson).

But in "every" qualifying round you lose in the Champion League you still enter the Europa League .. even when you lose you go through .. more games, more money, UEFA ... Sepp Blatter !

Hope Norwich do well at the City Ground like 2 seasons ago on ITV, it can be done, and don''t come across a very good Earnshaw.

Shame Brian Clough''s team is not on show .. we got the whole world in our hands !

Win or lose... the League Cup is a Mickey Mouse tournament. The question to ask is "why do so many City fans waste their time and money going to such pointless fixtures"?Playing safe with your squad is pure and simple common sense.... and the Forest game is what really matters. No doubt all but a few clubs would happily pull out of the competition given the choice, but the hoo ha by doing so wouldn''t be worth the grief.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

The point I was making, is that there''s nothing wrong for a financially struggling side like ourselves - who have as much chance of achieving promotion as we have of winning any major English football trophy....Just trying that little bit harder to further ourselves in cup-ties and receiving extra revenue from attendances....

[/quote]We do have a chance of winning promotion, we have no chance of winning a cup competition no side outside the top flight has won for 40+ years when top tiered sides rarely entered.A full strength side would have probably lost last night and been at a disadvantage come Saturday afternoon.Attendances in the League cup are rubbish & the profits generated minimal.

At some point this season players will be injured. That is part of the game, particularly at championship level. In fact I''m more than willing to wager that some of those players, whom you guys are implying are not ready/good enough to play, will play a major part in this campaign this year. What better time to play then, in a game against a very good side that ultimately will not decide promotion/relegation/play-off positions. That is why managers play these players in these games. That is not "cheating" or going out to lose, that is a logical decision that will reward both the players who played, those who were rested and the team as a whole. Could we have won the game if we had played our first team? Well perhaps, it sounded as though we played quite well last night but also we seemed to struggle to hold them back. Do I think those 4 or 5 players missing would have made the difference? Ultimately I would argue not, and either way what does a win give us anyway? Another game towards eventual elimination. As cliché as it sounds, at the end of the day the league is what counts for us, for the fans, for the players and the manager, and as such it will always take priority.(Also looking at those teams in 2001 was very enlightening, among some of the starters a young Dickson Etuhu, Luke Chadwick and Jermaine Pennant amongst others, would those players have been starters in a league game?)

So let''s get this straight - you''re Norwich City FC supporters and you''re dismissing the only competition we''ve won silverware in!The Spurs, Villa and Sunderland League Cup finals at the old and better Wembley Stadium are all great memories for me - especially the latter.But hell yeah you''re right - it''s become a mickey mouse competition that doesn''t garner enough revenue to be bothering with and winning it merely provides a crap UEFA Cup place that even 2nd Division sides like ourselves shouldn''t be taking seriously [:P]Yes indeed there''s much wrong with the game today - it''s so-called supporters of football like most of you lot that are wrong for the game - you don''t love or even fu*cking like football - the older generations are still attending out of habit because they have little else going on in their lives and the younger generations haven''t got a clue because they weren''t around to witness football before the game became completely money oriented with all the detriment that''s entailed - detriment that you fu*ckers have funded.Suffice it to say, I agree with the OP and Lambert should''ve fielded the form players against Blackburn reserves - the argument that Lambert wanted to rest or keep free from injury form players for Forest on Saturday says what? He doesn''t have any confidence in fringe players stepping up to the plate?How very worrying so early on in the season is that? .

[quote user="Shyster"]So let''s get this straight - you''re Norwich City FC supporters and you''re dismissing the only competition we''ve won silverware in!The Spurs, Villa and Sunderland League Cup finals at the old and better Wembley Stadium are all great memories for me - especially the latter.But hell yeah you''re right - it''s become a mickey mouse competition that doesn''t garner enough revenue to be bothering with and winning it merely provides a crap UEFA Cup place that even 2nd Division sides like ourselves shouldn''t be taking seriously [:P]Yes indeed there''s much wrong with the game today - it''s so-called supporters of football like most of you lot that are wrong for the game - you don''t love or even fu*cking like football - the older generations are still attending out of habit because they have little else going on in their lives and the younger generations haven''t got a clue because they weren''t around to witness football before the game became completely money oriented with all the detriment that''s entailed - detriment that you fu*ckers have funded.Suffice it to say, I agree with the OP and Lambert should''ve fielded the form players against Blackburn reserves - the argument that Lambert wanted to rest or keep free from injury form players for Forest on Saturday says what? He doesn''t have any confidence in fringe players stepping up to the plate?How very worrying so early on in the season is that? .[/quote]Whether you believe it or not, the game has moved on since 1985, the competition in 2010 is of little importance & we simply have no chance of winning it. Had we put out the strongest 11 we would have more than likely lost comfortably, however say we had pulled off an upset, we''d just go out sooner or later anyway and with the pathetic attendances in the competition, little or no money would be made. So what is the point?Resources are better utilised towards the bread & butter, league campaign where something can be achieved. Why disadvantage ourselves in the league for a meaningless cup game or two?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

We do have a chance of winning promotion, we have no chance of winning a cup competition no side outside the top flight has won for 40+ years when top tiered sides rarely entered.

