Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Player Ratings

Ruddy - 5. Can''t really blame him for the goals but he needs to cut out the mistakes quick if wants to keep his place in the team. Kicking fairly suspect.

R Martin - 7.5. Often was forced to sort out the mistakes made by Ward and Nelson and made the tackle on the game. Always found himself in space further upfield.

Nelson - 6. Only got a higher rating than Ward because he scored. I''m not sure who told him to keep lumping the ball up the pitch to Jackson who probably smaller than McNamee.

Ward - 5. Not a very impressive debut. For a centre half he needs to clear the ball better.

Drury - 7. Done well getting forward and had a good second half.

Crofts - 8. MOM. I''m making an early prediction that he will get POTS. Great goal and was the stand out player last night.

Fox - 7. Looks good at picking out the pass but drifted in and out of the game a bit.

Surman - 6.5. Looks very tidy when he has the ball but little effort when he doesn''t. Great free kick.

Hoolahan - 6.5. We saw the best and worst of him last night. It doesn''t help when no one around him is in a good position to pass to.

C Martin - 7. Started off very well. Could form a strong partnership with Jackson.

Jackson - 6. Isn''t a target man so why did we use him as one? A fair debut and linked up well with Chrissy and lovely backheel to set up Crofts.

Holt - 7. Gave us more bite up front.

McNamee - 6. Was always in space but never used. I think we will be seeing a lot more of him in the future.

Lambert - 6. Should have gave Holt more game time and could have brought on Hughes or Smith to give our midfield more bite.

Ref - 5. Well we all know what he did wrong.

Fans - 6. Gave Malky a warm reception but died down after we were losing.

[quote user="nevermind"]r. martin 7.5 why?[/quote]Because he played well...much improved from last season....was just left exposed many a time....

Ruddy - 4

R Martin - 6

Drury - 6

Nelson - 7.5

Ward - 4

Crofts - 8

Fox - 5

Surman - 6.5

Hoolahan - 6

Jackson - 6.5

C Martin - 7

Holt - 6.5

Mcnamee - 6

Ruddy - 5: Thought he could have done better with the 2nd goal, not 100% sure as I wasn''t sitting at a good angle in the ground, but the replay showed it looked to be straight at him.

R Martin - 6: Got forward a lot, decent in spells, looks capable but very inconsistent.

Nelson - 5: Looked nervous as expected in a new division to him. Strong in the tackle as always, perhaps lacks the pace needed in this division. I wish he''d stop hoofing it too...

Ward - 5: Impressive for the first 10 minutes then simply scuffed, hoofed and skewed the ball all over the place.

Drury - 6.5: Consistent in defence and got forward a lot, rarely given the ball when in a crossing position though.

Fox - 5.5: Nice passer but really lacks the tackle, strength and physical presence needed for the holding role. Would be better in center mid.

Crofts - 7: Really impressed me yesterday. Took his goal really well, power and placement, works his socks off, full of energy. Likes the cut back rather than the cross.

Surman - 5: Looked classy in very brief spells though, confident he will come good in time.

Hoolahan - 7: Worked his magic brilliantly but his team mates let him down, forcing him to play a hopeful pass before the inevitable double markers closed him down.

C Martin - 6: Worked hard but never really made any threatening passes or runs.

Jackson - 6.5: Felt a little sorry for him to be honest. Long balls and hoofed clearances never gave him a chance. Exceptional back heel to set up the goal, made a number of runs off the shoulder but never got the service.

Subs: Holt 6.5: Instant impact winning free kicks, penalty shouts and giving the Watford back 4 something to actually think about. Please get fit soon Grant, you could be the difference for us this year once again!

McNamee: n/a, on for about 2 minutes and barely got a touch

Mine:

Ruddy - 5: First one went in at near post, maybe could have saved second and almost gifted Watford another when he dropped a cross second half. Worrying debut but I think he will get better.

R Martin - 6: Made some good covering tackles but misplaced alot of passes.

Ward - 5: Though the first few minutes he lookes really strong. Went a bit downhill!

Nelson - 6: Really needs to forge a partnership with someone, won a few headers. Well taken goal

Drury - 6: Usual, dependable self. Needs to get forward more if we play the diamond.

Fox - 6: Passing looked good and comfortable on the ball. Not sure he is a holding MF though

Crofts - 6: Not sure why everyone is raving about his performance, apart from goal he didn''t do a huge amount. Think he is a very good signing though.

Surman - 5: Very quiet. Didn''t move the ball or himself around much.

Hoolahan - 7: If only all our other players could work out what he is doing. Got on the ball, looked to pass in and some intelligent movement. Yes, didn''t always come off but thought he always looked bright.

C Martin - 6.5: Thought he lookes strong and worked well off the ball. Not much service

Jackson - 6. Lovely flick for Crofts goal and got into some promsiing positions. Needs a Holt alongside him to get the better service.

