Sign in to follow this  
YellowRoad

Lambert cheats on his own Norwich City (away) Fans

Sometimes I don''t understand football anymore .. why do teams still participate .. if they don''t take it serously (Lambert).  I thought it was their job to perform and entertain supporters .. Norwich changed their team in 7 positions .. now you finally have a game against a Premier League team .. so why not play your best team and try to beat them .. the only thing you hear is .. but we also have a League game on saturday .. so what (???) .. Norwich were only 1 - 0 down ..  playing reasonable .. were still in the game .. when Lambert took off his best players Hoolahan and Holt 20 minutes from time .. what the hell is going on ?

You here the radio commentator Neil Adams say .. yesss we have a far more important League game on saturday v Forest .. and you don''t want injuries .. come on man .. this was an important game too .. many Norwich supporters traveled all the way to Blackburn .. I think they are treated badly by Norwich and in this case the Manager Paul Lambert.

Many Blackburn supporters had read about their manager saying he would make a few changes .. and people don''t like that and and the attendance showed .. only 9.235 .. because both managers cheated.

And to hear people say this is good for our fringe players .. what is good (?) .. to lose 3 - 0 and being knocked out of the League Cup by taking it not seriously .. hmmm good for their confidence.

Our fringe players should play every week in our Reserve side but we have pulled out of it AGAIN ... what a joke.

This was all started by the rotating system Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool introduced, and now most clubs are doing it too, but we don''t have good enough players to do this and still perform well. If we had played our starting eleven from last saturday (except Nelson) we could have beaten Blackburn, for sure.

In november 2001 only 30.000 (!!!) people at Highbury watched two weakened sides in a 4 - 0 win for Arsenal v Man United. Also millions of people around the world where asking themselves, where are all the stars, this looks like a Reserves match. Normally this would have been a sell out but people already knew about what was going to happen, see this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/photo_galleries/football/1639391.stm  and see the last photo !

Not so long ago Bolton played in the UEFA Cup v Sporting Lissabon and Gary Megson, yes we know him, played a second string because he still had important League games to play.

But this game v Sporting Lissabon should have been the most important game in their history, because you can''t reach anything higher in Europe, when will they ever play in Europe again and go that far ....

That post was like a stream of consciousness.

Sometimes I really don''t understand posts on here anymore....

No body cares anymore about the league cup, well maybe the lower prem teams but that is all.

Lambert prob only saw it as a reserve match even though he wouldn''t admit it, he had no intensions of taking it seriously and nor should we!

I feel sorry for all those who travelled all the way to Blackburn to watch the reserves, but I have to say I agree with what Lambo did. You do wonder what sort of future this cup has. The attendances were pathetic at each and every fixture, with only one respectable gathering at Upton Park (just over 20,000).

[quote user="Dan Druff"]I feel sorry for all those who travelled all the way to Blackburn to watch the reserves, but I have to say I agree with what Lambo did. You do wonder what sort of future this cup has. The attendances were pathetic at each and every fixture, with only one respectable gathering at Upton Park (just over 20,000).[/quote]Surely those who travelled weren''t naive enough to believe we would have fielded a full team beforhand though?

YellowRoad, have you not considered the league IS more important? We are one division away from playing teams like Blackburn week in week out. 3 points, 1 point, who knows, may be the difference between us staying in this division and getting out of it, so yes Sherlock, of course he will make sure Holt and Hoolahan aren''t given 90 minutes so they are fully fit and fully capable of potentially GETTING those vital 1 or 3 points away at another playoff contender in Forest.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]I feel sorry for all those who travelled all the way to Blackburn to watch the reserves, but I have to say I agree with what Lambo did. You do wonder what sort of future this cup has. The attendances were pathetic at each and every fixture, with only one respectable gathering at Upton Park (just over 20,000).[/quote]

Whilst I applaud anybody who went up ther last night, I would also have to question their sanity. As far as I''m concerned they did this entirely at theiur own risk as there was always going to be every chance that players would be rested for this match.

If you were a fan sitting there last night and saw the two best players taken off with 30 mins to go whilst it was 1-0 and we were still in the game, I''m guessing you would have been rather non-plussed?

I tend to agree. I felt a bit sorry for those that had travelled all the way from Norfolk last night. It wasn''t a bad game but it did have a reserve fixture feel about it. I think we would have given them a good game had we sent out a full team. We''d have soon found out how "meaningless" this fixture was had we got through and drawn Man Utd in the next round.  

