Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

The only fear of playing Declan Rudd

firstly i think Ruddy will come good, However if he doesn''t then we need to consider the risks of playing with Declan Rudd every week.firstly, Rudd is a fantastic talent and I think will become a very very good Goalkeeper over time, playing for the England under 19''s there''s no reason he cant get to an even higher standard.However, we need to push on this season... how any successful clubs have stuck a teenager in goal and got away with it? it just doesnt happen. Goalkeepers are just 1 player, if he stuffs it up then 9 times out of 10 its a goal, theres no one to bail him out of trouble. a youngster who will make the odd error can have his career ruined by a simple mistake.Rudd needs more games for us, Gillingham on Tuesday would be a good chance for him, lots of sides play their 2nd choice keeper in the cup and as its a low key tie against weaker opposition it will be a good learning curve for Declan.Lambert needs to get another experienced keeper in on loan, i don''t care if he is first choice or a bench warmer. this then allows us to loan Declan out to get football, if he makes mistakes then we can bring him back and nurture him a bit more, if he does well then we can bring him back and stick him in the team. We cant lose.. like Newcastle couldn''t with Forster last season.and everyone champing at the bit and writing John ruddy off to stick a raw teenager in goal... i suggest you look at a history book, Nottingham forest vs Norwich City, December 27th 1994..... and the months after that game... still a good idear to stick a mere baby in goal?

playing 3/4 cup games, and then the odd chance of the keeper getting sent off, to get experiance just isn''t enough....How will we know if Rudd will come good, if he doesn''t get to play?I don''t think we should have bought Ruddy (i''m not writting him off at all....) its just, he is only 23, still a youngster himself, i thought the same last season when we got Forster in on loan....What is the point in getting young keepers in, when we have 2 of our own, who have majour potential....I would have rather we signed someone, almost like David James, who can pass on experiance, and then step down in a season or two, but potentially, Ruddy came here expecting to be number 1 for years to come.......

Thing is you only get experience by playing games, if we rate him as a future Championship keeper or whatever if he never plays games in the Championship he''ll never live up to his potential. Sooner or later he''s going to need to play at this level in order to develop and I have a horrible feeling if we don''t start giving him a look in we''ll lose him. He should defo start on Tuesday and unless we can bring in an experienced keeper in on loan should start against Scunthorpe.

As much as I''d like to see Rudd play vs Gillingham I can''t see it happening. Lambo will feel he needs to build Ruddys confidence so he''ll give him the run out vs Gills.The current greater good is to build Ruddys confidence. Remember where our head scout has come from (Rangers) I very much doubt he''d have got Ruddy in without seeing some real class there last season.

[quote user="McNamees attitude"]Thing is you only get experience by playing games, if we rate him as a future Championship keeper or whatever if he never plays games in the Championship he''ll never live up to his potential. Sooner or later he''s going to need to play at this level in order to develop and I have a horrible feeling if we don''t start giving him a look in we''ll lose him. He should defo start on Tuesday and unless we can bring in an experienced keeper in on loan should start against Scunthorpe.[/quote]i agree in a way.. everyone harped on about Joe Lewis for years.. is he really that good? is it because he didn''t get games?I agree about Declan playing games.. but its clear he isn''t going to get them here, hence the need for a loan keeper. i agree a keeper maybe 34-35 to sit on the bench will pressure Ruddy and allow us to loan Declan out for that vital football he needs.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Send him out on loan until january to get some game time....but then i suppose we would have steer on the bench [:S][/quote]

For those that don''t know, Rudd has said himself that he Don''t want the No1 shirt yet, he is too young to shoulder the weight of the club,  

We have to stick with Ruddy for the next 10 games. He really wasn''t that bad except for the cross he flapped which Mariappa somehow contrived to miss. Maybe he could have made himself slightly bigger for the second goal but I think that is being harsh, both the first and third took deflections that would have wrong footed him and beat most keepers.

