Sign in to follow this  
Suffolk exile

Is it a slight disadvantage...

...that we are on TV tomorrow night? Given that last season the diamond was so much more effective until teams started to work us out, this will be an opportunity for literally all the Championship managers to take an early look at our slightly unusual formation. Still wouldn''t turn down th £70k I suppose.

I think every team will do their research before playing us and be well aware of the diamond. i don''t think its an element of surprise that makes it successful. Managers will set out ways of dealing with it but if the players perform the diamond will prove its strengths.

I wouldn''t have thought being on TV was that much of a disadvantage, surely all managers have their next opponents watched anyway? And even if teams have "worked us out" surely if we are good enough we will still beat them.

I know it is a fairly lame point and I won''t labour it anymore - as I''m sure managers would have access to all games taped. But the first 4 or 5 weeks we adopted the diamond teams simply could not handle us last season. Should we tonk Watford on TV it is bound to make people sit up and notice and do that little bit more preparation on how to play our system.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Chelsea are hardly a rigid 4-4-2 team - they get lots of TV exposure and it doesn''t prevent them winning?...[/quote]True, but comparing us and Chelsea to our respective leagues is hardly a fair comparison...

And also premier league teams are features of sky tv every week, its not a one off like friday night

To be honest it would be very incompetent of a manager if they didn''t know how Norwich played when they were preparing their team in training for a match against us. In league 1 last year practically everyone knew how we play and a variety of methods were tried in order to stop us. Some of those like packing the midifield didn''t work while others like man marking Hoolahan (which I thought Jimmy Abdou did suprebly for Millwall) were very effective. However ulimately it should be remember that we never lost back to back games under Lambert. That says to me the system has a great deal of longevity because even though teams knew what we were going to do they never entirely sussed it.

Personally having tseen he Everton game I think David Fox might be the key man for us this season. He really does provide that link between defence and midfield with his excellent range of passing. It would not surprise me if the opposition started to man mark him in later games. Thus trying to stop our attacks at the source and forcing the defense to either play a safer long ball out of defence or a more ambitious (dangerous) pass.