38 teams played last night, and yes it''s not likely one of them will be in the final but you play for honour and you try to beat better opposition in the Cup, that''s Cup football. And to take of Holt and Hoolahan when we still had a chance to equalise is very strange to me.

And what do you mean with risk players .. in every game of football they play there is a risk you can get injured .. that''s part of the game .. we also played Holt and Hoolahan from the start so why not the others.

In 58/59 we reached the semi finals of the FA Cup because it was a good team and we played the same team in League and Cup and not our Reserves. We, Norwich FC and supporters took it seriously, also our 4 League Cup Finals.

And what do you think that in the 50''s/60''s/70''s/80''s and 90''s you could not get injured in Cup games, come on, it''s just a trend and everbody is talking the same rubbish and accept it like a puppet.

They are well paid pro''s who have a job to do and yes they can get injured anytime .. that''s football !!!!!

I suggest the OP reads Rudolph Hucker''s thread.....PAUL LAMBERT:HOW TO WIN WHEN YOU LOSE.

A far more realistic approach to what went on last night.

I think you''ve just answered your own question YellowRoad. The blame isn''t with Lambert, it''s with football in general, seeing as you''ve recognised just about every team has done it.

If you expect Norwich to play a full team against blackburn and your willing to go up there on a tuesday night ..... you got what you deserved IMO.Dont moan about it, i think its a clever move by Lambert, keeping the players fresh for a far more important game saturday. C''mon city

Lambert had already said he would makes the changes, and rightly so. If Holt stayed on and got an injury, and would be out for months, you wouldn''t be happy! NCFC are not going to win the Carling Cup, and knowing us would have been drawn to somebody like MK Dons away and lost anyway. We have a very important (and a tough) game away at Forest on Saturday, who I feel will be in the top 6 come the end of the season, despite their poor start. If we want to be competing there come May, we have to make sacrafices in meaningless games such as last night.

I agree that putting out a weaker team was the right thing to do, and frankly Im not fussed about the Carling cup.  Im not sure everyone would have been so positive if this exact same match took place under the tenure of Roeder or Grant, although im glad we are finally seeing the positives in things rather than the 06-08 years where everything was negative.

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]shut up moaning you old fart.

carling cup means nothing and realistically we aint going to win it.

Dry your eyes.
[/quote]

But you have to laugh don''t you, these people who slate the manager, Had I been in his position I would have done the same, Why, well 1''st this cup is a no win thing for us, 2nd we have players out and no money to buy any more, 3rd Ideal to have a look at the players who normally keep the bench warm, RUDD had a good game and so did the rest, the score was of no importance, (bit like a pre season match) for both clubs, 4th point The League is more important, so rest players that can win the league matches, Not Rocket science is it

This is what I put on another thread before the game yesterday :-"Can''t say I''m overly arsed lol.A win would be nice, and keeping

the winning habit would be good, and getting fringe players involved in

the absence of a reserve league would be handy, and we may make some

cash.So, on balance, a win would be good, but if we lost I

certainly wouldn''t lose much sleep, I would take 3 points on Saturday at

Forest over a win tonight."Which, in my opinion, is how people should have been viewing last night.

We were as likely to win that cup - than we are just as likely to gain automatic promotion....

Did Big Sam take the cup game seriously? Probably a bit more seriously than Paul Lambert....

A good cup run is an avenue of raising required revenue....If we were to have been fortunate enough to progress further in that cup competition - and then draw a big club at home....the money raised from a probable nearly full house for that game, would amount to a much needed tidy sum.

We also may have drawn an average side.... 

But, every punter has to pay for a cup-game....Season ticket holders, super members, members, casuals, curious, glory hunters and other folk....like corporate clients.

And NCFC could have charged Grade A prices for a Premier side....and maybe Grade B or C for an average side.

I guarantee that folk would have paid those prices....

But fortunately, we can now seriously concentrate on the league....

That is, till that Mickey Mouse FA Cup, comes along.... 

Wrong, wrong and wrong, Mello.

There is no prize money in the league cup until the semi final. Unlike the FA Cup in which you win money by winning in each round.