A full strength side would have probably lost last night and been at a disadvantage come Saturday afternoon.

Attendances in the League cup are rubbish & the profits generated minimal.
[/quote]

Our home attendances in the League cup, haven''t been rubbish....and that''s comparing attendances with even bigger clubs for that competition.

18,000+ paying punters for a home cup-tie ticket at £25 to £30 (and including whatever for the younger support)....Is a fair amount of dosh. Probably more attending if it''s a top 8 Premiership side...

Normal home game will at best attract if we''re lucky (on top of the we''ve already paid 20,500 season ticket holders) maybe  4,000+ extra supporters....maybe 1,500 to 2,000 from a well supported visiting club...The rest from NCFC members and casuals...

WE may as well have let Gillingham win the tie - so the squad and support, didn''t have to trundle up to Blackburn and risk injury to our fringe players...eh.

I bet if we draw Chelsea at home again in the FA Cup....You''ll be wetting yourself to get a ticket....Won''t you?

If only Mark Rivers had put the ball away instead of Cudicini saving it.....aaah never mind, the Zola goal at the replay, was superb... 

Nah, that''s also a Mickey Mouse Cup...

Concentrate on the league....and a Championship mid-table finish.

Our home attendances in the League cup, haven''t been rubbish....and that''s comparing attendances with even bigger clubs for that competition.

18,000+ paying punters for a home cup-tie ticket at £25 to £30 (and including whatever for the younger support)....Is a fair amount of dosh. Probably more attending if it''s a top 8 Premiership side...

Normal home game will at best attract if we''re lucky (on top of the we''ve already paid 20,500 season ticket holders) maybe  4,000+ extra supporters....maybe 1,500 to 2,000 from a well supported visiting club...The rest from NCFC members and casuals...

WE may as well have let Gillingham win the tie - so the squad and support, didn''t have to trundle up to Blackburn and risk injury to our fringe players...eh.

I bet if we draw Chelsea at home again in the FA Cup....You''ll be wetting yourself to get a ticket....Won''t you?

If only Mark Rivers had put the ball away instead of Cudicini saving it.....aaah never mind, the Zola goal at the replay, was superb... 

[/quote]

Like the 12,000 attendance against Sunderland at considerably less than £25-30 a ticket. (of which most was junior support at a couple of quid a ticket), those sorts of attendances at that price make virtually nothing when costs are taken off.

I didn''t say deliberately lose a game, it''s called resource management, the league is what matters, if picking a first XI is at the detriment of the league campain then players should be left out.

We keep quoting "the League matters" as if that is an either or situation.

Now correct me if I''m wrong but we aren''t in the Champions League or the Europa League.

So if I was a Manchester United "star" like Wayne Rooney I should only play in whichever competition my manager thought was most important and "rest" the remainder of the time.

Ahh I get it now so I can only play league games or other games and therefore must retire from International football as well.

Then of course I earn so much I don''t even have to get up and get a can of beer out of the fridge I can pay someone to do it for me.

SO if I now give up the most obvious distractions to my fitness like alcohol, clubbing, and NotW scandals of the flesh I should be able to make the top six of whatever league I play in.

AND you wonder why us oldies moan abot the current generation of footballers/managers/fans.

[/quote]I can''t forgive Cudicini for how well he played that day...

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Like the 12,000 attendance against Sunderland at considerably less than £25-30 a ticket. (of which most was junior support at a couple of quid a ticket), those sorts of attendances at that price make virtually nothing when costs are taken off.

I didn''t say deliberately lose a game, it''s called resource management, the league is what matters, if picking a first XI is at the detriment of the league campain then players should be left out.

[/quote]

That Sunderland game was also televised....So NCFC would''ve also earned a few quid from that game....

How many more would have attended that game if it wasn''t televised? More? Less? Did you go? 

Oh, and it was also played during the holidays.....we always have lower attendances for the summer school holidays....don''t we?

I''ll ask again, would you want a ticket if we draw Chelsea or one of the top six at home for the FA Cup....and will Lambo field a few second stringers - or will he put out the strongest squad to play the Chelsea/top six Prem team fringe players?

