Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

A bit of perspective

Okay, last nights result wasn''t what we all had hoped for or expected but it was our first game of the season. Add to this the fact, we had 6 new players playing (only 2 of which have played in the Championship), Paul Lambert has never managed above League One, Ward wasn''t match fit, We weren''t able to start our main goalscorer etc etc I could go on. To me, despite thinking we were going to win, it became pretty plain obvious that our team were inexperienced in the Championship. None of them seemed to be up to the pace of Watford''s attacking play and the midfield was run by Eustace despite the best efforts of Crofts. We thought our play was sharp and precise but Watford almost took it to another level. This being said, we will be able to adjust given a bit of time. Lambert really needs to get installed into the players that at this level more than ever, it is imperative to pass and move, pass and move. The quality of The Championship is streets ahead of League One, so with 3 new signings coming from League One it is obvious they''re going to need to adjust to the speed and ability. Other than Leicester last year, no team finds it easy going up the tier between L1 and The Championship, Blackpool narrowly missed the drop, Forest narrowly missed the drop, Peteborough went down, Scunthorpe narrowly missed the drop, Barnsley have always been bottom half. Norwich fans seemed to think that we could adjust like a duck to water, it really isn''t that easy. Just give the players time and we can have a decent season, then build on it next year. Just like Blackpool & Forest did.I fully believe that Lambert & the players can put this behind them and get to grips with the Championship. All the new signings have the ability, they all just need a little bit of help a long the way and they will be great, great players for us.Believe.

Agree with much of what you say, but it was interesting that Crofts looked our best player by some distance and he is one of the League One signings.  Ward on the other hand looked very rusty as did Ruddy and Hoolahan who I would have expected to be more influential.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Agree with much of what you say, but it was interesting that Crofts looked our best player by some distance and he is one of the League One signings.  Ward on the other hand looked very rusty as did Ruddy and Hoolahan who I would have expected to be more influential.[/quote]Yeah, I agree with that. Crofts seemed to be our only player with any bit, enthusiasm and creativity. We needed Surman & Wes to be much more effective last night. (Also Doc to [:@])

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Okay, last nights result wasn''t what we all had hoped for or expected but it was our first game of the season. Add to this the fact, we had 6 new players playing (only 2 of which have played in the Championship), Paul Lambert has never managed above League One, Ward wasn''t match fit, We weren''t able to start our main goalscorer etc etc I could go on. To me, despite thinking we were going to win, it became pretty plain obvious that our team were inexperienced in the Championship. None of them seemed to be up to the pace....[/quote]Some good points. Particularly about our inexperience and our lack of strength in depth.As fans who have watched the Championship for over a decade, we are all too familiar with what is required to compete in this league. But on last night''s evidence, currently the players and management are not. My biggest concern was that we looked far too lightweight right across the pitch. We couldn''t compete. We got bullied into defeat by a below average Championship side, and that''s a big concern.

I also agree with a lot of that. I couldn''t help but feel that it was rather ironic in our first game of the season against a team managed by Malky that Lambert appeared to repeat Worthington''s mistake in dismantling a successful side on promotion only to bring in a lot of new players who are not necessarily up to it.

Hopefully time will prove that they are up to it but last night we were outgunned in all areas with the defence looking particularly suspect - we will concede an awful lot of goals in this league unless there is a rapid improvement there.

I know a lot of people don''t like it but the fact remains that if he were still here Doc would still be the best defender at the club and we still desperately need a right back.