Sign in to follow this  
king of latvia

keep roy waller

[quote]just leave a message here to keep him.[/quote]

Only too happy to oblige Sire. Roy for manager of NCFC. Seriously, the guys a local hero of mine, traveling vast distances in all weathers, for the City cause. More power to him, I say.

Leave Royston alone! He and Neil are committed and as Wiz says, travel miles and miles for each game. They are way better than the chaps down the A140, on 5Live and on Sky Sports put together.

I don''t want a Motson wannabee on the Radio Norfolk commentary. Neil Adams is there to provide the expert view, but I want a local man with a love of the Canaries telling me what he can see and giving me a feel for the occasion. For all his faults (and I know he has some) Waller does this. Long may it continue!

Roy does a fantastic job we can''t do without him, if anyone should be taking a break it should be Huckerby. He''s not the player we worshiped last season and taking in his performances of late Roy would be a better bet.

Sit Huck''s on the bench for a week or two and see how he takes disappointment , and then see how he performs after that.

Come on you Yellow''s

With Waller it''s ''what you see is what you get'' - you don''t really expect him to be different to how he is: homely and cosy in the BBC local radio style.  Controversy isn''t in his vocabulary, and that''s fine for a match commentator, and often fits the bill.  His is a comforting voice, an institution in his lifetime, our favourite annoying uncle.

It would be nice however if, in addition, there were some alternative on the airwaves, say if a local station like Broadland were to cover some of the matches and take a different approach, or if there were a second personality at Radio Norfolk who would assume the "critical friend" role.  This John Humphries-like Norfolk terrier of a journo would be expected share to a large extent the interviewing responsibilities with ''good cop'' Sir Roy.  

In my view the Pink ''Un does a good version of this approach, with a more supportive view from the various news interviewers and report writers, and a slightly more offbeat version from the comment writers, especially the independent views of the Man in the Stands. 

Let''s hear a few candidate nominations from the message boards!  I would suggest YC (but the accent might grate ), or how about Beelsie (as the elder statesman figure who''s seen it all before and knows what''s what )!

[quote]Roy does a fantastic job we can''t do without him, if anyone should be taking a break it should be Huckerby. He''s not the player we worshiped last season and taking in his performances of late Roy woul...[/quote]

Mr Parker,

Not sure what ''sitting Hucks on the bench'' has got to do with this ''keep Roy Waller thread'' but as you mention it please let me reply.

Hucks is the best chance we''ve got of making something happen at the moment with his electrifying runs and dribbling ability. Ok hes had a couple of average games but could it be that he needs to start up front again in his more comfortable position maybe?

As for suggesting he may have an attitude problem with not being picked I know you''re wrong and I''m surprised that you have even suggested it.

Havent you got something more constructive to post?

Keep Royston Waller as the Norwich commentator!  It is great to hear a Norfolk voice every game when being stuck far away in another part of the World. He is Norwich and Norfolk through and through so leave him alone.

Another vote to keep Mr Waller doing his inimitable thing on a saturday/sunday/wednesday/monday.

Cant agree that he is better than 5 live/sky sports, etc all put together, as he clearly is not, but despite his irritations, I like him.

No thanks. Hopeless. Get Rid. The Raymond De Waard of commentators when our club and fans deserve quality. Come to think of it Helsinki might be a very suitable job for him. Long way away, which is very good. Is there a local radio station wanting commentary on ........well.....almost anything but football ??

[quote]Only too happy to oblige Sire. Roy for manager of NCFC. Seriously, the guys a local hero of mine, traveling vast distances in all weathers, for the City cause. More power to him, I say.[/quote]

A great  commentator whose voice is on apar with the great John Arlott of cricket fame. what a joy it is to listen to the voice of norfolk in far corners of the earth via canary world.

[quote]No thanks. Hopeless. Get Rid. The Raymond De Waard of commentators when our club and fans deserve quality. Come to think of it Helsinki might be a very suitable job for him. Long way away, which is ve...[/quote]

Agreed Mr Carrow

May as well stick my comments on here. I cannot make many games (due to family commitments) so have to rely on the commentary from Radio Norfolk (as I live in Norwich) on Saturdays to get updates etc, but I do go to every game be it home or away which aren''t played on Saturdays. I must admit that this Saturday I had to turn the radio off (for the first time ever) midway through the first half as I was so frustrated. I couldn''t tell from the commentary what was going on, and decided to rely on text updates. Turned it back on just as the second half had kicked off to see if any changes had been made, then had to wait five minutes before he got back to the commentary as I had to listen to him waffle on about not getting a cup of tea at half time etc etc. Then another five minutes to hear the players names and guess who had been replaced for who!. I have signed the petition mentioned on another thread because of the fact that Chris Goreham who does the odd midweek game is by far the more informative and better commentator.

Legend or no legend, the guy is a crap commentator.

When our players are crap, most of you lot get on here demanding them out of the team, and a better replacement brought in.

Why does that same rule not apply for an awful commentator?

Mr Parker,If I could post expletives on this board I would. That is the most stupid post I have ever read. Yes, if you want to drop our best player by miles and give us absolutely no hope whatsoever of staying up, then lets drop Hucks and while we''re at it, Green made a howler against Man City lets drop him too, lets sack Worthy as results haven''t been going our way, in fact lets go the whole nine yards and get rid of Delia and the board as well because they haven''t stumped up 50 million to spend this season. I can''t believe some fans, I really can''t.P.s: Roy Waller is part of NCFC folklore, it would be a crime against the club to get rid of such a Legend. But yeah, he is a rubbish commentator.