The only money you get is the money associated with attendance and any live TV money. So, basically, if you have, for example, Burton v Manchester Utd with a full attendance and all the TV coverage, it''s worth being in the league cup. If it''s, again for example, Norwich v Gillingham, it''s barely worth the trouble and time.

As said, the FA cup is entirely different.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

We were as likely to win that cup - than we are just as likely to gain automatic promotion....[/quote]

What planet are you living on? We''ve got more chance of winning a cup that no club outside of the top flight has won since Swindon in 1969 when a lot of top flight sides didn''t even enter.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Wrong, wrong and wrong, Mello. There is no prize money in the league cup until the semi final. Unlike the FA Cup in which you win money by winning in each round. The only money you get is the money associated with attendance and any live TV money. So, basically, if you have, for example, Burton v Manchester Utd with a full attendance and all the TV coverage, it''s worth being in the league cup. If it''s, again for example, Norwich v Gillingham, it''s barely worth the trouble and time. As said, the FA cup is entirely different.[/quote]

Rather than you leaping into the river of rapid retort - and in turn stupidly slicing your leg open on a dumped shopping trolley....Read my post.

I never mentioned prize-money, I only mentioned attendance revenue....A percentage of which goes to the home side and a slice to the away side....Which to a club in an unfortunate financial situation as ourselves, would really welcome....

Feel free to go on a ranting tangent....I''d expect nothing less...

Get that cut seen to - and take a tetanus jab....You may also wish to pop down to specsavers while you''re at it....

Have to say I disagree with most of that mello.

Ive no doubt we''re more chance of gaining auto promotion than we ever had of winning the league cup - even if it is still a slim chance.

I doubt the revenue from a league cup run is impressive at all, of course NCFC would make a bit of money from the home fixtures but I have my doubts whether an A grade blackburn home tie would actually sell out - they are not a side that will draw in the crowds and (more importantly) what with it being the league cup imo there would be thousands of empty seats, (remember season ticket holders would be required to buy a ticket)

for me its a no brainer, the big teams dont care, and we cant win the thing (I think it will end up being a youthful top 4 side), coupled with the little income we''d receive from it and the risk of injures, or clogging up of fixtures, id much rather we put all our efforts into the league and the rather more profitable FA Cup when it comes along.

That said, I would have been happy and willing to see us progress if it meant giving some of the fringe players (as Lambert did) a run out, as it obviously got them some playing time, but I cant think feel any sympathy for those who travelled up to see a second string team, whether you agree with Lambert or not, you must of known it was going to happen.

It''s definitely the right decision to prioritise the league with such a great chance of the play-offs available. Leeds lost their way and almost failed in promotion last season due to a cup run, and I really don''t want that to happen to us. Lambert made the correct decisions last night IMO.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

We were as likely to win that cup - than we are just as likely to gain automatic promotion....[/quote]

What planet are you living on? We''ve got more chance of winning a cup that no club outside of the top flight has won since Swindon in 1969 when a lot of top flight sides didn''t even enter.

[/quote]

I''m currently residing on Earth......Do you think we''ll get automatic promotion?

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

I''m currently residing on Earth......Do you think we''ll get automatic promotion?

[/quote]No I don''t but thats not the point you made though is it?

I don''t see how Lambert can win either way in this situation. If he plays his first XI it will still be very difficult to win against a side who only lost 3 times at home last season. If players like Drury, Holt or Hoolahan for whom there are no direct replacements due to injuries or other reasons get injured Lambert would be criticised for not prioritising the league. He would also be criticised if we tired or faded late on against Forest on Saturday. However if they dont play Lambert is accused of sailing the fans down the river and not taking the competition seriously. Personally I don''t think the competition takes itself seriously with its ridiculous seeding system. Its meant to be cup meaning its random and a bit of fun. But thats for another day I guess.

Personally I didn''t have a problem with what Lambert did. Supporters travelled in the knowledge that Lambert was going to make changes so I dont buy the idea they were misled. I also think it is important that some of the squad players get some game time because they are likely to be needed throughout the season. I also liked the fact that Jackson and Holty played together up front for a bit because that is a combination which could have a lot of potential as it is the classic big man/little man partnership. The likes of Francomb need experience of playing in the first team as I think Korey Smith is too valuable to be shunted into right back should Russell Martin get injured/suspended. It is also reassuring that Rudd performed well should anything happen to Ruddy.