Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

Holt - Fly him back

If Holty has to go to court tomorrow why doesnt the club fly him back?

I know the charter companies very well at the airport and it isnt as expensive as you think. prob approx £1500 for a flight from carlise. (private jet is approx £1000 per hour and its a 30 min flight max).

OTBC CTID

So how much would it cost coming from Shropshire? I hope we arent flying somebody from Carlisle tomorrow as it won''t be Holt!

Not that simple is it.

Market Drayton to Birmingham airport is an hour in the car. Then you would have to wait for your flight slot and so on.

A good driver with no traffic hold ups ought to be able to drive it in around 3 hours.

The A11 is indeed a nightmare, especially on Friday evenings.I might get shot down for this but ..... would Holty missing out for one game (albeit for a very silly reason) be the end of the world?

[quote user="CT"]The A11 is indeed a nightmare, especially on Friday evenings.

I might get shot down for this but ..... would Holty missing out for one game (albeit for a very silly reason) be the end of the world?

[/quote]

No it wouldnt.  And would his head be right anyway?

Think its better that he''s ready for the following weekend (assuming Lambert wont play him vs Gillingham)

[quote user="Unit"]If Holty has to go to court tomorrow why doesnt the club fly him back? I know the charter companies very well at the airport and it isnt as expensive as you think. prob approx £1500 for a flight from carlise. (private jet is approx £1000 per hour and its a 30 min flight max). OTBC CTID[/quote]

If I were stupid enough to get a court summons for such a trivial thing as failing to supply the name of the driver of my car, and had to miss a days work to attend court, my employer would dock me a days wages and would certainly not even consider paying for any kind of transport to get me home from the court! why should Grant Holt be treated any differently?

The club should come down on him like a tonne of bricks and fine him for failing to turn up for a match should he miss it.

As someone with a little ''previous'' in these matters the lead usher can can usually be persuaded to put a case on earlier where necessary - and I don''t think it will be held over until the afternoon - which suggests he should be out of there by 1pm. Allow 4 to 5 hours and he is in Norwich by 6pm.Those of you who remember ''Alf Tupper'' will know they he frequently arrived late at the race track, often on the back of a truck and would go on to beat some arrogant foreigner and be none the worse for it.

Otherwise rough cost of cheap helicopter is around £450 + vat per hour - does around 133 miles per hour. Landing charges might also be incurred.Court is 200 miles from Norwich(cost would be about 7p per home fan)

[quote user="City1st"]As someone with a little ''previous'' in these matters the lead usher can can usually be persuaded to put a case on earlier where necessary - and I don''t think it will be held over until the afternoon - which suggests he should be out of there by 1pm. Allow 4 to 5 hours and he is in Norwich by 6pm.Those of you who remember ''Alf Tupper'' will know they he frequently arrived late at the race track, often on the back of a truck and would go on to beat some arrogant foreigner and be none the worse for it.

Otherwise rough cost of cheap helicopter is around £450 + vat per hour - does around 133 miles per hour. Landing charges might also be incurred.Court is 200 miles from Norwich(cost would be about 7p per home fan)You can pay mine as it was your idea.

[/quote]

[quote user="CT"]The A11 is indeed a nightmare, especially on Friday evenings.

I might get shot down for this but ..... would Holty missing out for one game (albeit for a very silly reason) be the end of the world?

[/quote]

Not at all.  Jackson could probably score about as much goals as Holt in the division (if he played as regularly as Holt probably will) so if Holt misses one game and Jackson plays it dosn''t matter.  I''m sure Jackson''s pace would be able to cause them more than enough problems.  Also after a court case in the morning and a 3/4 hour drive I don''t think Holt would be up to it. 

[quote user="GRFC"]

[quote user="Unit"]If Holty has to go to court tomorrow why doesnt the club fly him back? I know the charter companies very well at the airport and it isnt as expensive as you think. prob approx £1500 for a flight from carlise. (private jet is approx £1000 per hour and its a 30 min flight max). OTBC CTID[/quote]

If I were stupid enough to get a court summons for such a trivial thing as failing to supply the name of the driver of my car, and had to miss a days work to attend court, my employer would dock me a days wages and would certainly not even consider paying for any kind of transport to get me home from the court! why should Grant Holt be treated any differently?

The club should come down on him like a tonne of bricks and fine him for failing to turn up for a match should he miss it.

[/quote]

Calm down, no one knows the reasoning and situations around this.

Blimey, up pops the old forum adage of make something up and reply to thatwhere did I suggest fans pay ?

not this one !when coppers go madhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7928289/Video-police-officers-filmed-smashing-up-pensioners-car.htmlwell worth a look - DON''T MISSaction starts on 1 minute

[quote user="Largey"][quote user="GRFC"]

[/quote] Calm down, no one knows the reasoning and situations around this.[/quote]

I really am quite calm, I am just failing to understand why the club, as Holts employer, shoud be expected to pay for a flight to get him to work for something that appears to be entirely his own fault.

With all the savings the club are currently making, they should, imho, be penalising Holt should he fail to turn up for work, much the same as most people that work would be. 

All he has to do is put his foot down coming back,and stay in the overtaking lane.Where there are traffic jams,use the hard shoulder...He could probably do the journey in 2 hours this way( ave speed 90/100 mph)..

