Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

Canaries Stung By Hornets And A Man Named Nigel...

Hi all, a little belated but her''s my view on yesterday''s game. Here''s hoping for better next time out. OTBC!!!

SP

CANARIES STUNG BY HORNETS AND A MAN NAMED NIGEL...

Hope and joy were rare during a miserable evening at Carrow Road. You arrive with such optimism, hope and real anticipation and the worst thing is, by the time you leave, it has all but gone. City’s side was swamped by new signings as they looked to arrive back in the Championship with a bang.

Sitting in the Jarrold, there was confidence flowing through my veins. It was a long while since I had felt like this, with Lambert in charge, our new board seemingly making the right decisions, there was no need not to feel confidence, was there? As the Canaries marched out of the tunnel, like soldiers into battle, I felt proud and so pleased to be back. Then, things got underway with a mightily impressive roar!

On the ball City!!

Yet, things didn’t go to plan. After showing early glimmers of their true potential, City found themselves a goal down. The Canaries were too slow to deal with a  short corner, meaning the Hornets had plenty of time to send the ball across. Off their approaching swarm, the ball found John Eustace, taking the ball down neatly on his chest and volleying into the near corner. Personally, I felt new keeper John Ruddy should have saved it. There was barely a space for the ball to find and Ruddy is a big lad, yet, the fact of the matter was we were trailing 0-1.

Like the fantastic fans we are, we got behind our team, roars of encouragement echoed through Carrow Road in spine-tingling fashion…

Referee Nigel Miller was not making himself popular amongst the home fans with some bizarre decisions and the sarcastic cheers when he awarded us a free-kick were proof enough of this. Chris Martins stepped up, though, the ball was blocked by the wall. Rightly re-awarded for encroachment, Andrew Surman stepped up and curled one perfectly around the wall. A few inches further to the left and it was 1-1, yet, Scott Loach got across to make a decent save.

Come on City!!

Carrow Road was silenced a little while later as it seemed opening day déjà vu was beginning to unravel for the Canaries. Simeon Jackson failed to control the ball, it bobbled off his shin, falling kindly for Watford. A long ball forward found Danny Graham who chested it to Sordell, who played a neat ball back to Graham. With the City defence done for pace, Graham was through. His shot was decent, but Ruddy should have got better contact on it with it seeming to go through his hands. The ball flew into the corner, totally silencing a once buoyant City faithful.

Half-time drew in and goodness it was needed! The team-talk was crucial, make or break for Lambert’s side.

Initially, it seemed he’d got it right. City’s best piece of football, truly highlighting their quality was a suitable architect. The ball found Hoolahan who ran across, leaving Hornets defenders for dead, a neat ball found Jackson who backheeled to Crofts, who rammed home into the far corner. It was a terrific finish, a fantastic goal and the belief was well and truly restored.

COME ON CITY!!!

Yet, the Canaries didn’t build on that and Watford grew in possession. The introduction of Grant Holt was greeted like that of a triumphant Coliseum Gladiator. A deserving standing ovation lifted the crowd once more and the Horse trotted out in heroic style. My hope was restored, I felt rejuvenated and ready for this…

Ready for what?!

There was very little from City. A header wide from Holty and a few penalty appeals were all we had, before a shocking refereeing decision cost us a third goal. I was in Row X and I could see we should have been awarded a foul. If a lad just runs into you with no intention of playing the ball, that is ALWAYS a free-kick, isn’t it?

No, not if you’re Nigel Miller.

He waved play-on, Danny Graham picked it up, calmly drifted into the box before planting a shot across Ruddy into the far corner. I may have said something colourful, it was just so frustrating. Number one, we should have had a free-kick! Number two, the defending wasn’t great! And finally, this was the opening day, all the weeks of building up to it, all the anticipation and all the hope had gone.

There was a reply from the Canaries, Crofts ball across was dummied by Super Chrissy, finding its way to Admiral Nelson who hammered home. 2-3. That was it though, the final score. Norwich City 2-3 Watford.

Sure enough, it was a very frustrating evening. But, in times of trouble, it is crucial to take out the positives. The first City goal was superb, the build-up and the finish. That is what we are capable off, we’ve seen it in pre-season and we have seen glimmers of it tonight. Also, it was nowhere near as bad as last season’s debacle! The referee was far from convincing, but, we were not good enough on the night. I have my doubts about Ruddy, I have my doubts about Elliot Ward, but, regardless of that, I’m a Norwich fan. Should they continue to play, should they continue to step out in-front of us week in week out, I’ll be right behind them.

Trawling the supermarket aisles this morning, I’m irritated, it’s frustrating we didn’t get the start we were complacently expecting. But, there are 45 other games to come this season, 45 more chances and I’ll be there every step off the way!

SUPERMARKET MAN OF THE MATCH, ANDREW CROFTS: I thought Crofts ran and ran all night long, chasing and showing a real fight and determination to get his team back in the game. His goal was superb and more of the same will prove him to be a real fans’ favourite.

I find that laying out your piece the way you have made me not want to read it.This is constructive criticism by the way, and not just a dig.[:)]

[quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]

It''s fine morty, any feedback is much appreciated. If you don''t mind me asking, how would it look better? What would appear friendlier to the eye?

Cheers

SP

[/quote]Slightly longer paragraphs, as opposed to the spaced out bullet points I guess.Maybe my hungover eyes are just lazy today, who can say lol.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Nice work.Crofts = Norwich City''s Steven Gerrard.

[/quote]fat and doesnt give a toss at internationals?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]

It''s fine morty, any feedback is much appreciated. If you don''t mind me asking, how would it look better? What would appear friendlier to the eye?

Cheers

SP

[/quote]

Slightly longer paragraphs, as opposed to the spaced out bullet points I guess.

Maybe my hungover eyes are just lazy today, who can say lol.
[/quote]

Haha, I think we''re all feeling rather similar to be honest. Thanks though, I''ll give that a go for the Swansea game.

SP

[quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]

Cheers

SP

[/quote]Slightly longer paragraphs, as opposed to the spaced out bullet points I guess.Maybe my hungover eyes are just lazy today, who can say lol.[/quote]

Haha, I think we''re all feeling rather similar to be honest. Thanks though, I''ll give that a go for the Swansea game.

SP

[/quote]Your written content is good, I don''t think theres any need to mess with it. I think people who do this can be guilty of trying to make it look different by fannying with fonts, spacing and colours etc. But if the content is good enough theres no real need to.[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]

Cheers

SP

[/quote]

Slightly longer paragraphs, as opposed to the spaced out bullet points I guess.

Maybe my hungover eyes are just lazy today, who can say lol.
[/quote]

SP

[/quote]

Your written content is good, I don''t think theres any need to mess with it. I think people who do this can be guilty of trying to make it look different by fannying with fonts, spacing and colours etc. But if the content is good enough theres no real need to.

[Y]
[/quote]

Thanks again. I write them out on Word and copy and paste them, something goes wrong down the line, it doesn''t look like that when I first write them.

Cheers

SP

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Nice work.Crofts = Norwich City''s Steven Gerrard.

[/quote]fat and doesnt give a toss at internationals?[/quote]

(Y) I fooking hate Gerrard.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Nice work.Crofts = Norwich City''s Steven Gerrard.

[/quote]fat and doesnt give a toss at internationals?[/quote]Gerrard is fat?