Sign in to follow this  

I still can not work out why Micky S has left us for Brentford and we are stuck with Russell Martin. He is so league one (On a good day).

I took time out on Friday night to concentrate on his performance. He seems to have an affliction that is based on Peter Grant. He basically spends most of the game worrying about his teammates positions rather than his own. Even to the "point" of pointing to no one when no one who is near him that he can communicate with. He needs to worry about his own game - which is not up to scratch.

Martin is good at finding attacking positions however, he seems to lack awareness.I critisised him on Friday night but after a little thinking I have realized that he does offer something to the side.  I believe Francomb will become our first choice RB sometime soon however R. Martin is good enough for the time being.  He does however need a good CB playing beside him as he does get caught out too far up the pitch and his passing is often misplaced but he has vastly improved over the pre season IMO.

I thought he played quite well on Friday, considering the rest of the teams performance. And i''m a critic of his. But hey-ho, all see the game differently i guess [:)]

I thought Russell Martin did remarkably well on Friday; too many times he was put in possession and looked up to discover no yellow shirts within 40/50 yards of him! I''d be pointing too if my colleagues went awol like that!

Unfortunately for him Russell Martin seems to be judged on a pre-conceived reputation rather than performance.

There were many players far, far worse than him on Friday. He had a reasonable match.

[quote user="6 ft 2 eyes are blue Duncan Forbes is after you"]

I took time out on Friday night to concentrate on his performance.[/quote]I think the fact that you took time out to "concentrate" on his performance shows that you were expecting a certain type of performance. I would guarantee that a fan of Russell Martin would be able to point out a positive performance, whilst ignoring the less positive aspects of his game.The simple fact is you can watch a player as closely as you like, but the conclusion that you draw will most likely be based on the opinion you had of that player prior to the game anyway.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

I thought Russell Martin did remarkably well on Friday; too many times he was put in possession and looked up to discover no yellow shirts within 40/50 yards of him! I''d be pointing too if my colleagues went awol like that!

[/quote]So well, that it was his fault for the third goal? He got completely in Nelsons way, when Nelson tried to head it and it went to Graham who went and scored

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="6 ft 2 eyes are blue Duncan Forbes is after you"]

I took time out on Friday night to concentrate on his performance.[/quote]I think the fact that you took time out to "concentrate" on his performance shows that you were expecting a certain type of performance. I would guarantee that a fan of Russell Martin would be able to point out a positive performance, whilst ignoring the less positive aspects of his game.The simple fact is you can watch a player as closely as you like, but the conclusion that you draw will most likely be based on the opinion you had of that player prior to the game anyway.[/quote]Extremely good post.I should imagine, if you wanted to, you could scrutinise Grant Holt for 90 minutes and come away with a negative opinion if you wanted to, commenting on every lost header and mis-placed pass.