Sign in to follow this  
tobz06

Russell Martin???????

Thought I''d sign up after today''s game as an avid reader of these forums and so angry about a few of the boys performances tonight however, carrying on from last seasons antics is dear old Russell Martin, what has he brought to the team apart from vulnerability in the right back position!!!! he gives the ball away so much and is pulled out of position so easilywhich stitches up the other lads all the time!! cant think of the last permanent good right back we have had???

what you reckon???

I remember what the peterborough fans said when we signed him, a half decent player in league 1 but couldn''t make the step up to the Championship.I mean he captained Posh to Promotion but was sold on as he wasn''t in the team by the team that finished bottom of the Championship.i remember from when we signed him & what the posh fans had said I knew he would do a job in Lge 1 but was shocked that we let spillane go as history had shown he couldn''t cut it in the championship.

Sorry but you can''t pin it all on Russell Martin without mentioning Ward and Nelson.

I also thought Surman and Fox were pretty disappointing... but it''s early days - let''s just see whether they respond in the next game.

Thought Crofts and Drury gave 100%

No has wasn''t THAT bad Idnboy but the knives were already out for him before a ball was kicked.

If he put in exactly the same performance and we had won none of this criticism would emerge.

Scapegoat?? He has been the worst player I have seen play for city for years! Really bad! Bring back magic Darren Kenton.

I also agree about Marc Edworthy he was quality in old division 1!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="tobz06"]

Scapegoat?? He has been the worst player I have seen play for city for years![/quote]

Don''t be so bloody stupid.

[/quote]Yeah, did you never see Gary Doherty play?

Russell Martin is totally out of his depth at this level and I think Nelson''s pretty much the same. I''ll give Ward the benefit of the doubt, but to be honest this does not bode well at all.

I actually thought both the fullbacks did alright tonight.

But, just as with the friendlies, the heart of the defence (the 2 centrebacks and the ''keeper) is looking weak/shakey.

Elliott Ward did a bit better tonight but Nelson had a poor game and Ruddy doesn''t look like saving much.

[quote user="tobz06"]

Scapegoat?? He has been the worst player I have seen play for city for years! Really bad! Bring back magic Darren Kenton.

[/quote]

''The worst player I have seen play for city for years'' ... really???

Killen, Cort, Fotheringham, Carney, Otsemobor, Sibierski, Brellier, Strihavka, Hartson, Chris Brown, Murray, Andy Hughes, Thorne, Jarret, Rehman, Elvis Hammond, Heckingbottom, Walsh, De Waard, Derveld, Victor Segura ..... TREVOR BENJAMIN?????

I don''t know how far you go back son but I''m afraid that your statement above is ludicrus.

Why is Strihavka in your list? When he got more than 10 seconds on the pitch, he was ok....he never got a chance.....

I would not say it was ludicrus to fit him in with those superstars that you have mentioned and I believe there are players on your list who have performed considerably better than Russell Martin. Some have even gone on to better themselves. sure not all but generally better than that tripe we call Russell Martin!!!!

In the first half there was so much room down the right just waiting to be exploited he needs to get over the half way line just like Jury does on the left,If we are going to play the diamond the full backs must get forward , other wise its going to be hoofball if theres no other outlet , When he did finally get forward his crossing was woefull God knows why spillane had to go

I''m quite a critic of Russel Martin but i thought he performed quite well tonight! Unfortunately with the diamond when he attacked he didn''t really have an immediate outball, as he had to wait for Crofts or hoolahan to make a run in front of him.Defending he was average, but i wouldn''t say he looked ''out of his depth''. Certainly no worse than the two CB''s.Elliot Ward seemed a really good signing and of course he could still end up being that - but the Everton friendly and this match does make me think he''s not as good as i thought. I also felt some of his clearances which ended up going along the floor straight back to a Watford player caused problems for us.

[quote user="tobz06"]

[/quote]

i see r.martin as a slight upgrade from otsemobor so we need a RB coz francomb can''t play for us every game

I was trawling through the posts until I got to this one, most suggest RM did ok, on the TV he looked pretty awful positioning rubbish and distribution poor.  Yes Ward was absolute crap but no assistance from RM.  The season could be a real struggle if RM continues at right back and you can''t say he has promise.

Ward looks a liability what was PL thinking?