Sign in to follow this  
ca

Do we need the Ipswich approach

Hold on hear me out before you shout me down

Just was wondering after listening to comments on Radio 5 after the Ipswich game and they were saying that their 5 men across the midfield really worked against Middlesborugh becuase they just couldn''t find a way through.

This is a touch league, will our diamond formation work with Wes who performs well  with his fancy footwork when he has plenty of space to roam work?

Do we need to think about blocking the midfield with  5 across the middle setting up plenty of chances for Holt?

Youe opinions please?

Maybe away from home, but at home you have to play to win and 5 across the middle is too negative. You need to dictate the play at home and you can''t dictate with 4-5-1, you can only spoil and smother the opposition.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Maybe away from home, but at home you have to play to win and 5 across the middle is too negative. You need to dictate the play at home and you can''t dictate with 4-5-1, you can only spoil and smother the opposition.

[/quote]

Yes was thinking more away from home although didn''t make that clear, just can''t see the diamond working away against strong teams.

Would you stick with the diamond formation at home Mr Chops or  would you be tempted to revert to 442?

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Maybe away from home, but at home you have to play to win and 5 across the middle is too negative. You need to dictate the play at home and you can''t dictate with 4-5-1, you can only spoil and smother the opposition.

[/quote]

Yes was thinking more away from home although didn''t make that clear, just can''t see the diamond working away against strong teams.

Would you stick with the diamond formation at home Mr Chops or  would you be tempted to revert to 442?

[/quote]Really tough question.I think the diamond is only in play to accommodate Hoolahan, and I haven''t seen enough of him in that role in the Championship to know if he can do it or not.  I recall him destroying us when he played for Blackpool, but for our relegation season he was played wide left and didn''t have the same creative threat.I would stick with it for the next few home games but if by mid-October we haven''t improved then I would look at a 4-4-2 because I think this would free up Fox & Crofts.  The problem then is who plays wide right, which I guess would be Macca but then you have to drop Hoolahan altogether (or Surman who looks a better wide player).So tough choices ahead, let''s hope the diamond works out and we don''t need to go down this route.

I think it might be a bit early to call time on the diamond Angel. It certainly works better when the players are moving more and are aware that they have to continually move around to cover. I felt last night that things sort of just fell against us; in that our defence were a bit slow and not match ready and our midfield wern''t quite sure on their positioning and assignments. When it''s done right, and I have faith in Lambert to get the players thinking his way, then those bottom three of the diamond will make other teams midfields have to work hard. At the other end, although we haven''t seen the best of Wes in the championship, I feel it''s safe to say that if he works on his game a little, him and Martin and Holt can easily make the adjustment to their level and score us goals. Personally, we aren''t quite ready defensively, so in the meantime it means our midfield will have to be putting a little extra going backwards rather than forwards.

WE have got to play to our strenghts at home, by playing the diamond, but when we go away we should attack against the lower teams, but if we play middlesboro etc then yeah change to a more 4-4-2 formation but to go 4-5-1 thats to defencive for lambert i think and he wont try it.

This is exactly what Watford done to us Friday, they flooded the midfield to stop Hoolahan and Surman dictating the game. As soon as one of them got it, they had at least two men go after them and get the ball off them as soon as possible. Your right, away from home against quality opposition we need to adopt this approach. Lambo really should of spotted this earlier and brought McNamee on to give us some more width so that it was harder for the opposition midfielders to close us down.

for a 5 man midfield to work you generally need a ball winner to get the boot in, that gives you the option of pushing one of the central midfielders up to support the striker or the wingers to cut in. the Lone striker also has to do a hell of a lot of running and be capable of scoring with what could be the only chance he gets.

fitness, a decent first touch and the ability to shoot from anywhere are more of a Chris Martin trait than grant holt, not sure who the meat in the middle would be though to crucnh into the tackl and win the ball in the defensive role.

Do we need the Ipswich approach , yes but only in the shape of a new owner to buy us the class of player that we need for this league . We will struggle because we are a league 1 side with  maybe three players who can cut it at this level and thats being generous.We need to add proven Championship players (and not the ones thrown on the scrapeheap by teams like Coventry) but i would guess the money is already spent , without them we can all look forward to winning the pub league again next season .