I am not going to comment on Ruddy. Just wanted to say I seriously would have no problem in playing Rudd. Even though he''s only 19 he''s impressed me very much so when playing for us, and for England u19! He plays with confidence, something Ruddy hasn''t seemed to do. [:(]

[quote user="Brendo "]I am not going to comment on Ruddy. Just wanted to say I seriously would have no problem in playing Rudd. Even though he''s only 19 he''s impressed me very much so when playing for us, and for England u19! He plays with confidence, something Ruddy hasn''t seemed to do. [:(][/quote]only 2 teams i can think of have blooded Teenage keepers.. Parma with a teenage Buffon and Barca with casillas, both world class keepers with (at the time in the case of Parma) world class teams.a far cry from a mid table championship side with basic coaching levels. Rudd could do the job, but inexperience could cost us! Very few times try teenage keepers from the get go and this is the main point.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]firstly i think Ruddy will come good, However if he doesn''t then we need to consider the risks of playing with Declan Rudd every week.

firstly, Rudd is a fantastic talent and I think will become a very very good Goalkeeper over time, playing for the England under 19''s there''s no reason he cant get to an even higher standard.

However, we need to push on this season... how any successful clubs have stuck a teenager in goal and got away with it? it just doesnt happen. Goalkeepers are just 1 player, if he stuffs it up then 9 times out of 10 its a goal, theres no one to bail him out of trouble. a youngster who will make the odd error can have his career ruined by a simple mistake.

Rudd needs more games for us, Gillingham on Tuesday would be a good chance for him, lots of sides play their 2nd choice keeper in the cup and as its a low key tie against weaker opposition it will be a good learning curve for Declan.

Lambert needs to get another experienced keeper in on loan, i don''t care if he is first choice or a bench warmer. this then allows us to loan Declan out to get football, if he makes mistakes then we can bring him back and nurture him a bit more, if he does well then we can bring him back and stick him in the team. We cant lose.. like Newcastle couldn''t with Forster last season.

and everyone champing at the bit and writing John ruddy off to stick a raw teenager in goal... i suggest you look at a history book, Nottingham forest vs Norwich City, December 27th 1994..... and the months after that game... still a good idear to stick a mere baby in goal?
[/quote]

real madrid  [:D]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Brendo "]I am not going to comment on Ruddy. Just wanted to say I seriously would have no problem in playing Rudd. Even though he''s only 19 he''s impressed me very much so when playing for us, and for England u19! He plays with confidence, something Ruddy hasn''t seemed to do. [:(][/quote]only 2 teams i can think of have blooded Teenage keepers.. Parma with a teenage Buffon and Barca with casillas, both world class keepers with (at the time in the case of Parma) world class teams.a far cry from a mid table championship side with basic coaching levels. Rudd could do the job, but inexperience could cost us! Very few times try teenage keepers from the get go and this is the main point.[/quote]real madrid with casillas even

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Brendo "]I am not going to comment on Ruddy.

Just wanted to say I seriously would have no problem in playing Rudd. Even though he''s only 19 he''s impressed me very much so when playing for us, and for England u19! He plays with confidence, something Ruddy hasn''t seemed to do. [:(]
[/quote]

only 2 teams i can think of have blooded Teenage keepers.. Parma with a teenage Buffon and Barca with casillas, both world class keepers with (at the time in the case of Parma) world class teams.

a far cry from a mid table championship side with basic coaching levels. Rudd could do the job, but inexperience could cost us!