Holt - 6: Looked a bit slugglish which isn''t surprising but gave us a focal point.

Did McNamee come on at the end?

Top players for me last night were Crofts, Fox and Hoolahan. Some smart moves from Surman too at times.

As for Holt, it made all the difference when he came on. Ordered the team and pulled them together, unlike Nelson, who didn''t put in a convincing job as captain.

[quote user="Jen Jen "]

Top players for me last night were Crofts, Fox and Hoolahan. Some smart moves from Surman too at times.

As for Holt, it made all the difference when he came on. Ordered the team and pulled them together, unlike Nelson, who didn''t put in a convincing job as captain.

[/quote]

finally [y] Why don''t people seem to think that he was poor and should be dropped?!

I think the issue with most fans is Nana that Fox doesn''t quite have that physical presence that say Russell had, or perhaps Korey Smith could have. He''s more of a passer than someone to break up the opponents play. Seemed a bit too easy for Watford to pass it around in our final third.

I''m interested to see why Hoolahan got man of the match over Crofts. Scored a goal, was integral in the build up for the second, won the ball back with at least 5 tackles in midfield, played some good passes, looked like he cared, and really gave his all in that midfield. Thought he was by far the most effective player on the pitch.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]I think the issue with most fans is Nana that Fox doesn''t quite have that physical presence that say Russell had, or perhaps Korey Smith could have. He''s more of a passer than someone to break up the opponents play. Seemed a bit too easy for Watford to pass it around in our final third.[/quote]But the defenders were also poor last night and this made fox look poor, although he covered alot [y] I think fox will be a fan favorite very soon [y] 

I hope so Nana, seems to have rather impressive vision and reminded me a little last night of Sammy Clingan. If the defenders tighten up and Fox gets stuck in a bit more (seemed to stand off opponents a lot last night) he''ll come good :)

I couldn''t get to the game last night thanks to the Sky move so have had to rely on watching the recording today. Based on that, with 6 being average here are my ratings:

Ruddy - 5. FF is a huge loss from last season and the fans knew his value when they were singing for one more year. I would put good money on FF getting close to saving G2 and stopping G3. Ruddy shows passion but is inexperienced. We are taking a gamble having him gain experience but the boy deserves to be given our support because the only other option is a home grown even less experienced goalie. Jury very much out with fingers crossed.

R Martin - 6. Did his job but was a bit of a mixed bag at times. I still wonder why Posh didn''t play him at this level. Looks best going forwards but has everything to prove at this level defensively and it was his forward play that gave him an overall average score.

Nelson - 6. I think he did okay considering he had Ward suffering a mare next to him. Made some fundemental errors and was exposed for pace. Passed the ball better than expected on occasions and scored a good goal which won him an average score.

Ward - 4. Powder-puff defending. Turned his back on the ball when Watford shot and didn''t seem to want to go in where it hurt. (Compare to Holt heading the ball off Taylor''s boots). He has got to be a better player than this but does he lack courage?

Drury - 6. Nothing outstanding but typically consistent.

Crofts - 7. Gets an above average for his goal which was very well struck and also for his attitude. He seems to be settling in quickly and shows a better pass than I was expecting.

Fox - 5. Below average in the role he was given. He was not destructive enough and his passing range and accuracy couldn''t compensate. My early thoughts are I would prefer to see Korey in the diamond base. The question is: do we want to accommodate Fox for his passing?

Surman - 6. Average on the night but what an imperious player he looks. I didn''t see him misplace a pass and I love the running off the ball that reminds me of a ghosting Martin Peters (although Martin was in a class of his own). I am really excited by the potential of this player.

Hoolahan - 5. Wes just couldn''t get into the game often enough and for me needs Holt in the side to find the space. Can he play in the same side as Fox is the question for me at this stage?

C Martin - 7. Showed great ball control, movement and awareness. When will some of our fans realise they have a class act here? The biggest groan of the night was when CM had the ball taken off him. He worked to win it back, we went forward and Crofts scored. He will be fine in the Championship and is developing in leading the line.

Jackson - 6. Gets an average score because the service to him was not there. He badly needs a goal now to boost his confidence. I was pleased to see him trying things (including that back heel as this means he is keeping his head up). For me though, he is likely to be an impact player from the bench.

Holt - 7. All things considered GH made us look much more threatening when he came on and led by example in terms of passion and courage. he is a proper handful. BTW archant: he got a speeding fine, he is not a criminal and doesn''t deserve to be portrayed as such. Anyone would think he was a drunk driver by the headlines.

McNamee - I honestly couldn''t judge other than he didn''t stand out.

As for the crowd size: it is August; many people are on holiday; the game was moved to a difficult time for many fans; it was on TV and Watford didn''t bring many. It was a great effort considering the prices.