Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Ward and PL

Just watched the goals again to refresh the decaying brain cells  and it''s pretty clear that the boy Ward was mostly responsible for goals 1 and 3. Failing to close your opponent down and then turning your back on a shot is inexcusable. Their third goal in particular was appalling defending. PL should stop moaning about the ref and look at the tape again to see where the real responsibility lies. I don''t blame the keeper for the last goal, he goes full length and the ball crept in off the post, what more could he do?

Pity about the basic defending though as Ward can play the ball out from the back (which is what we need) and has some style about him. Let''s hope some real hard work can be done at Colney this week to eradicate his mistakes. I''ll be watching closely next Saturday - Row M, Seat 110 if any of you want to pop along for a chat. 

Surman - sorry but I was disappointed with his contribution. A few nice touches but he played narrow and gave us no natural left side option that Lappin used to. I didn''t see this much hyped ''left foot'' in action either. Improvement required me thinks.

Talking of our ''narrow'' style of play, why the hell does PL wait until the third goal goes in before bringing on MacNamee - he should have been on with Holt (at the latest)? 

Finally I did''nt know much about Jackson and niavely assumed him to be a bustling Holt like target man. When I checked the stats my heart sank. Will he offer us anymore than Cody (who has been badly treated in my opinion)? Time will tell but, once again, if Holt misses games we could struggle seriously with that lack of muscular replacement.

I do thoroughly agree. However the only bits I saw of Lambert, was him just saying that you simply can''t give away two goals like we did. Didn''t see him whining about the ref? [:S]

I think also some of today''s result put some perspective on it. Both Boro and Forest are pointless as well.

QPR may have won 4-0, but does anyone see them winning this league?

Even Rudolph Nureyev and Dame Margot Fonteyn would have been mightily impressed by Ward''s stunning half-pirouette for Watford''s third goal.....

I thought Ruddy may have saved it if it wasn''t for the slight deflection...Never mind, and roll on Tuesday.

I thought Ruddy could have got down a bit quicker to stop the third goal but that dosn''t mean he is to blame.  I also wouldn''t blame Ward with the third either.  Yes he was a little slow to close Graham down but if Nelson and R.Martin didn''t get their knickers in a twist and used some basic communication then Ward and Ruddy would have been spectators as the ball went into the Watford half.

You can''t blame Ruddy or Ward for that, IMO Nelson and R.Martin were at fault.

FINALLY MELLOW YELLOW ! ! ! I haven''t seen another poster mention it at all.

Ruddy had that third shot saved and was down nicely had it not taken a deflection off the inside of the city defender''s leg taking it out of reach and into the bottom corner.

Personally I blame the missed interception from the cross for the 1st goal. It was that miss timing that allowed Eustace to control the ball and shoot.

Same for the third goal. It was Nelson''s poor headed clearance and being put off by R Martin that gave the chance to Danny Graham in the first place.

I''m guessing we see different things as the cause of goals. I look at the build up and think what we could of done better. You look at it and blame the player once the chance has already been given.

The difference is in what I see as the cause of the goal means they wouldn''t of even had the chance in the first place.

Davo

Yellow Rider: "Pity about the basic defending though as Ward can play the ball out from

the back
 (which is what we need) and has some style about him.^Agree your basic post YR but not so sure about the above comment. Early days but Friday was no different from his performance in the Lincoln friendly. He hoofs the ball forward or passes straight back to the sender to often. He seems slow to move. He may be lacking fitness but so far he has not impressed in any department.

Elliot Ward - slow, doesn''t look comfortable on the ball, turns his back - Bottom line is if he doesn''t improve then we''d have signed a duffer and we''ll struggle as a result!

Big call getting rid of our best central defender from last season, who incidentally played very well for Charlton yesterday!

[quote user="Binky"]Yellow Rider: "Pity about the basic defending though as Ward can play the ball out from the back (which is what we need) and has some style about him.^

Agree your basic post YR but not so sure about the above comment. Early days but Friday was no different from his performance in the Lincoln friendly. He hoofs the ball forward or passes straight back to the sender to often. He seems slow to move. He may be lacking fitness but so far he has not impressed in any department.
[/quote]

Didn''t see any of the friendlies but will watch him more closely on Saturday - early days yet and he may just need games to settle in and get up to pace. I don''t write him off yet but must admit I was concerned when we signed him after I saw that Coventry''s £1M signing had been farmed out to Doncaster and Preston on loan! That simple fact might well tell it''s own story. Let''s hope our scouts and PL are better judges - after all, they should be!   

Concern on Ruddy is not that he looked a little nervous - I''m sure the Everton goal didn''t help on that front. It was simply for goals 2 and 3 he didn''t seem to react very quickley. Reaction speed - this is surely something that is difficult or impossible to improve. I had a good view of goal two, and I know the ball was on him quick but his hand hardly moved at all - I think a top quality keeper would have saved it or at least got more of a hand on it which leads me to fear does not have the potential of Forster.