Sign in to follow this  
Songwriter

4-5-1

The four teams that were tipped for Relegation were

NORWICH

WEST BROM

EVERTON

CRYSTAL PALACE

Now two of those teams are playing beyond all expectations. Palace and Everton and you have to ask why?

I think it is the formation they play. 4 5 1.

We have alot of good midfielders and not many strikers, why dont we pack the midfield with hucks/mckenize upfront?

I have said something similar in at least 2 other posts and I am beginning to favour the 4-5-1 formation (tried and tested in Champ. Manager! ). However, I think I said that our midfield options are far too attacking. For example, if we put Huckerby and/or Bentley and/or McVeigh on the wings, they wouldn''t track back as often as they would need to.

The middle is pretty sorted though with Safri, Mulryne, Francis and Holt as "good" players who can shoot (well...maybe not) and can hold their own tackling in defence. It should certainly be tried in the near future.

Certainly looks like the 4 5 1 is the only way to bring confidence back into the defence - Palace have 3 key players in their midfield  Kolkka, Hughes and Riihilahti. 
Southampton took a gamble and played a couple of youth players a few weeks back - now one of the them Dexter Woodstock is their top scorer with 5 goals - I would consider trying Ryan Jarvis up front.

When you look at nearly all the teams in the prem they have 2-3 old hands (experienced campaigners) to motivate and lead the less experienced youngsters on- here I think Norwich have a problem.

Apart from Simon Charlton and "maybe" Matt Svensson- we dont have any players with recent prem experience - the Scandi''s we bought in have never played English football so are taking a very long time to adjust, Aki Riihilahti has already been at Palace for 2-3 seasons so he knows the style and pace of football. I would also consider giving the captains armband to a stronger more experienced motivator - (if we have one?).

How about this

Green

Edworthy, Charlton, Shackell, Drury

Mcveigh, Mulryne, Bentley Francis, Hucks

Jonson

Subs: Ward, Fleming, Jarvis, Mckenzie,Svensson,

I think we need the height in the defence and Shackell gives us that and I do believe having what I call "raw Youth" may be important cos it can give the team and edge a bit and put the more senior players on their toes. Packing the midfield is important and having Huckerby on the left then he may down the wing is important and mcveigh down the right could do something.

Hucks and Mcveigh could actually play along the wing in front of the midfield to help support the striker. Bentley could be used as a midfielder or even revert to 4-4-1-1 with Bentley just behind Jonson. Jonson I believe would be better up front as witnessed his goal rate at Brondby with a goal a game and his performances for Sweden.

He looks more of the attacker and to me doesn''t look suitable for the cutting edge needed that is expected by strikers for things like delivering the ball into the box for them and looks to be more of receiver than provider.  

i think with that formation and those players, we would have more chance of winning. there is the height of shacks at the back, so he can mark oppo''s target men. the five in midfield would be hard to brake through, meaning less goals conceded. there is also good attacking options from mulryne, bentley, mcveigh meaning goals, and finally we would have a decent striker up front who would be able to get us goals.

Good team mate, i like it. 

[quote]How about this Green Edworthy, Charlton, Shackell, Drury Mcveigh, Mulryne, Bentley Francis, Hucks Jonson Subs: Ward, Fleming, Jarvis, Mckenzie,Svensso...[/quote]

Me''s 4-5-1 formationGreenEdworthy, Charlton, Shackell, DruryBentley, Holt, Safri, Francis, HuckerbyMcKenzieSafri the ball passer and Leon can play on his own!

I think 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 with hucks behind the lone striker. The present system is not working.

I favour the 4-2-3-1 approachGreenHelveg Shackell/Doc Charlie Drury Francis Mullerz/Safri/Holt Jonson Bentley Huckerby SvensonMcVeigh, Mackenzie, Jarvis, Eddie, Ward on the bench