Sign in to follow this  
CJ

In Lambert we trust - no

In Lambert we trust - yesIt''s the next few weeks when Lambert is really going to earn his money, sorting out the rag-bag of individual players we saw tonight into a functioning, efficient team. It was never going to work immediately, with 6 new players in the starting line-up who had never played together before (no, pre-season friendlies don''t count). Wait until 10 or 12 games into the season and I think it will all start to come together, and we will see that Lambert isn''t just another flash in the pan as a manager, he''s the real deal.

Someone else who wants to see 10 poor games (spending £300 and enjuring much misery) before he gets a good game. Why bother with pre season if it does no good? I thought we put this one to bed in another thread and got it down to a max of 5 games!

A quick word on the booing in the last 10/15 minutes, from where I was sat in the Barclay it was all directed at the Referee and Linesman who gave us nothing all game, not at any of the players.

[quote user="CJ"]Just in case I get some knockers I disagree with other posters and think in general our play was good however atthis level you can not afford too many weak links and three is way too many. I just have to say I can not see after theEverton game how  Lambert did not realise that at least one, Ward should be replaced. If he carries on with same blinkered view we are in deep trouble![/quote]Whitbread is injured, Askou is not match fit.  Nor is Ward, but we need two centre backs and Ward is the best of the bunch at the moment.  Agree this is worrying but it''s very early days.I can see Rudd coming in for Ruddy who to me looks pretty much a liability both against Everton and last night.If we were watching the same game then Jackson created the goal with a lovely back heel, ran the channels and had crap service all night with Nelly hoofing it time and time again up to the little man.In Lambert we trust? - Yes.  You learn a lot about a team and a manager from performances like last night''s and I expect better things to follow.

Perhaps Mr Chops you can tell me how those three goals were Ruddy''s fault and make him look a liability?

As I saw it the liability was a central defender with Premiership experience.

[quote user="Bobert"]

Someone else who wants to see 10 poor games (spending £300 and enjuring much misery) before he gets a good game. Why bother with pre season if it does no good? I thought we put this one to bed in another thread and got it down to a max of 5 games!

[/quote]Nobody "wants" to see 10 poor games, but thats often how long it takes. Pre-season is useful for certain aspects of the game - match fitness and maybe the more creative side of the game, but friendlies dont really test the more destructive aspects - hard tackling, ball-winning etc. because obviousle nobody wants to take risks. I think we saw that last night - we looked ok creatively, but totally ineffective at  the ugly side of things, closing down and winning the ball back in midfield.Don''t worry, Lambert  will get it right in the end.

I''d give it time lads. As frustrating as last night was and yeah, some of the new lads did not cover themselves in glory but, we have to give it time. One game doesn''t define a player, keep the faith!!

the only thing Lambert maybe is guilty of is playing too many of the new signings together when perhaps they still don''t know each other that well.Perhaps Lappin would have been a better choice in the middle of the park? should Holt have started then come off when the Injury kicked in? or Oli J even?we were undone by the unknowing yesterday.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Perhaps Mr Chops you can tell me how those three goals were Ruddy''s fault and make him look a liability?

As I saw it the liability was a central defender with Premiership experience.[/quote]I didn''t say the goals were his fault, I said he looked like a liability against Everton and again last night.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]the only thing Lambert maybe is guilty of is playing too many of the new signings together when perhaps they still don''t know each other that well.Perhaps Lappin would have been a better choice in the middle of the park? should Holt have started then come off when the Injury kicked in? or Oli J even?we were undone by the unknowing yesterday.[/quote]Agreed. It is difficult when so many new players come in all at once. I would partly blame the transfer window system for this. In the old days a manager could build his team up bit-by-bit over the course of a season, but now he really has to do all his buying in the summer and throw a load of new players in together at the start of the season.

"Agreed. It is difficult when so many new players come in all at once. I would partly blame the transfer window system for this. In the old days a manager could build his team up bit-by-bit over the course of a season, but now he really has to do all his buying in the summer and throw a load of new players in together at the start of the season."

Fully agree.

Isn''t it amazing !! last season we were blinded by the sun shining out of Lamberts rear end, now one game in and Lambert is now the villian, shows how quick the worm turns isn''t it..  Just take a moment and realise Norwich are in a different league now, which have better teams and Norwich are not up to it, so the old saying is "What goes up must come down" SIMPLE..

How much extra will Ward and Jackson give us than we already had in Doherty and McDonald?

The Jackson money would have been better spent keeping Doherty and funding a quality centre back. 

We need a quality striker too , thats another major problem 4 strikers and all from the lower leagues who will struggle for goals at this level.

With this Ward business, Nelson was just as bad.  On Tuesday I would start with Ward and Askou because Nelson looked a poor player last season and last night, whereas I have only seen Ward for one game and need more time.  And he did actually start well.  I suppose he will be the next scapegoat?  Nelson won''t be even though he is a poor player because he scored two important goals last season.

[quote user="Boyo''"]With this Ward business, Nelson was just as bad.  On Tuesday I would start with Ward and Askou because Nelson looked a poor player last season and last night, whereas I have only seen Ward for one game and need more time.  And he did actually start well.  I suppose he will be the next scapegoat?  Nelson won''t be even though he is a poor player because he scored two important goals last season.

Agree that Nelson was poor but was still better than Ward cause he looked more comfrotable with the ball, but to say he looked poor last season is ridiculous. Nelson had some poor games last term but they were few and far between and in the 2nd half of the season was outstanding!

Ward is a concern cause he looked miles of the pace and a pale comparison of the much better Doc!

Ward needs more time but if he doesn''t improve it will have been a bad misjudgement on Lamberts part. Its not hard to see why Ward was out of favour at Coventry!

[quote user="Boyo"]With this Ward business, Nelson was just as bad.  On Tuesday I would start with Ward and Askou because Nelson looked a poor player last season and last night, whereas I have only seen Ward for one game and need more time.  And he did actually start well.  I suppose he will be the next scapegoat?  Nelson won''t be even though he is a poor player because he scored two important goals last season.[/quote]Ahahahahahahaha.