Sign in to follow this  
ellis206

Talksports top 20 sleeping giants outside the Premiership

They''ve got us at 18th, just below Bury Town and Notts County......... I would post the link but can''t find it again :) .

[quote user="ellis206"]They''ve got us at 18th, just below Bury Town and Notts County......... I would post the link but can''t find it again :) . [/quote]Sleeping Giants?  Bury Town is a comatose dwarf.

18th!!!!! Balls to that, I don''t think I want to see this list as it will only make me rage slightly, I''m not one to blow our clubs size out of proportion but given our large fanbase and incredible recent record of  average attendances it really grinds my gears the way our club is unfairly looked down on by outsiders as a small championship club.

I can only assume the theory behind Bury is their geographical positioning in the North West, where the likes on Man United and Man City operate. But even so, it still sounds ludicrous that we are 18th!

Having seen the list and how it''s been complied, the term "sleeping giants" is actually based on past glories. Nothing to do with potential. They scored it something like

10 pts for winning a European Trophy.

5 pts for being Champions

4 pts for winning the FA cup

3 pts for winning the league cup

2 pts for every season spent in Europe &

1 pt for seasons spent in the top flight.

You''ve got to remember that teams like Preston and Burnley were huge huge teams in their day. Not too sure about Bury. If it was based on potential, a lot of fans around the country appreciate that we sell out our ground week in week out and have a whole county behind us, but this article was based on past glories.

TalkSport is genuinely the worst radio station I''ve ever heard. One presenter openly admitted to not knowing who Yaya Toure was until the world cup. They are staffed by illiterates and morons who fail to realise that football extends beyond the big 4. They even beat tabloid newspapers for their sheer f***ing stupidity. Stop listening to TalkSport.

This is therefore presumably on the basis that Bury won the FA Cup a couple of times over a hundred years ago. What cobblers - I agree that Talksport is a waste of valuable airspace - I never listen to its garbage.

I wouldn''t waste time listening to Talksport. Presenters who know sod all, with an ex pro beside them who they always take a contrary opinion to then encourage people to call in with their ''opinions'' & make megabucks out of their calls. Lowest common denominator radio imho.

The Top 10 are:Leeds

Forest

Sheff Wed

DerbySheff Utd

Burnley

PNE

Ipswich

Middlesborough

Huddersfield

Maybe Darel made the right choice..... (laughs)

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The Top 10 are:Leeds

Forest

Sheff Wed

DerbySheff Utd

Burnley

PNE

Ipswich

Middlesborough

Huddersfield

Maybe Darel made the right choice..... (laughs)[/quote]It might make more sense if they weighted it in favour of trophies won more recently, and teams that have recent experience in the top flight. Leeds top? well ok because they won the league in 1992 and have been in Europe within the last decade. But Preston? When did they last win anything? They haven''t even been in the top division for 50 years!

[quote user="ellis206"]They''ve got us at 18th, just below Bury Town and Notts County......... I would post the link but can''t find it again :) .
[/quote]

Are you kidding with those two crappy little clubs? What sort of brain dead muppets come up with this sort of sh.it. They must have their heads permanently stuck up their butts, considering the depth of their knowledge or lack of it!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The Top 10 are:

Leeds
Forest
Sheff Wed
Derby
Sheff Utd
Burnley
PNE
Ipswich
Middlesborough
Huddersfield

Maybe Darel made the right choice..... (laughs)

[/quote]

I don''t have much argument with that top 5, they are all probably slightly bigger than City, but Norwich City and Leicester should be placed immediately below Sheff Utd and above Burnley and the rest of that shower of sh.ite

You''ve probably hit the nail on the head there, Poor Man''s Ruel Fox; these muppets are being deliberately provocative in order to stir up passionate debate. That tactic works well on this message board, incidentally. An astute friend of mine advocates slipping in at least one deliberate error in any poster or communication; that way people take much more notice.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]

You''ve probably hit the nail on the head there, Poor Man''s Ruel Fox; these muppets are being deliberately provocative in order to stir up passionate debate. That tactic works well on this message board, incidentally. An astute friend of mine advocates slipping in at least one deliberate error in any poster or communication; that way people take much more notice.

[/quote]

Well of course they do, they''re trying to compete with the millions that the BBC gets handed to them every year.

Simple fact of the matter is that it works. Their success proves it.

Personally i quite like the station. It''s certainly entertaining, and isn''t worried about laughing at itself and it''s reputation. You just have to take everything they say wiith a pinch of salt, that''s all. At least it''s not bland like FiveLive. I''d rather listen to Stan Collymore and a bunch of ex-footballers than the likes of Alan Green, any day.

They should of worked things out going n post war records, not teams who won the FA cup in the 1800''s!

How many clubs would average nearly 25,000 in the 3rd Division. Not many is the answer and I bet many clubs who are supposedly bigger than us wouldn''t!

No disrespect to Bury and |Notts Countyy but we''re bigger than them 2 put together!

Just shows the "Little Norwich" urban myth is still alive and well with ignorant people!

Every ‘debate’ on there is fabricated and Mike Parry (who runs the show) is a classic wind up merchant who says ridiculous things because he knows people will react.

Having said that I was listening the other day and Darren Gough genuinely couldn’t remember what greyhounds were called. “Those whippet things that roon around tracks”..

Wow! A radio station dares to list Norwich 18th, in a table of sleeping giants, and the next thing, the pinkun want the station burnt to the ground LOL.

For those who actually bothered to look into it, the list was made by, years in the top flight, Highest attendences, trophys won, finals, europeon cup wins, uefa cup wins, cup winners cup wins, fa cup wins, league cup wins, league wins, seasons in europe.

To me that all makes sense, what do you want them to base it on?

Of course Leeds are going to be top, plenty of europe runs, titles, cups etc. same as Forsest, Sheff Wed, and I hate to say this but ipswich.

And I also only saw the top ten, and nothing about us being 18th and below Bury.

Oh I forgot, they should have based it on who won League One last season shouldnt they. LOL.

I am quite flattred we are even in the top 20 of sleeping giants, let alone go nuts about it.

The top 20 was -

Leeds

Forest

Sheff wed

Derby

Sheff Utd

Burnley

Preston

Ipswich

Middlesboro

Huddersfield

Portsmouth

Leicester

Southampton

Cardiff

Coventry

Notts County

Bury

Charlton

NORWICH

QPR

Now, like I said, this is based on titles, cups, attendences, years in Europe, and number of years spent in the top flight.

If look at it normally rather than the "how dare they put Norwich that low"" attitude, the list makes sense.

Also the talksport witch hunt is rubbish. Had they put us in the top 5, you would all be going on about what a great station it is.

And to slag off their presenters as idiots, when most of them also work for Sky, ITV, and BBC also, is basically saying there is not one single decent pundit or pre3senter in the world of football.

Sky are regarded as the best, yet every week, Stelling, Kamara, Windass, Merson, Le Tisser etc make constant bollock ups. do we moan about that and stop watching? No, we laugh about it.

Sorry, but this how dare they put Norwich that low crap is ridiculous. Look up the history of clubs, and the survey is spot on. We should be honoured to be in the top 20.

Just because we get 24,000+ for home games, does not make us a bigger club, than clubs who have won titles, cups in europe, and been in the top flight longer than us.

Dont get me wrong, I defend Norwich to the hilt, but the facts are in the survey for all to see, so rather than having a biased view, look up a bit of history 1st hey. The teams above us, are above us on what they have achieved. Apart from the Uefa cup run and 85, we havent had the success of the cl;ubs above us, just be glad they stuck us in the top 20.