Sign in to follow this  
Greg Downs Hairpiece

What were the positives?

Crofts looked the part.  Jackson looked lively.  Surman showed flashes of quality.  Whitbread won''t be injured forever.  I might win the lottery tomorrow.

For me its the fact that with so many new signings, Lambert is still searching for the best XI. It wont be found straight away, but with the likes of Holt, Smith, McNamee, S Smith etc waiting in the wings there is scope to make changes.On tonights display? Not a great deal. Crofts looked good, Fox could pass a ball. Holt made an impact when he came on. But the defense was a big worry.

[quote user="NCFC-47"]We scored two goals?
[/quote]

Exactly.

We won''t blitz teams in this league, but when you score 2 at home you expect to win. Have every faith Lambert will look at the defence though.

that it gives lambert an idea what he needs to do, defence looks un-organised, we need a leader back there.2 well taken goals. we always want the midfield & defence to add to the goals.

The positive is that it only took 45 minutes to pop the ridiculous bubble of expectation which has been growing in recent months.

We are a team which has been promoted from League One ... talk of the play offs is farsical. We have the same players who weren''t good enough two years ago + lower league signings (Martin, Holt, Nelson, Fox, McNamee, Crofts & Jackson) + average Championship players (Ruddy, Ward & Surman). The only man we have who could play in a higher division is Wesley Hoolahan.

We need to be patient and celebrate every point earned.

It''s going to be a long hard season.

Survival is the ONLY goal.

Positives:

- Surman looks calm/assured/quality

- Scored 2 when playing badly

- Holt looked alright when he came on

Negatives:

- Nelson is a donkey

- Fox failed in linking defence with midfield and attack

- Hoolahan gave the ball away far too much

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Hoolahan gave the ball away far too much[/quote]

I can''t criticise someone who does something positive. Hoolahan would make my top 10 bad points for this game. Don''t really understand the Hoolahan negativity.

I like Hoolahan but he HAS to make or score at least 1 goal to counteract the amount of possession he concedes.

Err what about the other midfielders content with passing the ball sideways. Shouldn''t they have to do something to make up for their lack of creativity? Fox drove me nuts tonight.

Far worse than Hoolahan. Any numpty can pass the ball sideways or backwards, going forwards is where it counts. Should Hoolahan hide in the shadows instead and not try defence splitting passes?

Anyone remember when Hoolahan didn''t play last season?

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Positives: - Surman looks calm/assured/quality - Scored 2 when playing badly - Holt looked alright when he came on Negatives: - Nelson is a donkey - Fox failed in linking defence with midfield and attack - Hoolahan gave the ball away far too much[/quote]

What match were you watching? Surman was disappointing. Fox looked very good going forward but not strong enough as the player at the back of the diamond. And Nelson a donkey? What, and Ward was Bobby Moore? Nelson was by far the better of the two centre backs.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

[quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Positives: - Surman looks calm/assured/quality - Scored 2 when playing badly - Holt looked alright when he came on Negatives: - Nelson is a donkey - Fox failed in linking defence with midfield and attack - Hoolahan gave the ball away far too much[/quote]

What match were you watching? Surman was disappointing. Fox looked very good going forward but not strong enough as the player at the back of the diamond. And Nelson a donkey? What, and Ward was Bobby Moore? Nelson was by far the better of the two centre backs.

[/quote]Everyone sees things differently Link.I thought Ward and Nelson were equally as poor to be honest, but im sure there are lots of different views out there, mine isnt neccesarily the right one.I agree with your Surman and Fox comments however.

I thought Drury showed his class once again, Fox and Crofts look like they should fit in pretty well, Surman didn''t get the ball enough i don''t think.... Jackson didn''t impress me much, and Martin didn''t really get a decent chance, but put in a lot of effort...Hoolahan however, tonite showed he will not roll over in this league, he will carry on being creative.....its just a shame Watford where defending with at least 9 men 95% of the time....

To be honest I thought neither Fox or Crofts looked any better than what we had last season. Then again, it is the first game so obviously room for improvement. I take the points made about trying to make defence splitting passes, but when your being done on the counter attack every time, conceding possession is the last thing you want to do.

I thought that the front line did well with very little service. Both goals were excellent.

The MF looked lightweight, however, and was outplayed throughout by very ordinary players who made their commitment count. The midfield will improve, though, once they gel (which they certainly did not do tonight).The loss of Russell looks to be a very serious one and the defence was exposed as a result.

I can see this side scoring a lot of goals but conceding far more unless action is taken quickly. On tonight''s performance, it looks like a battle against relegation, though Holt, once fit, could make a big difference. 

I didnt think we looked that good up front Roach hardly had a save to make all night.

Crofts looked good!

Russell Martin while not great showed he can do a job at this level!

Midfiled will be good in attack!

Holt can become a major force in the Championship!

Few people have mentioned this but I thought Watford were impressive. Martin Taylor was a rock at the back, (can we swap him with Ward?!!) they stopped us playing in midfield and attacked very swiftly and efficiently. On that evidence Watford look capable of a top half finish at least and we''ll play much worse sides!

[quote user="Diesel Doris"]We didn''t lose 7-1[;)][/quote]We weren''t bottom after the first game last season, though, because Southampton started on minus 10.One positive is that we have some good individual players in there, but unfortunately they haven''t yet consolidated into a team. The defence in particular looked disjointed, and needs some serious work putting in to get them working as a unit. I thought Drury and Martin got isolated too often, and neither Ward nor Nelson looked commanding in the air. The midfield produced some good individual touches but too often looked slow and flat-footed, and they never really closed down effectively when Watford had the ball. Up front not too bad, although Jackson didn''t really contribute much, and Hoolahan, although he had a good game overall, several times got into a good shooting position and elected to try a "killer" pass instead of having a go at goal.Its going to take 10 or 12 games to get the team functioning smoothly, and I think this really will be the test of Lambert''s credentials as a manager.

positives:

- We played awfully and still only lost because of some bad refereeing decisions

- We looked like we were trying to play good football (apart from in defence)

- We looked like a team having a bad game rather than just being a bad team

- The only way is up

The positives: we didn''t lose 7-1. Er.... that''s about it!

The negatives: Bloody Sky televise one of our matches, and yet again we underperform - ban their cameras from Carrow Road! There is a Sky jinx.

That sodding opening day jinx of not winning the match continues. Ho hum.

What are the positives ? well Norwich will have the biggest seating capacity in Division 1 next season.. "What Goes UP -----------------" !! lol