Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

As a change of subject: Grimsby (h) 2002

Anybody remember that fateful day 8 years ago when we last one our first match of the season?It was a fine summers day, a great performance by the lads and a brace by WLY and Mulryne each.My fondest memory of that day though were the few hundred Grimsby fans who turned up (to my horror for an opening game of the season, being a relative novice to matchdays back then). One of who must have been the largest man I may have ever seen. He occupied 3 seats in the old South Stand, top off in full glory. Periodically he would make a rasping "GRIMSBY!!!" and then silence would ensue from the away section for the next 5 minutes of punishment they received.I think I''ll be willing to wager that in another 8 years time, I will more like remember that day more than last night.

[quote user="Fellas"]Anybody remember that fateful day 8 years ago when we last one our first match of the season?

It was a fine summers day, a great performance by the lads and a brace by WLY and Mulryne each.

My fondest memory of that day though were the few hundred Grimsby fans who turned up (to my horror for an opening game of the season, being a relative novice to matchdays back then). One of who must have been the largest man I may have ever seen. He occupied 3 seats in the old South Stand, top off in full glory. Periodically he would make a rasping "GRIMSBY!!!" and then silence would ensue from the away section for the next 5 minutes of punishment they received.

I think I''ll be willing to wager that in another 8 years time, I will more like remember that day more than last night.
[/quote]

Won not one [y]

I remember that game. Great expectations just after the play-off final. I remember we were all singing ''we are top of the league'' and then at full-time it came through that (I think) Rotherham had won something like 7-0!

I remember this it was a really good game.

even though it was first match after the play off final defeat I can remember being sat in the Barclay and there being plenty of spare seats yet I still prefered the atmosphere then to what we now manage to generate with bigger crowds

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Fellas"]Anybody remember that fateful day 8 years ago when we last one our first match of the season?It was a fine summers day, a great performance by the lads and a brace by WLY and Mulryne each.My fondest memory of that day though were the few hundred Grimsby fans who turned up (to my horror for an opening game of the season, being a relative novice to matchdays back then). One of who must have been the largest man I may have ever seen. He occupied 3 seats in the old South Stand, top off in full glory. Periodically he would make a rasping "GRIMSBY!!!" and then silence would ensue from the away section for the next 5 minutes of punishment they received.I think I''ll be willing to wager that in another 8 years time, I will more like remember that day more than last night.[/quote]

Won not one [y]

[/quote]Thanks Nana. Do you remember the game?...