Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

If we go up this season..?

Waaaaay too early for that... BUTSurman, Ruddy and maybe Ward. I guess if they go up it means the team would have gelled well though, so maybe a few shrewd signings to keep us up first season would be enough. Full backs, CB and a striker.

Forget it, we won''t go up NO WayWatford beat usSwansea looked better than us, we were luckyScunthorpe are a below average team and we nearly drewokay we have got 6 pts out of 9 which is promotion stuff but against average teams and we have been lucky okay we made our own luckand I,m very please with 9pts but I,ve seen nothing to think we are good enough yet for promotion/Now if we had signed Bellamy instead of Cardiff then I would say we have a realistic chance lolThink we are 2 decent players off promotion our defence is our weakness.

I believe these players could do a job in the prem,Adam Drury,Andrew Surman,Wes Hoolahan,Grant Holt,Elliot Ward,Michael NelsonApart from that, we''d need a fair few players in, in order to mount a serious surivial challenge.

[quote user="Fantom Runner"]Forget it, we won''t go up NO WayWatford beat usSwansea looked better than us, we were luckyScunthorpe are a below average team and we nearly drewokay we have got 6 pts out of 9 which is promotion stuff but against average teams and we have been lucky okay we made our own luckand I,m very please with 9pts but I,ve seen nothing to think we are good enough yet for promotion/Now if we had signed Bellamy instead of Cardiff then I would say we have a realistic chance lolThink we are 2 decent players off promotion our defence is our weakness.[/quote]Playing poorly and beating average/poor teams is the mark of a capable squad.Teams at the tether end of the league regularly outplay those at the top end. Reluctantly remembering the final months of Roeder''s reign, we played some brilliant football, and through that we came out with the odd surprise result against Sheffield United or Wolves, but up against the likes of Coventry, Southampton or Crystal Palace we were quite often useless. We got relegated. Surely there is no harm in a different approach this time?We also haven''t hit form in our football in any of our games so far, i think that''s something we can all agree on. If we adapt to find a system that is more suitable to this league, or we start to perform better in the current one, there is well and truly no side in this league that we''re not capable of beating.Blackpool were beaten by Barnsley (twice), Ipswich (twice), Sheffield Wednesday (twice) and Crystal Palace upon their promotion. Did non too bad though did they?

[quote user="Fantom Runner"]Forget it, we won''t go up NO Way

Watford beat us
Swansea looked better than us, we were lucky
Scunthorpe are a below average team and we nearly drew

okay we have got 6 pts out of 9 which is promotion stuff but against average teams and we have been lucky okay we made our own luck
and I,m very please with 9pts but I,ve seen nothing to think we are good enough yet for promotion/

Now if we had signed Bellamy instead of Cardiff then I would say we have a realistic chance lol

Think we are 2 decent players off promotion our defence is our weakness.
[/quote]

I actually think the defence will be okay.  Ward started badly but has got better each game and if he was as bad as some people make out he wouldn''t have played in the Championship for as long as he has done.  Ruddy will turn out to be a good keeper.  Again, he started badly and people were far to quick to get on his back.  Drury is one of the best left backs in the Championship.  Nelson will do a job, so will Askou and Whitbread is still to come back so who knows, he could be brilliant!  The right back spot is the only real weakness in defence but R.Martin has got a lot better in the last few games.

The one area I see us struggling is the midfield.  We have the players to do well but if Lambert is persistant with the diamond then maybe we will get overun in that department a bit.

Also lets not talk about promotion already.  After the Watford game most people were doubting whether we will stay up.  And whoever said Nelson would make it in the Premiership, noooooooooo way!

our defence is our weakness?? would that be the defence who has let in 1 goal in 3 games?

Just because the performances haven''t been particularly good we are winning games and that is the sign of a good team.

Whilst we can''t get carried away, there are some on this board who would have you believe we''re relegation fodder, anything but on our start in this league.

[quote user="Daz"]I believe these players could do a job in the prem,

Adam Drury,
Andrew Surman,
Wes Hoolahan,
Grant Holt,
Elliot Ward,
Michael Nelson

Apart from that, we''d need a fair few players in, in order to mount a serious surivial challenge.
[/quote]

And someone with a great big fat bank ballance

Korey Smith?!

In my personal opinion this guy should be in the under 21s side and i dont think it will be too long before premier league scouts come to carrow road to see him.

I think he is definitly capable of making the step up

I don''t care if we make no changes and lose every game in the Prem, as long as we go up. This division is distinctly average so we have a great chance. [:D]

[quote user="Dan Druff"]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]noone in the squad is capable of making the next level[/quote]

Noone was the lead singer in Hermans Hermits, wasn''t he?

[/quote]

Yes he was. He was Len Fairclough''s son Stanley from a time before Len settled down with Rita.

Must go, I think that''s my therapist at the door...

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"][quote user="Dan Druff"]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]noone in the squad is capable of making the next level[/quote]

Noone was the lead singer in Hermans Hermits, wasn''t he?

[/quote]

Yes he was. He was Len Fairclough''s son Stanley from a time before Len settled down with Rita.

Must go, I think that''s my therapist at the door...

[/quote]He also suffered from some form of psychotic dementia at one stage, poor soul actually believed he was HenryVIII apparently .........

