Sign in to follow this  
ryan1992

Spillane, Doherty, Russell

If these 3 had been playing in place of R. Martin, Ward and Fox, does anybody else feel we would have not been so poor at the back? Rusty was never afraid of a tackle but for most of tonight, I even forgot fox was playing! Ruddy looked hopeless, and i still cant understand how they didnt take advantage of his blunder in the second half, where, somehow, their player headed wide from 2 yards. However, my main concern lies with Ward. He''s slow, cant header for toffee despite being one of our tallest players, struggled to tackle the opposition and dont get me started on his clearances from his feet, has he learnt how to kick a ball? For me the Doc (or Askou) would have been much more convincing, and we may not have been beaten tonight. The defence was shambolic, even sunday league teams would be disappointed with that standard of defending!

I would be happy with fox there, he was covering up the cb''s well after their mistakes. He got in a few tackles and looked comfy on the ball [y]

Crofts could play where Fox is? Crofts is a mean tackler! However Ward was poor for me, didn''t think R.Martin was all that bad really. [:S]

[quote user="ryan1992"]If these 3 had been playing in place of R. Martin, Ward and Fox, does anybody else feel we would have not been so poor at the back? ![/quote]

Would we have been better off with them in the team?

Doherty - yes

Russell - maybe

Spillane - no

[quote user="ryan1992"]If these 3 had been playing in place of R. Martin, Ward and Fox, does anybody else feel we would have not been so poor at the back? Rusty was never afraid of a tackle but for most of tonight, I even forgot fox was playing! Ruddy looked hopeless, and i still cant understand how they didnt take advantage of his blunder in the second half, where, somehow, their player headed wide from 2 yards. However, my main concern lies with Ward. He''s slow, cant header for toffee despite being one of our tallest players, struggled to tackle the opposition and dont get me started on his clearances from his feet, has he learnt how to kick a ball? For me the Doc (or Askou) would have been much more convincing, and we may not have been beaten tonight. The defence was shambolic, even sunday league teams would be disappointed with that standard of defending![/quote]

Yes, yes and yes!

I agree with the other poster, that Crofts should be at the base of the diamond instead of Fox and Korey Smith should be on the right, like last season.

[quote user="ryan1992"]If these 3 had been playing in place of R. Martin, Ward and Fox, does anybody else feel we would have not been so poor at the back? Rusty was never afraid of a tackle but for most of tonight, I even forgot fox was playing! Ruddy looked hopeless, and i still cant understand how they didnt take advantage of his blunder in the second half, where, somehow, their player headed wide from 2 yards. However, my main concern lies with Ward. He''s slow, cant header for toffee despite being one of our tallest players, struggled to tackle the opposition and dont get me started on his clearances from his feet, has he learnt how to kick a ball? For me the Doc (or Askou) would have been much more convincing, and we may not have been beaten tonight. The defence was shambolic, even sunday league teams would be disappointed with that standard of defending![/quote]Out of the CBs I don''t think the Doc would''ve been the answer.  Yes you can argue it''s a fair chance Doc would''ve been a better performer than Ward.  But for me Askou should be given a shot, because I rate him based purely on opinion.

Fox was very poor,he did nothing to cover the back four. I was no fan of Russell but he never shirked a tackle.

[quote user="ryan1992"]If these 3 had been playing in place of R. Martin, Ward and Fox, does anybody else feel we would have not been so poor at the back? Rusty was never afraid of a tackle but for most of tonight, I even forgot fox was playing! Ruddy looked hopeless, and i still cant understand how they didnt take advantage of his blunder in the second half, where, somehow, their player headed wide from 2 yards. However, my main concern lies with Ward. He''s slow, cant header for toffee despite being one of our tallest players, struggled to tackle the opposition and dont get me started on his clearances from his feet, has he learnt how to kick a ball? For me the Doc (or Askou) would have been much more convincing, and we may not have been beaten tonight. The defence was shambolic, even sunday league teams would be disappointed with that standard of defending![/quote]sorry to be blunt...they have gone get over it!!!

[quote user="ellis206"]R. Martin played well today, centre backs were poor though. [/quote]Happily you are not the manager Ellis.I can''t see Martin holding his place for very long.

[quote user="ryan1992"]If these 3 had been playing in place of R. Martin, Ward and Fox, does anybody else feel we would have not been so poor at the back? Rusty was never afraid of a tackle but for most of tonight, I even forgot fox was playing! Ruddy looked hopeless, and i still cant understand how they didnt take advantage of his blunder in the second half, where, somehow, their player headed wide from 2 yards. However, my main concern lies with Ward. He''s slow, cant header for toffee despite being one of our tallest players, struggled to tackle the opposition and dont get me started on his clearances from his feet, has he learnt how to kick a ball? For me the Doc (or Askou) would have been much more convincing, and we may not have been beaten tonight. The defence was shambolic, even sunday league teams would be disappointed with that standard of defending![/quote]You mean R.martin, Nelson & Fox..

The much better and quicker than Nelson and Ward, Doherty would of made a difference but the again Michael Wynn Jones could of done better than those 2!

Russell - possibly would of helped!

Spillane - Russel Martin done OK, so I don''t think Spillane would of made a difference!

Fox was covering the CB''s well but at times struggled in other areas of his game!

Fox was definately poor. I would rather see Korey Smith there cause Crofts looked better going forward than Korey Smith did last season.

Nana I don''t know what game you were watching but for me Fox was awful.  The worst player on the pitch tonight.  If you are playing in front of a shaky back four at the base of a diamond midfield then you need to be extremely strong in the tackle.  A 13 year old schoolboy would''ve won his fair share of 50/50 balls with Fox tonight.  Absolutely woeful and must not be played in that position again if we hoipe to pick up points in my opinion!