Sign in to follow this  
Campbell

Norwich City Vs Southampton *Official*

Right, seeing as this is now the biggest game of our season so far, we might as well start early. Anything to do with the game at all, stick it in here.

My line up for the Southampton game:

Green

Helveg (Edworthy ball-watches far too much)
Drury
Shackell (We need some height, it''s becoming a real problem)
Charlton

Bentley
Francis (Can do Holt''s job and has a better physical presence)
Mulryne (Holt out, we need to start keeping the ball)

Huckerby (Huckerby needs to be pushed further up alongside the strikers, especially in home games)

Jonson (This guy scored for fun at Bromby...Leon hasn''t converted most of his chances)
Svensson

Let''s push up the field too and get people involved in the game, if anyone hides out there, bring them off straight away. It''s time for Worthington to stop saying "it will come" -We need it now, and he''s got to start demanding more from every single player...yes, even Huckerby.

Thoughts?

I''m sorry but why Eddy is being suggesting as being dropped by posters is beyond me.  He is superb at the moment and although he had a tough time yesterday he''s by far and away the best choice for right back

[quote]I''m sorry but why Eddy is being suggesting as being dropped by posters is beyond me. He is superb at the moment and although he had a tough time yesterday he''s by far and away the best choice for rig...[/quote]

Edworthy is the best choice for right back? Seen much of Helveg there have we? Didn''t think so...

Edworthy does ball-watch far too much; allowing runners to go past him, which is criminal at this level...getting skinned by Jerome Thomas yesterday (Arsenal reject) doesn''t exactly inspire confidence either. Not only is Helveg a better defender, he is a better organiser than Edworthy will ever be. We need him.

Bring back Helveg! He''s better than Edworthy...fact!

Eddy has got to be a runner for player of the season so far. People are obsessed with big name players. Helveg isn''t good enough to replace Eddy, sorry

Yep, sorry, I am all for Edworthy too. Only seen him play at home, but he is the business as far as I am concerned.

As far as the rest of the team goes I would like to see what Shackell could do (for height), perhaps bench Holt, don''t start McKenzie (for some reason he plays better coming on 2nd half), and bring Huckerby in a bit.

Not sure if this would achieve anything but we can''t keep going on like we have been or we still won''t get a win.

[quote]Right, seeing as this is now the biggest game of our season so far, we might as well start early. Anything to do with the game at all, stick it in here. My line up for the Southampton game: Green H...[/quote]

Do or die in this game, I think we should play for win not for draw, since I think if we really draw this game, we are almost finish!GreenEdworthy Shackell Charlton DruryFrancis Mulyrne Holt Bentley Doherty Huckerbysub: Helveg, Ward, Fleming, Henderson, McKenzie4-3-3! We need to win!!

Against Charlton,

Edworthy:

1st goal, ball watching

2nd goal, poor positioning, allowing a simple cross

3rd goal, absolutely shocking ball watching

4th goal, out of position, but fair enough we were attacking

Helveg has had two games at right back, both when he was fairly new to the club; slot him in there now and watch things improve. Edworthy is a Championship level defender, why do you think Wolves released him? He''s done as best as he can, and whilst he has had good games, his positional defending is generally woeful. Against Everton he got attracted to the ball yet again, allowing Kilbane to score.

Time for a change...Helveg back in please

I agree Helveg should get a start. Ok this guy hasnt set the world alight yet but he is a very experienced international- how many of those have we got? Given a run he could change our fortune, must be tried.Where he comes in is debatable - probably at right back but can play centre back or midfield, could try him with Francis in the middle.Think Mulryne should get a start to so I would go with:-

----------GREEN--------HELVEG FLEM CHARLTON DRURYBENTLEY MULRYNE FRANCIS--------------HUCKERBY SVEN MCKENZIE SUBS WARD JONSON SAFRI DOCHERTY MCVEIGH

I love the way that everyone is saying "Worthington should play our BEST players in their proper positions" and then say Edworthy should play instead of Helveg!!!Edworthy is a fine player, a hard worker and great utility back up - but if we need quality, surely we should be playing our quality players?And Edworthy for player of the season?? Ha ha. I would say he is our third worst player, behind Holt and Fleming and just pushing Leon "where should I stand?" Mckenzie into fourth.

I think dury is the one to be dropped he has been at best average this year he dwells on the ball for far  to long and gets caught at the back  and he is hopeless going forward just hasn''t got a clue , and as for being the skipper i would play charlie as left back his favored position and partner Flemming with either shackell or docherty . Holt has to go with safri in his place along side Francis and McKenzie NO END PRODUCT on the bench with johson up front he has to be worth a try as he has played there for his previous club and country and could do no worse than what we have tried so far this season.

Thanks Campbell, I was beginning to think that I was watching a different Eddie to everyone else and was starting to sound like a broken record.

As I have said elsewhere Eddie ha sbeen a superb star for us but like Holt is just being found out at this level - like Holt he is simply not up to the job of defending in the premier but what he does do is run around giving 110% for every minute he is on the pitch. However that simply is not enough. The third goal was the best example of his poor positioning - as usual he worked hard to get back to the six yard line but positioned himself so that he could not get the ball but was also not covering either player. Had he marked the striker in the middle or Konchesky at the back post and lost out I would not have a problem - however he chose to get himself stuck in no mans land and only able to watch the ball as it went past him and then into the back of the net. And thats before I mention his distribution.

Like Holt we do have an alternative to try, in Helveg, and playing less than 180 minutes from 3 starts is not enough for any player to have been given a fair crack of the whip. The bloke has more defensive ability at this level than any other player at the club and is also an option at centre back. We have to give him the chance to shows us what he can do.

