Sign in to follow this  
Weve (no longer) Got Angus

The Hallowed Right Back Position

Okay, well Russel may not have had teh best game of his career, but seriously, to all the Russel haters, who are we sensibley (excuse the spelling) going to replace him with?

Mcnally was in an interview with SSN this afternoon saying there was money in the budget for 1 or 2 more players, so who would you have? And what would they bring to the team?!

Well, I was up for having Martin Cranie here when that was mentioned. It could just be a blatant ego trip on my part though as his surname sounds a bit like my own!! Ha ha.I''d still like that one to materialise.From what I saw tonight, we need another new centre back! Martin Taylor anyone??Ps. I don''t know what the evident obsession with the name ''Martin'' is all about either, but it appears to be an ongoing theme.

Ooh. ''nana, you posted just before me. I didn''t see it!But yes, I agree with the Martin Taylor idea.

I''ll admit Russell Martins not great but hes not as bad as some make out and done OK today!

The CB''s tonight were very poor particularly Ward who was all over the place. This area of the team is more of a concern than the Rightback position!

Didn''t think Martin was all that bad, Ward was awful I thought. Martin Taylor was superb tonight for me, not quite sure how he''s only at Watford. [:S]

Martin is skillful enough player but lacks pace for this league. A new right back is prority in my opinion.

The centre of defence is the real worry for me (apart from the goalkeeper).

Nelson and Ward haven''t got any pace between them and, without the Doc, I think we''ve taken a step backwards.

How nelson is still playing for norwich is beyond me! He was awful defensively in league 1 and although he chipped in with a few goals it still doesnt make it better!

Once whitbread is back the better.

If Lambert is going to play Fox/Crofts over K.Smith, I''d be more than happy to give him a shot at RB.

[quote user="SitTee"]How nelson is still playing for norwich is beyond me! He was awful defensively in league 1 and although he chipped in with a few goals it still doesnt make it better! Once whitbread is back the better.[/quote]

What c rap!

Nelsons limited I agree and going on tonights performance looks like he''ll struggle in this Division but he was outstanding in the 2nd half of last season!

Whitbread has never been a mainstay in the team whos makes a positive difference, so to say when he comes BACK the BETTER doesn''t add up!

[quote user="ricardo"]Martin is skillful enough player but lacks pace for this league. A new right back is prority in my opinion.[/quote]

Yes, Ricardo, full-backs with pace are imperative within a diamond formation in this Division.Any additions to the squad from hereon in must be players with pace.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="ricardo"]Martin is skillful enough player but lacks pace for this league. A new right back is prority in my opinion.[/quote]

Yes, Ricardo, full-backs with pace are imperative within a diamond formation in this Division.Any additions to the squad from hereon in must be players with pace.[/quote]Dare I say it, I completely agree.Perhaps we could have done with Jon Otsemobor....... But in all seriousness, we need some pace at the back.

[quote user="GJP"]

The centre of defence is the real worry for me (apart from the goalkeeper).

Nelson and Ward haven''t got any pace between them and, without the Doc, I think we''ve taken a step backwards.

[/quote]

Correct!

Martin wasn''t great tonight in my opinion, and before tonight I felt the only positions that we could add another body in were right back and the targetman role, because tonight showed that we lack a physical presence up top when Holt is out. Going forward, we should have enough goals in the team, but if the the defenders persist in lumping the ball forward far too quickly, we need someone to hit.Also, on tonight''s showing, we need a centre back too.