Sign in to follow this  
StevoM

My review

Positives:There were a few...Skill:  No doubting in this City side we have a wealth of talent that has fantastic ability on the ball that can provide us with a range of skill and passing.  Hoolahan we all know about and I thought today he was on fire, running into great positions but he often found the opposition man rather one wearing the City yellow.  Cannot place all the blame on him though, there was little movement by the front two, Martin stuggled to find space and Jackson never could lose his shadow (M Taylor).  No doubting Hoolahan will be key to where we finish this season, he is definately one of the best playmakers in this league.Surman just looked class, he linked well with Hoolahan and brought the ball out of the midfield well however again there were few options available to him but for his first competitive game for the club he looked decent and is another guy that can only improve.Goals:  When the team linked well we looked a threat, once these players gel as a unit I think they''ll be able to bring each other into the game with ease and there will be plenty of opportunities for the front men or the midfield to grab their fair share of goals.Negatives:Defence:  The big problem we have.  Ward is slow.  Nelson is slow.  Drury often gets caught too far forward.  R. Martin reads the game very poorly.  Ward I beleive will come good but there was noone next to him to help him out as Drury is predominantly an attacking full back.  Until he gets to know Nelson as a player he''ll need someone covering him.  Tonight however he seemed to panick a lot and slice many clearances.  Seemed decent in the air although his ball work needs improvement.Nelson, we know the guys slow but today was often caught out by R. Martin being slow to get back into position, all three of the goals came from the right back/ right centre back position and if we want to compete at this level, as much as I like the guy, Nelson is not good enough despite his work ethic.Drury, needed at the back and was caught too far forward on occasion.  I think he was often in the space that Surman wished to play in which caused congestion but at the end of the day it was an average display from Adam.R. Martin.  For me he is the weak link.  People will say I''m jumping on the bandwagon to make him a scapegoat but today he reminded me of Otsemabor.  When he went forward he took an age to get back and when he was he seemed reluctant to put in a tackle.  Based on tonights performance I can see why Posh sold him to us last season.  Also, he misplaces so many passes which just adds to the presure put on the team.Goalkeeper:  I don''t think Ruddy is a bad keeper.  Infact, I still consider him a great prospect however he seems to lack in confidence and doesn''t seem to really rely on his defence.  Today was a one off game (hopefully) but a run out against Gillingham and a chance to keep a clean sheet will do the lad wonders.  No doubting that after seeing him for Motherwell and the reviews I have recieved from Crewe fans that Ruddy will come good.Urgency:  There just was none, even when we scored the first we let Watford attack us and it cost us.  After we grabbed the goal we should have pushed on but we seemed to step of the pedal.  Ratings:Ruddy: 5, could have done better for two of the goals but so could the rest of the defence, will improve.R. Martin: 5, Struggled and seemed to drift off and at times was neither attacking nor defending.Nelson: 5, Had to cover Martin at times but still needed to have played much better.  Potential weak link.Ward: 5, Similar to Nelson really but we know there is more to come.Drury: 6, Did an okay job but nothing noteworthy.Fox: 6,  Good passing but didn''t seem to do much work, could have pushed forward more.Surman: 6, Showed his class but not the best performance.  Linked well with Hoolahan and could form a deadly partnership.Crofts: 8, Put his foot in well, attacked, defended and worked his socks off.  Fantastic driven goal too and seems to be a real asset. MAN OF THE MATCH.Hoolahan: 7,  Great running and created multiple chances, at times they didn''t come off.  Looked superb today.C. Martin: 6, Started off well but faded, struggled to find space but looked dangerous, strong and fit.  Encouraging.Jackson: 6, Never really got going, nice back heel for Crofts goal but needs to show more.Subs:Holt, 6 Showed passion, desire and agression when he came on.  Should be an inspiration to the rest of the side.Macca, Not enough time to score.Sorry about the spelling, its late :(OTBC

Agree with a lot of that, though wouldn''t single R.Martin out as much, he wasn''t bad tonight, and I feel too many people are just singling him out as a new scapegoat.

Martin will be limited in this Division cause of his lack of pace but he him and Drury were far better than the c rap Nelson and Ward!

For me the weak links were the CB''s and without Holt we''ll struggle upfront!

Two strong capable CB''s and sarting with Holt and we could of won tonight!

We need to get Grant up to speed as soon as possible. He is such a presence, has such an impact on the overall team confidence that we cannot do without him.Even if his impact on other teams faded as the season progressed & the opposition got used to him, our confidence levels would have risen, allowing players like Jackson & Surnam to blossom.We need him back to start functioning properly.