Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Surman Wants 15 Goals!

Nice to see some ambition from a midfielder. Whilst Lappin was generally okay last season he never provided a goal threat despite being  in a position where he was able to attack, unlike for example Darel Russel who was holding.

Judging from the friendlies Surman is a naturally gifted footballer with a very good left foot. I would personally be delighted if he got 10 goals as he''s replacing Lappin who (i think) scored none last season in the league below!

I did find it funny though, in regards to his Everton goal which i thought was very skilful, when interviewed he claims ''I just shut my eyes and swung at it''. Haha!

Come on City, nice 2-1 Win today, Surman & Jackson!

[:D]

I thought that Lappin faded horribly last season despite an effective start under Lambert.

I will be interested to see if he can come back into the side and play as well as he did when he''s called upon.

I''m sure Surman was being overly humble regarding his goal! He knew what he was doing!

Lappin was sh*t last season and am really glad lambert singned a replacement, I think he will score 5-6 goals this season as that goal v toon was pretty good

[quote user="nevermind"]Lappin was sh*t last season and am really glad lambert singned a replacement, I think he will score 5-6 goals this season as that goal v toon was pretty good[/quote]You mean Everton? Plus Lappin was not shit last season at all, however i agree with the above post that his form dipped a little towards the end of the season... Overall Lappin was one of our better players in League One. I strongly believe that Surman was bought in to take his position as he shows more quality both on and off the ball. I think Lappin will struggle to make the starting eleven this seaso, him being put to left back against Everton i feel was testament to his standings in the midfield this season.Although a decent squad player in the championship.King of Spain = Legend.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="nevermind"]Lappin was sh*t last season and am really glad lambert singned a replacement, I think he will score 5-6 goals this season as that goal v toon was pretty good[/quote]

You mean Everton? Plus Lappin was not shit last season at all, however i agree with the above post that his form dipped a little towards the end of the season... Overall Lappin was one of our better players in League One. I strongly believe that Surman was bought in to take his position as he shows more quality both on and off the ball. I think Lappin will struggle to make the starting eleven this seaso, him being put to left back against Everton i feel was testament to his standings in the midfield this season.

Although a decent squad player in the championship.

King of Spain = Legend.
[/quote]

Lappin is not a legend that word is overused so much these days!

IF Lappin was one of our better players last season, who was he better than?

Lappin made 40 starts last season i think apart from F.F that is up their with the highest..... although he may not grab the headlines like Holt or Hoops i think Lappin is a silent hero of the team. Goes about his job with no fuss. Start of the season and up to Jan-Feb time was consistantly one of our better player however his form did dip towards the close of the season, still maintaining his place in the team.He was a major part of us winning the title last year, he became a cult hero with the fans last year and i think the way he conducted himself with the Rat Roeder he deserves a real pat on the back, a lot of players would of been off in the position he was, playing with the youth team etc but no he stayed at the club and worked hard for his spot.well done Lapps legend!!

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Lappin made 40 starts last season i think apart from F.F that is up their with the highest..... although he may not grab the headlines like Holt or Hoops i think Lappin is a silent hero of the team. Goes about his job with no fuss. Start of the season and up to Jan-Feb time was consistantly one of our better player however his form did dip towards the close of the season, still maintaining his place in the team.

He was a major part of us winning the title last year, he became a cult hero with the fans last year and i think the way he conducted himself with the Rat Roeder he deserves a real pat on the back, a lot of players would of been off in the position he was, playing with the youth team etc but no he stayed at the club and worked hard for his spot.

well done Lapps legend!!
[/quote]

This constantly dragged up point kind of annoys me. When Cureton did the same last year, refusing to transfer or go on loan because he wanted to fight for his place he was tagged as the worst kind of human being who was just trying to suck the club dry. I think the main reason Lappin didn''t leave under Roeder is that he didn''t want to take a cut in his wages. But because Roeder was unpopular many sided with Lappin and against Roeder.

Lappin is a decent but limited footballer and not Championship quality, especially in such a vital position for us, due to our formation the midfielders have to work harder than in a normal 4-4-2.

For me the away game at Huddersfield summed up Lappin:

The 1st half he was woeful and I thought he should have been subbed; the 2nd half he was fantastic and I was singing his praises. 

He''s a bit inconsistent, but it does seem that he responds to Lambert very well.  Which is probably why Lambert likes him. 

With him and Surman, it''ll give that left-sided role the competitiveness it needs to ensure that we maintain a good level of performance there throughout the season. 

If Surman gets 15 goals, it means we''ve had a brilliant season, and will be right in the mix come May.

You''d make the assumption that Holt. Hoolahan, Martin would at least match Surman (if he got 15) and that Crofts/Jackson/Johnson/etc would chip in too.

