Sign in to follow this  
Superflash

Middlesborough- Title favourites?

...I''m not convinced.Many pundits and even Pink''un posters have stated that they think Boro will be sure fire title contenders this season. After their disappointing finish below the play off spots last season, Strachan has continued his rebuilding process and to be fair has brought in an impressive striker in Kris Boyd, who should bang them in for fun in this division if his Rangers form is anything to go by. But I''m not convinced that the Scottish approach for the whole team is going to pay dividends for Strachan. The Championship is much, much more physical overall than the Scottish league, with only Rangers and Celtic ever really doing anything of note. I think some of his scottish contingent may struggle against some of the better teams. Also, because the league is so wide open this year, with pretty much anyone being in with a shout of a play-off push at some stage (yes, even the likes of Portsmouth and Scunthorpe, because if Blackpool could do it then anyone can) I''m not even convinced they''d be able to hold on to a place in the top two for too long. Whilst Boyd will no doubt score the goals to fire them into the top half of the table, their defence is really sketchy, with the exception of David Wheater. Finally. I''m not convinced Strachan is the man to take them back to the Premier League. The guy gives some ace quotes in interviews and seems like a good chap, but I''m not convinced he has enough left in the tank to take a club like ''Boro back into the Premiership. He had a good run at Celtic, but again it must be stressed that only Rangers and Celtic ever compete for the league title, so it''s not like he had much competition. And lest we forget that before then, he struggled in his last days at Coventry and last days at Southampton. He''s not a bad manager, I just don''t think he''s good enough to take ''Boro back to the big time. ...Or is it just me?

I agree with you that Middlesborough don''t look great, but no one is this league looks streets ahead of the rest. I think Boro are getting a lot of tips for the top because of Boyd, the only real signing so far in the Championship that makes you take notice, also Nicky Baliey will do a good job for them and every year Boro seem to have one excellent youth player come through.

The Championship is too tight to call this year, but with a striker like Boyd there is always a good chance of doing well.

I wouldn''t be surprised if they took the League, but then I wouldn''t be surprised if they didn''t.

I think the league is wide open and is there for any one really. However, if I had to pick a team to win it, then it probably would be Boro.

I see what you are saying and it will be interesting to see how the season plays out.

Boro have an outstanding side for this divison. Great manger, very good team at this level.

Hoyte

Wheater

Grounds

McManus

O''Neil

Bailey

Robson

Thompson

McDonald

Boyd

They also have some very decent back up players.

Forest, QPR, Reading, Leicester, Bristol and Boro. That''s top 6 teams, without the likes of Sheffield Utd, Cardiff, Burnley, Doncaster and Hull.Actually I think a top half finish for us would be cracking this season, and can now see why I don''t think we will make the play offs. [:(]

[quote user="Brendo "]I am not convinved either.

I''d sooner put money on :

Forest
QPR
Reading
Bristol
Leicester
[/quote]

Bristol and reading for me [y]

Middlesbrough are a good team going forward, but susceptible at the back. Also, I think I read somewhere that their keeper is being looked at by a Premiership team, so could have to rely on a back-up keeper, although I''m unsure who they actually have in that department.

Take away their signing of Boyd and there wouldn''t be nearly as much attention being payed to them as there is now.  Their squad without Boyd is a strong Championship squad and with Boyd it is a very good squad to compete for the Championship title.  Boyd is likely to get 25+ goals and McDonald will probably get a few as will Bailey from midfield.  I would have them as favourites myself but they are not miles ahead of everyone.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="nevermind"]great manager?[/quote] Is that a question?[/quote]

Is that a question?  I would agree, Strachan a great manager?  I just don''t see it myself.

I''m going for Nott''m Forest for the title, but as everyone says it is a league that is impossible to call this year.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I agree with you that Middlesborough don''t look great, but no one is this league looks streets ahead of the rest. I think Boro are getting a lot of tips for the top because of Boyd, the only real signing so far in the Championship that makes you take notice, also Nicky Baliey will do a good job for them and every year Boro seem to have one excellent youth player come through.

The Championship is too tight to call this year, but with a striker like Boyd there is always a good chance of doing well.

I wouldn''t be surprised if they took the League, but then I wouldn''t be surprised if they didn''t.

[/quote]

You''ve got that nicely covered then Bethnal! :-)

If Championship defenders deal with Boyd more effectively than those in the SPL, it will surely stunt Middlesbrough''s aspirations this season. His wages alone must be a calculated gamble to buy a ticket to the Prem. Mind you, they seem to have a forgiving chairman so maybe Strachan thinks he''s got more time than others.

Is it me or does Middlesbrough FC just seem a bit sterile? Not a lot to enthuse about there full stop. Most camera angles seem to show more empty red seats than fans - and who would swap our current manager for theirs?

Some people on here are saying Forest are thier favourites, but going to uni in Nottingham and having a lot of mates who support them.. I can tell you they are not so optimistic. They have not strengthened their squad after they were hoping to sign Whittingham, Shorey, Pratley and although they have now got Bertrand on loan, they still feel as though this is not enough. Add to that, the fact that Billy Davies was angered at the sale of Perch behind his back and that Wilson supposedly wants to go to Celtic, Forest at the moment is not a happy camp. Of course they may still sign some big names, and if they maintain their good home form from last year..I think they will be a big threat; but they need to address their away form and become a more stable club off the pitch. Personally, I''m pleased we are playing them away at the begginning of the season, hopefully we can grab a point before they get into their stride at the City ground.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

If Championship defenders deal with Boyd more effectively than those in the SPL, it will surely stunt Middlesbrough''s aspirations this season. His wages alone must be a calculated gamble to buy a ticket to the Prem. Mind you, they seem to have a forgiving chairman so maybe Strachan thinks he''s got more time than others.

Is it me or does Middlesbrough FC just seem a bit sterile? Not a lot to enthuse about there full stop. Most camera angles seem to show more empty red seats than fans - and who would swap our current manager for theirs?

[/quote]Totally agree with you about Middlesborough being a pretty boring club, even we have won more trophies than them. They got lucky in having a very wealthy fan in Mr Gibson who was prepared to put his hand in his bocket to bankroll them to the prem.I don''t think they particularly stand out above anyone else this year,  Boyd may or may not get goals in the Championship and even though I think they''ll be top eight I don''t see how they have much more about them than several other clubs in the division.

Like other posters I can''t really see Middlesborough doing much this season. The league is very open.

As for ''Great Manager'' then I would look no further than Bristol City and Steve Coppell. They are the type of team he does well at and I would be very surprised if they were not one of the top teams this season.

Extremely pleased to see his stand on loan players as well and, like us, not one in sight in his squad. Lets hope we both keep it that way.