Sign in to follow this  
Delia Out!

Hoolahan

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Have we all forgotten his man of the match performance at Scunthorpe last week then?

Oh, of course we have.  This is the Pink''un.
[/quote]

Yes he played well against Scunthorpe, but they are favourites for relegation along with Barnsley, and today against one of the better teams in the league, he has shown that he obviously can''t cut with the top of the Championship.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I don''t think that he is Championship standard.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]Well... not really. He''d been playing well for Blackpool in the Championship before he joined us. So he had an off-day - big deal.
[/quote]

When hooly doesn''t keep the ball though we dont have anyone else capable of keeping the ball like he does. And when we need an outlet pass he needs to be on form.

I must admit that I didn''t think anyone played well today appart from Ward who was brilliant. And drury for me just looked shaken up after having a real tough challenge from the 2 swansea wingers as they were both quicker than him and he just couldn''t cope which is very much unlike drury.

[quote user="Delia Out"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="baldyboy"]he was garbage today!! Not one decent pass whole game!! he is a luxury we may not be able to carry him this year if he has too many off days!!!
[/quote]

Talk about hypocrisy. So we''re allowed to abuse one of our best players but now that the new boys have had a decent game we all have to get behind them. [:S][^o)]

[/quote]

Yes, we get behind the new boys because they all had a good/great game today, whereas Hoolahan was truly dreadful.

Nobody ''has to get behind them'' as you put it, I and many others are praising the new players on today''s performance because they all played well/very well, but I''m not going to give praise and get behind Hoolahan on today''s performance.

Last season he was great, but at this level, as so many others have put it, he is a luxury.

[/quote]

Not quite sure why you''ve picked up on a point I was making  directlyto Baldyboy (hence me quoting him and not you) as my reply was in relation to his thread started up about getting off the new boy''s backs, but then bashes Hoolahan.

He had a bad game but several players did so why pick him out?  At least he always wanted the ball as usual and his head never drops - he just tries again.  One bad match does not show that a player ''can''t cut it at the top of the Championship''.We''ve played three league games and already players are either being written off or they are going to be world beaters.

Christ almighty. I come back after celebrating a joyous win, to this?

Do we all have top notch days at work? Just because Hoolahan had an off day doesn''t mean he didn''t try or he isn''t a good game.

I don''t even no why I bother coming on here when I see some tripe that people spew all over this forum.

Whilst I realise this thread is about Hoolahan, urdie_Canary why does it "hurt" you to say Russell Martin looked OK...surely thats what we want isn''t it?

And the fans who think that players never make mistakes and should be perfect in a robot like way need to get in the real world, but then again I should for thinking that cause some fans have always been like that going back years and years! 

legend Iwan, so I cannot have an opinion then? oh rite I forgot unless I toe the line I am a bad boy!!!  the reason i said about the new boys is because since the season began they have had a slating thats all. I am allowed to have an opinion which is that today Hoolahan was awful, how many times did he give the ball away and put us in trouble? at this level we cannot afford to have that happen. i rate the guy but think he is a luxury player at this level and dont know whether we can afford that as there are not too many other match winners in our squad, thats all, but I consider myself chastised for having an opinion!!!thatss why I hate posting on this site because the forum police are always watching!!!

[quote user="Hissing Sid"]Whilst I realise this thread is about Hoolahan, urdie_Canary why does it "hurt" you to say Russell Martin looked OK...surely thats what we want isn''t it?[/quote]No! That''s not what we want!  We want to find every single weakness in all our first team players and then carp about them here relentlessly until we are proved right when they actually do make one single mistake.

[quote user="baldyboy"]legend Iwan, so I cannot have an opinion then? oh rite I forgot unless I toe the line I am a bad boy!!!  the reason i said about the new boys is because since the season began they have had a slating thats all. I am allowed to have an opinion which is that today Hoolahan was awful, how many times did he give the ball away and put us in trouble? at this level we cannot afford to have that happen. i rate the guy but think he is a luxury player at this level and dont know whether we can afford that as there are not too many other match winners in our squad, thats all, but I consider myself chastised for having an opinion!!!

thatss why I hate posting on this site because the forum police are always watching!!!
[/quote]

Forum Police? It''s not like I picked up on your spelling and grammar mistakes. [8-)]

I was talking about how you are a hypocrit for telling people to get off of certain players backs and then sounding off how after less than a handful of matches into the season - and only one bad match for Hoolahan that he is now too much of a luxuary that we cannot afford on the pitch.

That smacks of double standards!

He had a poor game today, especially against his own high standards.

However, something I would say is that it was perhaps easier spotting him having a bad day because he kept trying to get on the ball and make something happen. The same could be said of Grant Holt, didn''t play well for the most part but did try to battle away.