OTBC

The worst player of the season so far has been Jonson - absolutely no doubt about that. He has been absolutely dreadful, he has no pace, doesn''t beat people, hasn''t scored, wastes the ball time and time again, doesn''t work particularly hard, has a poor first touch etc etc.... Not as good as Mark Rivers (who, even though he was lazy, at least beat the full-back at times. Remember Chelsea at home in the cup a couple of years ago? Rivers was superb), yet Jonson still keeps his place??? Helveg has 2 indifferent games at the start of the season and is dropped - I just don''t understand it.

I have said before but Eddy and Holt always give 110% but its not enough in this league. We have players on the bench (Helveg, Safri, Mulryne) all internationals who havent yet had a fair try.

Eddy has been at fault in a lot of our goals conceded recently especially on his positional play. A lot of goals have benn conceded by players arriving at the far post to tap or head home.

Oh yeah, sorry Worthy Nigelton, Jonson has been so bad in fact that I forgot to include him in my "worst player of the season so far" list. So that puts Edworthy fourth worst now.As for dropping Drury - no way. He is off form, but won''t be for long.

We will have to agree to disagree about Jonson Worthy Nigelton. Jonson has started slowly but has improved the more he has played. I agree we have not seen the best of him but he is starting to take players on but the main thing I disagree with is that he does not work particularly hard - the thing that has impressed me most is his very willingness to get back and support Eddy, covering in very deep positions when needed.

He is far better overall than Rivers and I feel he is very similar to Cooper - does well and shows some classy touches without quite impressing as much as he should. However there are clear improvements and IF they continue I have some faith we will see far more from him the longer the season goes on.

As far as my worst player of the season is concerned I am probably with either Holt or Eddy. Idf the question is who has failed to play as well as they can then neither of t hose two would win (performing as best they can - bless)it would be Helveg, but he like all players needs that time to play himself into the league.

OTBC

[quote]I have said before but Eddy and Holt always give 110% but its not enough in this league. We have players on the bench (Helveg, Safri, Mulryne) all internationals who havent yet had a fair try. Eddy h...[/quote]

Internationa players =/= Good players....

You are quite right internationals do not automatically equal good players - as bananaman pointed out elsewhere playing for canada or Northern Ireland hardly gaurantees that they are ''good'' players in premier league standings. And out best quality player is not good enough for his country - Hux.As far as mullers is concerned I think we should know enough about him to judge whether he can do a job for us - my view of him is he has ability but only shows it in 1 out of 3 games, he simply disappears in the othet two and lacks the mobility and physical presence required for a premier central midfielder. Safri again can pass a ball but looks too slow and prone to costly challenges.Helveg is slightly different in that he actually plays for a decent international team, clearly knows how to defend but has not yet got to grips with the pace of the prem game. But is never going to do so by warming his ar$e on the bench - the only way we will get the best out of him is to give him an extended run in the team. If he doesnt shape up after 6 games then I agree he should not be playing. OTBC

MY LINE UP FOR THE SOUTHAMPTON GAME

My Missis

My Dad                 My Brother                   My Dog          My Cockatiel

My 12 yr old Daughter      My Mum             Me            My Aunt Helger

My Nan                   My Grandad

GreenHelveg.Fleming.Shackell.CharltonBentley.Francis.Mulryne.BrennanJonson.Huckerby

DDIM - I think Campbell and  Zipper have it about right.  Study the videos and see how many goals we have conceded thru our full backs getting sucked out of position.  Having said that, I still feel that their contribution so far has still been valuable but, as we have said many times, they need some good coaching!

OTBC

Brolin
Forlan
Luzhny
Diao
Diouf
Guivarch

if i could be a*sed i could probably dig out a few more references.

My point - these were all supposed world class players who failed in England despite an impressive pedigree.
True there are many who succeeded but at the start of the season we were told Helveg was Mr Versatile and many posters had him playing right-midfield.
Why do you think Worthy keeps picking Eddy ahead of Helveg? And NO, its not another conspiracy of favouritism. Don''t you think Worthy would do play Helveg if he genuinely thought it improve the defence, get results and supporters off his back?

I''m in the edworthy camp -in case you couldn''t tell.

It seems in the case of Doherty, Helveg and Jonson that some fans want to play them in each position until they''ll admit they were mistakes.

Fillet - how do you know Helveg is another Brolin? I''m afraid that is speculation, and we all know that Nigel is playing Edworthy because once he has his team, he will not change it unless injury forces him to. See Holt. Fleming. Drury. etc.

Helveg is a better footballer than Edworthy. I would bet my house on it.

[quote]Campbell , For once I agree with everything you said. Ooh dear I think i need to lie down ![/quote]

Nothing wrong in agreeing with logical solutions and truthful words; which is all you''ll get from me

As Kevin Keegan said on Saturday, it''s no good players putting "sweat on the shirts" if the quality isn''t there...sums up perfectly what the Premier League is all about.

Helveg back in; give Shackell his chance; let Mulryne pull the strings; let Jonson play upfront where he does for his national team and where he scored regularly at Brondby; get the defence pushed up; the midfield in the right areas (this is surely worked on in training?) and defend from the front, nothing easy out from the back...

Little tip: if a striker drops off between the defence and midfield, a centre back must either go to him and mark tightly, or scream at Francis or whoever is closest to drop pick him up...against Man City we looked very amatuer in the way we defended against Wright-Phillips playing in the hole; all it needs is some communication and common sense.

One more thing...Francis for our captain? Hmmmm