[quote user="GRFC"][quote user="Largey"][quote user="GRFC"]

[/quote] Calm down, no one knows the reasoning and situations around this.[/quote]

I really am quite calm, I am just failing to understand why the club, as Holts employer, shoud be expected to pay for a flight to get him to work for something that appears to be entirely his own fault.

With all the savings the club are currently making, they should, imho, be penalising Holt should he fail to turn up for work, much the same as most people that work would be. 

[/quote]

Because he''s the captain of the club, the top striker at the club, and we need him to help us to win a football match.

The players are the most valuable assests at a football club and therefore would get treated as such.  This incident happened last May before we''d even signed him.

If Wayne Rooney was in such a situation you could guarantee Man Utd would look to do exactly this same......Holt is just as important to us.

[quote user="GRFC"][quote user="Largey"][quote user="GRFC"]

[/quote]

I could not agree with you more. It really is up to the leaders of our society to show  responsibility and like it or not star football players are today''s society leaders.Not much good preaching right from wrong and then rewarding wrong doers with charter planes and helicopeter flights.

[quote user="Bobert"][quote user="GRFC"][quote user="Largey"][quote user="GRFC"]

[/quote]

I could not agree with you more. It really is up to the leaders of our society to show  responsibility and like it or not star football players are today''s society leaders.Not much good preaching right from wrong and then rewarding wrong doers with charter planes and helicopeter flights.

[/quote]

Let the club organise his transport.....and insist Holt pick up the tab....

Dont panic! We have got plenty of others who can play up front - Martin, Johnson, Jackson to name just three. Anyway if we were so reliant on one player that everybody goes into meltdown just because there''s a chance he wont be able to play, then I really would fear for our future in this league. However I believe our squad players are strong enough to cope, because Lambert has worked hard to develop a squad with a bit of depth to it.Forget Holt for tomorrow - let him go to court and find his own way back.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="GRFC"][quote user="Largey"][quote user="GRFC"]

[/quote]

Because he''s the captain of the club, the top striker at the club, and we need him to help us to win a football match.

The players are the most valuable assests at a football club and therefore would get treated as such.  This incident happened last May before we''d even signed him.

If Wayne Rooney was in such a situation you could guarantee Man Utd would look to do exactly this same......Holt is just as important to us.

[/quote]

I''m with you GRFC, Holt has ballsed up on something really small, i didn''t realise until i read the bbc article that it was from May 09, what a stupid mistake.  If hes flying back, HE should be the one who picks up the bill, not the club as i mentioned last night, why do footballers really think they are above the law?  The amount that get done for drink driving, careless driving, speeding, even parking fines etc is unreal.  As mentioned, it wouldn''t be the end of the world if an 80% fit Holt didn''t play for us and it gives him another week to get fit.

It  is a team game, we have others that can step into the breach.  Let''s be honest, there was a general consenus he would be out for a few games at the start of the season, so to miss just the one isn''t so bad.  Keep the faith, on the ball city and may I add a little scrummage into the bargain.

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

All he has to do is put his foot down coming back,and stay in the overtaking lane.Where there are traffic jams,use the hard shoulder...He could probably do the journey in 2 hours this way( ave speed 90/100 mph)..

[/quote]

evidently you have never driven the m6 , speed cameras , road works , unmarked police cars , even using the toll road which involves going backward to go forwards you still have to contend with unmarked cars and that is before you get to the a14 with its average speed cameras from huntindon to cambridge  and then roadworks by newmarket , a11 a speed trap nightmare and chaos to thetford , be lucky to do it in 4 hours , and yes i do drive it before you ask and it is still the quickest route , be lucky to average 50mph and its even worse than usual at the moment as its holiday season with loads of caravans heading to and from wales and the norfolk coast ambling about with their thumbs up their a***s

and to add to that the nearest airfield to shrewsbury is the one at welshpool and that is an over hour away on a good day

Would it be out of the question to name him as one of the substitutes thus giving him more time to get back and settled for the game?

[quote user="City1st"]As someone with a little ''previous'' in these matters the lead usher can can usually be persuaded to put a case on earlier where necessary - and I don''t think it will be held over until the afternoon - which suggests he should be out of there by 1pm. Allow 4 to 5 hours and he is in Norwich by 6pm.Those of you who remember ''Alf Tupper'' will know they he frequently arrived late at the race track, often on the back of a truck and would go on to beat some arrogant foreigner and be none the worse for it.

Otherwise rough cost of cheap helicopter is around £450 + vat per hour - does around 133 miles per hour. Landing charges might also be incurred.Court is 200 miles from Norwich(cost would be about 7p per home fan)Land on the pitch, there`s bound to be a f@cking big NPower logo in the centre circle. The McNasty can come on a present Holty with the bill

[/quote]

[quote user="canarywales"][quote user="Barclaybred"]

[/quote]

evidently you have never driven the m6 , speed cameras , road works , unmarked police cars , even using the toll road which involves going backward to go forwards you still have to contend with unmarked cars and that is before you get to the a14 with its average speed cameras from huntindon to cambridge  and then roadworks by newmarket , a11 a speed trap nightmare and chaos to thetford , be lucky to do it in 4 hours , and yes i do drive it before you ask and it is still the quickest route , be lucky to average 50mph and its even worse than usual at the moment as its holiday season with loads of caravans heading to and from wales and the norfolk coast ambling about with their thumbs up their a***s

and to add to that the nearest airfield to shrewsbury is the one at welshpool and that is an over hour away on a good day

[/quote]I always wondered why caravan towers dorvbe so slowly...