Very few times try teenage keepers from the get go and this is the main point.
[/quote]

real madrid with casillas even
[/quote]

and what do you mean basic coaching levels  ? that fat bloke chucks balls at the keepers in the warm up as well as anyone else [:D]

[quote user="pennywise "]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Brendo "]I am not going to comment on Ruddy. Just wanted to say I seriously would have no problem in playing Rudd. Even though he''s only 19 he''s impressed me very much so when playing for us, and for England u19! He plays with confidence, something Ruddy hasn''t seemed to do. [:(][/quote]only 2 teams i can think of have blooded Teenage keepers.. Parma with a teenage Buffon and Barca with casillas, both world class keepers with (at the time in the case of Parma) world class teams.a far cry from a mid table championship side with basic coaching levels. Rudd could do the job, but inexperience could cost us! Very few times try teenage keepers from the get go and this is the main point.[/quote]real madrid with casillas even[/quote]

and what do you mean basic coaching levels  ? that fat bloke chucks balls at the keepers in the warm up as well as anyone else [:D]

[/quote]when you consider Parma in the early 90''s and real madrid full stop.. Lawrence batty would probably be chief burger tester at those 2 clubs!

Goalkeepers always take a while to settle at clubs. Remember how long it was before Gunn felt secure (who remembers his headless chicken run in a game against Man Utd, when he blocked a shot from Remi Moses(?) on the half way line?), and even with Forster last year (after his sending off many were calling for Rudd to stay in goal because he was better than Forster). I think Ruddy will be fine - but people seem to think keepers should be turning in top class performances from day one - that rarely happens!

The idea is clearly for Rudd to go out on loan soon to get him some experience and hopefully we will have genuine competition for the keepers spot for the first time in years!

"As much as I''d like to see Rudd play vs Gillingham I can''t see it happening. Lambo will feel he needs to build Ruddys confidence so he''ll give him the run out vs Gills.

The current greater good is to build Ruddys confidence. Remember where our head scout has come from (Rangers) I very much doubt he''d have got Ruddy in without seeing some real class there last season."

Agree with this, I hope Lambert plays the side he thinks will start against Scunthorpe to hopefully boost their confidence and giving them more time to gel. I also hope Grant Holt gets a good run out

"Agree with this, I hope Lambert plays the side he thinks will start against Scunthorpe to hopefully boost their confidence and giving them more time to gel"

Playing the side that will play against Scunthorpe would mean that Crofts will not play against Scunthorpe, as he can''t play against Gillingham. After last night I would expect him to be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

He has to play at this level to be experienced at this level. Lets get this right, his not 7 or 8, hes a man, hes been old enough to play for the senior team since he was 15/16. You dont know unless you try. A certain keeper called Buffon made his debut in seria A at 17 and was never dropped, and is the best keeper in the world. If you are good enough you are old enough. {cringe at that cliche!} Look at all succesfull keeper, got their break in thier teens and never looked back. Ruddy has spent 6/7 years being groomed at Everton, and they got shot. Now im not saying Ruddy isnt good, but the only thing that normally comes of a loan move, is a permanant move away.

[quote user="Back after the break"]

Goalkeepers always take a while to settle at clubs. [/quote]

Yes they do, Gomes at Spurs, they were going to get rid after 6 months, but last season he looked great.

There is a myth that goalkeepers, dont need time to settle, thats bollox.

[quote user="Boogle"]He has to play at this level to be experienced at this level. Lets get this right, his not 7 or 8, hes a man, hes been old enough to play for the senior team since he was 15/16. You dont know unless you try. A certain keeper called Buffon made his debut in seria A at 17 and was never dropped, and is the best keeper in the world. If you are good enough you are old enough. {cringe at that cliche!} Look at all succesfull keeper, got their break in thier teens and never looked back. Ruddy has spent 6/7 years being groomed at Everton, and they got shot. Now im not saying Ruddy isnt good, but the only thing that normally comes of a loan move, is a permanant move away.[/quote]Grobbelar wasn''t a teenager at Liverpool, Neither was schmeichel at Man utd when he first signed, follow their careers and they all became regular players once they hit 22/23. Buffon and Casillas are 2 who did make the grade. but find me how many of the 92 professional teams in this country are starting with a teenager in goal.. then lets watch how they get on.

I think the new look back 4 looks nervous, that nervousness is obviously contagious as Ruddy doesnt look confident. I think once everyone gets used to each other then Ruddy will grow. To be fair, were any of us really convinced about Fraser Forster this early in the season.