I don''t want Norwich to be humiliated like Blackpool and Wigan.

There is no way we could pay the wages or buy in the players we would need to stay up in the first year. Just think about the power and the might of Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham and look at the struggle of  Hull, Reading, Burnley, West Brom.

The Premiership needs to be split 1/3rd :2/3rds to give Championship new boys a fair go.The gap at the moment is just too big.

[quote user="Bobert"]

There is no way we could pay the wages or buy in the players we would need to stay up in the first year. Just think about the power and the might of Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham and look at the struggle of  Hull, Reading, Burnley, West Brom.

The Premiership needs to be split 1/3rd :2/3rds to give Championship new boys a fair go.The gap at the moment is just too big.

[/quote]

If humiliation clears our debts, I''d settle for it...

The team isn''t ready for promotion this season unless we''re only interested in being one season wonders, and neither is the manager, good as he is.  If we did go up it would just show how carp the rest of this league is.  Finish just outside the playoffs, add a bit more quality next season and now you''re talking.

Why not just add quality over the summer? (If we went up).

People have very short memories, I remember Hull coming to Carrow Road, drawing 1-1 and they were behind us in the table, think it was a Tuesday night, Fraizer Campbell scored for them a break away goal. (February maybe?) and we only stayed up the penultimate weekend, the line is very fine in the Championship.

They went up and they were a crap team, and didn''t really deserve it but stayed up because they signed quality players, but last season got player who were just picking up a pay cheque, if you''re good with the money you have you can build a solid base. Which is what Blackpool are trying to achieve and good on them, not spending beyond on their means, that deserves recognition. I''m glad Hull are sinking, shouldn''t have got ahead of themselves and signed £40,000 a week players, who are currently rotting in their reserves.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Bobert"]

[/quote]

If humiliation clears our debts, I''d settle for it...

[/quote]

I wouldn''t nor would the players etc.

[quote user="USA Canary"]Korey Smith?! In my personal opinion this guy should be in the under 21s side and i dont think it will be too long before premier league scouts come to carrow road to see him. I think he is definitly capable of making the step up[/quote]

Korey is a good player but he''s not that good.

Lots of energy and he''ll run all day but you can clearly see when he plays that he lacks a bit of know-how when he''s on the ball and how to influence the game.

When you look at who else will be in the U21s - the likes of Jack Rodwell, Marc Albrighton, Jack Wilshere and Jordan Henderson - I think you can see that Korey is a bit off that kind of level.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="USA Canary"]Korey Smith?! In my personal opinion this guy should be in the under 21s side and i dont think it will be too long before premier league scouts come to carrow road to see him. I think he is definitly capable of making the step up[/quote]

Lots of energy and he''ll run all day but you can clearly see when he plays that he lacks a bit of know-how when he''s on the ball and how to influence the game.

When you look at who else will be in the U21s - the likes of Jack Rodwell, Marc Albrighton, Jack Wilshere and Jordan Henderson - I think you can see that Korey is a bit off that kind of level.

[/quote]

Couldn''t disagree more!

I don''t think he gets as much credit as he deserves for that side of his game.  He runs, works hard and wins the ball but, unlike a Russel he gets his head up and looks forward and when there is an oppurtunity for the killer pass he plays it and it''s usually pretty good.  Next time you see him play count the number of times he gives it away.  You won''t need to use both of your hands!

You say, ''you can clearly see he lacks a bit of know-how''.  Well I would say you can clearly see he has a very good footballing brain.

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Couldn''t disagree more!

I don''t think he gets as much credit as he deserves for that side of his game.  He runs, works hard and wins the ball but, unlike a Russel he gets his head up and looks forward and when there is an oppurtunity for the killer pass he plays it and it''s usually pretty good.  Next time you see him play count the number of times he gives it away.  You won''t need to use both of your hands!

You say, ''you can clearly see he lacks a bit of know-how''.  Well I would say you can clearly see he has a very good footballing brain.

[/quote]

It''s not necessarily about giving the ball away, it''s sometimes about doing things that will hurt the opposition.

I know you''re a big fan, that comes across in a lot of your posts, and I like the guy as well. But for me Korey is very good when it comes to chasing people down, applying pressure and giving the ball simple but I don''t see any signs that he quite has that bit of guile about him when it gets to the final third.

There were a couple of good examples of this in the Swansea game, once when he broke forward but didn''t know what ball to play and ended up playing a ball poor in the direction of Martin (who I think might have been caught offside anyway). Another was when the ball came across the box to him and he hit a shot straight down the middle of the goal into the ''keeper. Now, obviously that could happen to a more experienced player but they were two good opportunities to damage Swansea and both times he got it wrong.

Moreoever, I think when you look at the Swansea game in general you can see that really he was never really able to get on the ball and dictate the play. Both Pratley and Gower were classier performers in the midfield. Not that any of our midfield particularly shined but if Korey Smith was as good as he was being made out to be then perhaps he would have done have better job of taking the game to Swansea and influencing the play.

Korey is still good a player and I think he has a lot to offer us and I''m sure he''ll improve in the future but, as with pretty much any academy product, people are getting carried away with just how good he is.

[quote user="Pabs"]I think he could get in England U-21 squad this season.[/quote]I simply love how that follows on from GJP''s post.