I think overall, Lappin was great last year, but then again, nearly the whole squad was great last year, lets be fair. He seemed to play his best stuff with Norwich in league one, regardless of how he has been treated by previous managers, and Lambert has signed a player head and shoulders above Lappin''s capabilities in the left mid position.

Overall, decent for us last year but a much better player has come in to replace him.

Oh and as for Lappin, he started more games than ANY other player (Forster included) in the league for us last year.

Unlikely to be first-choice this season, but still a good player to have.

Realised I didn''t contribute to the thread itself... oops!

15 seems a little over optimistic, I think if we have a particularly great season he could push towards the 10 mark, but 6 maybe 7, is more realistic. I can see Crofts chipping in with a few goals too, maybe 6 or 7 for him also. Would be good to see some midfielders scoring for us again, seems like a while since we had a CM winning us some matches.

I think Lappin is a pretty good player to be fair to him and he worked very very hard for us last season. Shame he doesn''t have any pace because he''s a very sensible player on the ball.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Lappin made 40 starts last season i think apart from F.F that is up their with the highest..... although he may not grab the headlines like Holt or Hoops i think Lappin is a silent hero of the team. Goes about his job with no fuss. Start of the season and up to Jan-Feb time was consistantly one of our better player however his form did dip towards the close of the season, still maintaining his place in the team.

He was a major part of us winning the title last year, he became a cult hero with the fans last year and i think the way he conducted himself with the Rat Roeder he deserves a real pat on the back, a lot of players would of been off in the position he was, playing with the youth team etc but no he stayed at the club and worked hard for his spot.

well done Lapps legend!!
[/quote]

This constantly dragged up point kind of annoys me. When Cureton did the same last year, refusing to transfer or go on loan because he wanted to fight for his place he was tagged as the worst kind of human being who was just trying to suck the club dry. I think the main reason Lappin didn''t leave under Roeder is that he didn''t want to take a cut in his wages. But because Roeder was unpopular many sided with Lappin and against Roeder.

Lappin is a decent but limited footballer and not Championship quality, especially in such a vital position for us, due to our formation the midfielders have to work harder than in a normal 4-4-2.

[/quote]

Agree to an extent BUT surely the two differences are that a) Cureton was one of, if not the highest earner at the club and b) he was in the final year of his contract. From a professional point of view, it really seemed like suicide for Jamie not to have wanted to put himself in the ''shop window'' earlier. Has he got a club yet?

[quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

well done Lapps legend!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Agree to an extent BUT surely the two differences are that a) Cureton was one of, if not the highest earner at the club and b) he was in the final year of his contract. From a professional point of view, it really seemed like suicide for Jamie not to have wanted to put himself in the ''shop window'' earlier. Has he got a club yet?

[/quote]

Okay, maybe Cureton was a mildly different situation. But if Lambert sent Lappin to train with the kids and he refused to move to Motherwell would we all be saying how much dignity he has that he is a legend? Or would everyone call him a greedy, selfish, money grabbing so and so?

Onto Surman, doubt he''ll get 15 goals, can''t see anyone in our team getting that many this year but good to see the lad is confident and ambitious. Think he could be the star for us this year.

[quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Lappin made 40 starts last season i think apart from F.F that is up their with the highest..... although he may not grab the headlines like Holt or Hoops i think Lappin is a silent hero of the team. Goes about his job with no fuss. Start of the season and up to Jan-Feb time was consistantly one of our better player however his form did dip towards the close of the season, still maintaining his place in the team.He was a major part of us winning the title last year, he became a cult hero with the fans last year and i think the way he conducted himself with the Rat Roeder he deserves a real pat on the back, a lot of players would of been off in the position he was, playing with the youth team etc but no he stayed at the club and worked hard for his spot.well done Lapps legend!![/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The last I heard was that he was having a trial at Exeter but they rejected him. Poor Jamie lad!

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Lappin made 40 starts last season i think apart from F.F that is up their with the highest..... although he may not grab the headlines like Holt or Hoops i think Lappin is a silent hero of the team. Goes about his job with no fuss. Start of the season and up to Jan-Feb time was consistantly one of our better player however his form did dip towards the close of the season, still maintaining his place in the team.He was a major part of us winning the title last year, he became a cult hero with the fans last year and i think the way he conducted himself with the Rat Roeder he deserves a real pat on the back, a lot of players would of been off in the position he was, playing with the youth team etc but no he stayed at the club and worked hard for his spot.well done Lapps legend!![/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The last I heard was that he was having a trial at Exeter but they rejected him. Poor Jamie lad![/quote]He actually signed for Exeter on a non-contract basis. Eligible to play games but not getting paid right now.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The last I heard was that he was having a trial at Exeter but they rejected him. Poor Jamie lad![/quote]He actually signed for Exeter on a non-contract basis. Eligible to play games but not getting paid right now.[/quote]Oh right, sorry! I didn''t realise that, good luck to the lad!