Some of our first choice 11 could get injured, so I assume they''ll plead with Lambert..."Please Gaffer, don''t pick me to play against nasty rich top of the Premiership Chelsea....I much prefer to stay fit for our game against Bellamy''s Cardiff"....

Or, will he be sensible, and utilise ''resource management'' - and just settle for a mediocre mid-table finish this season?

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

I can''t forgive Cudicini for how well he played that day...
[/quote]

I took great joy in seeing John Terry spectating at that game, with his head wrapped in bandage just shortly after his media publicised fracas and regrettable ''incident'' at a Laaaaandaaaan Club....

[quote user="Doctor Wankenstein"]So let''s get this straight - you''re Norwich City FC supporters and you''re dismissing the only competition we''ve won silverware in!The Spurs, Villa and Sunderland League Cup finals at the old and better Wembley Stadium are all great memories for me - especially the latter.But hell yeah you''re right - it''s become a mickey mouse competition that doesn''t garner enough revenue to be bothering with and winning it merely provides a crap UEFA Cup place that even 2nd Division sides like ourselves shouldn''t be taking seriously [:P]Yes indeed there''s much wrong with the game today - it''s so-called supporters of football like most of you lot that are wrong for the game - you don''t love or even fu*cking like football - the older generations are still attending out of habit because they have little else going on in their lives and the younger generations haven''t got a clue because they weren''t around to witness football before the game became completely money oriented with all the detriment that''s entailed - detriment that you fu*ckers have funded.Suffice it to say, I agree with the OP and Lambert should''ve fielded the form players against Blackburn reserves - the argument that Lambert wanted to rest or keep free from injury form players for Forest on Saturday says what? He doesn''t have any confidence in fringe players stepping up to the plate?How very worrying so early on in the season is that? .[/quote]Fair enough.... but like the FA Cup, it was different then.  Would any future English World Cup win have the same impact as 1966?That''s the the trouble with football these days. With Division Two is now being the Championship and Division Three League One. Play-offs and semi-finals played at the ''new'' Wembley.... It all means feck all other than money in the bank.

How can you be a real football fan, if you dont really care if we get beat!

And a question to all the people that couldnt give a toss about the league cup, Would you have gone to Wembley had we got there?....................Yes, course you would.

You cant pick and choose what game you support them.

Its about time the cup is scrapped if no one wants to be in it!

What was the point in beating Gillingham, we might aswell have put the kids out.

An easy run in the cup, a few bits of luck or beating some Premier League reserve sides could see us at Wembley, should we get Everton, Man City, Spurs in the final, then weve picked up a place in Europe too. By playing a weakend team, we are stopping all hope of that.

Do we not want better for the club, do the fans not want to go to the big grounds, play the big sides, have a cup final?

Realistically were not going to be in the Premiership for quite a while, Europe even longer, so the club should at least try their hardest to give us a cup run.

As a City fan i feel completly cheated, I suspect the fans that went felt even worse!

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Doctor Wankenstein"]So let''s get this straight - you''re Norwich City FC supporters and you''re dismissing the only competition we''ve won silverware in!The Spurs, Villa and Sunderland League Cup finals at the old and better Wembley Stadium are all great memories for me - especially the latter.But hell yeah you''re right - it''s become a mickey mouse competition that doesn''t garner enough revenue to be bothering with and winning it merely provides a crap UEFA Cup place that even 2nd Division sides like ourselves shouldn''t be taking seriously [:P]Yes indeed there''s much wrong with the game today - it''s so-called supporters of football like most of you lot that are wrong for the game - you don''t love or even fu*cking like football - the older generations are still attending out of habit because they have little else going on in their lives and the younger generations haven''t got a clue because they weren''t around to witness football before the game became completely money oriented with all the detriment that''s entailed - detriment that you fu*ckers have funded.Suffice it to say, I agree with the OP and Lambert should''ve fielded the form players against Blackburn reserves - the argument that Lambert wanted to rest or keep free from injury form players for Forest on Saturday says what? He doesn''t have any confidence in fringe players stepping up to the plate?How very worrying so early on in the season is that? .[/quote]Fair enough.... but like the FA Cup, it was different then.  Would any future English World Cup win have the same impact as 1966?That''s the the trouble with football these days. With Division Two is now being the Championship and Division Three League One. Play-offs and semi-finals played at the ''new'' Wembley.... It all means feck all other than money in the bank.[/quote]Feck it!That''s what happens when you''re trying to keep up with this place while watching Porrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn     at the same    Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime................... 

Shock, horror, clubs elect to rest key players /play fringe players/ try out different formations in micky mouse competition! What is the world coming too?