Now, if you were to look at Chris Martin I thought he was worse than both Hoolahan and Holt but maybe got away with it a bit because he went missing too often, too often he was second best to things and when he did get the ball he rarely made any real use of it. The poorest I have seen him play under Paul Lambert, I would say.

double standards? dream on, he didnt play well get over it!!!as for the others they have been pilloried since they have been here, read the thread properly before criticising, all i said was what others said but I am ahypocrite? well i wont say on here what I think you are!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]double standards? dream on, he didnt play well get over it!!!

as for the others they have been pilloried since they have been here, read the thread properly before criticising, all i said was what others said but I am ahypocrite? [/quote]

Double standards, yes. Because you tell others to stop getting on players backs and then go and doing exactly that about Hoolahan i.e double standards. Hoolahan was certainly poor today, we all know he can be a luxury on rare occasions, however, he is what makes our midfield tick and was exceptional last season. Also, if you cast your mind back to the relegation season, his time out imjured cost us dearly - so I''m sure he''ll be just fine in this league.

You a hypocrit for the above, something the others haven''t done.

[quote user="baldyboy"]well i wont say on here what I think you are!! [/quote]

I presume this ^ is because you''re only capable of responding by swearing.

I find Hoolahan very frustrating, I can take players having an off day and passes going astray but I would like to see him actually try to win a tackle to get the ball back.My MOTM today was Korey Smith.

Rubish! Im sorry but hooly was a fine player in league 1 but he has been awfull the start of this season apart from scunthorp aparently! I would love to know his pass compleation and run compleation stats not our best player! Page 2 I think some one said we have no one else can hold the ball like him... Are u blind! Mcnamme?? Olie??! By fare better players! And anougher player not up to scratch nelson! Awful he cant do ne thinp apart from header! Causes most problems at the back today he stood and watched atleast 3 players run past him with the ball without moving! Change him stronger defence! Change wes better delivery for the forwards facts! Other than this great start to the season bring on forest!

Probably our biggest collective strength- our front three- were all poor today.  Yet we beat a side who finished 7th last season 2-0.  Reason to celebrate imo.

I saw Hoolahan''s face when he came off and was met by Lambert and Wes clearly knew himself he hadn''t played well and was disappointed. Give him a break.

I think at the end of the day you have to accept who and what Hoolahan is.  He is the type of player that when he is on his game, playing well and seeing a lot of the ball he is a handful for any team and a match winner.  When he is off his game, he is a luxury no team can afford.  I accept him the way he is and others should too, it''s nothing to do with going up a level, he was like this last season too. 

While not in the same league, he can be compared to Hux in the sense that he really doesn''t fit any orthodox position in modern football.  He''s not a winger, not a midfielder, nor is he a striker.  Sometimes these players run the show, sometimes they only serve to make the team look disjointed and lacking shape. 

Hoolahan is not out of his depth at this level, it''s just the type of player he is, he will run hot and cold week to week but I wouldn''t be without him when he is in the mood.

Sorry but Korey Smith was no MOTM, he did naff all, all match.

The difference between the 2 players is that people expect much from Hoolahan, people have little to no expectation of Korey.

People ought to look back and see how many misplaced passes were made by the whole team and then factor in that its much harder to complete a forward pass in the final third than it is any other type of pass. We have a great many number of players who are excellent at passing the ball sideways or backwards - Thats why when Hoolahan was missing last year we created nothing.

[quote user="Downloads"]

Sorry but Korey Smith was no MOTM, he did naff all, all match.

The difference between the 2 players is that people expect much from Hoolahan, people have little to no expectation of Korey.

People ought to look back and see how many misplaced passes were made by the whole team and then factor in that its much harder to complete a forward pass in the final third than it is any other type of pass. We have a great many number of players who are excellent at passing the ball sideways or backwards - Thats why when Hoolahan was missing last year we created nothing.

[/quote]Very good point, I think that last season Korey was treated very much as "Ah, he''s only young, and its his first full season" and he was given a lot of leeway. However this season he''s a proper member of the squad and his performances must be judged against those of his peers, without prejudice.Personally, I think he has got what it takes to be great.

Completely agree, i think he will be a great player for us.

However for a poster above to say Korey was MOTM and Hoolahan was rubbish, they must have been watching a different match from me. Comparing them as equals, there wasn''t much between them, both distinctly average.

[quote user="Downloads"]

Completely agree, i think he will be a great player for us.

However for a poster above to say Korey was MOTM and Hoolahan was rubbish, they must have been watching a different match from me. Comparing them as equals, there wasn''t much between them, both distinctly average.

[/quote]

Well at least Smith completed more than one pass and went in for tackles, unlike Hoolahan.

Don''t get me wrong, Hoolahan can be a great player at times, as shown last season, but at this level, he will struggle against most teams.

And then the game where he destroys another teams defence we all claim he is the best player in the league.