Sign in to follow this  
urdie_Canary

Nelson and R.Martin

Fisrtly, i dont think either of these players were good last season, especially russel martin, who i think is the worst right back we''ve had at the club.The first goal Nelson is way to sluggish, the 3rd goal russel martin got sucked in, lack of consentration and out of position completly. Also neither of these two are ''footballers'', there distrobution is awful and there vision is blinkered.I personally feel that Ward, (who is a good Championship defender as proven in the passed) just needs gamesIn a nut shell, i think Russel Martin should be shot, and Nelson dropped as they''re both out of their depth.What do you think ?

WHAT?Russel Martin has improved greatly, one little mistake and he should get shot? you know nothing about Football, and obviously watched very little of the game last night

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Fisrtly, i dont think either of these players were good last season, especially russel martin, who i think is the worst right back we''ve had at the club.The first goal Nelson is way to sluggish, the 3rd goal russel martin got sucked in, lack of consentration and out of position completly. Also neither of these two are ''footballers'', there distrobution is awful and there vision is blinkered.I personally feel that Ward, (who is a good Championship defender as proven in the passed) just needs gamesIn a nut shell, i think Russel Martin should be shot, and Nelson dropped as they''re both out of their depth.What do you think ?[/quote]Athough I think Nelson was good last season I always have felt that the Championship may be a step to far for him, I have never thought Martin was up to much even in league 1 and even though it''s a bit harsh to suggest he should be shot lol I certainly feel uncomfortable about him being our regular right back this season.

Russell Martin to me looked exposed last night , whether his positioning is at fault or not ,I think he missed Korey who last season constantly covered him as much as Lappin with Drury on he left.

I''ve been really impressed with R. Martin so far in the pre-seasons and last night. Yes he made some mistakes but he is much improved on last season.

Worst RB? Have you forgotten Mr Sky + himself Jon Otsemobor?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]WHAT?Russel Martin has improved greatly, one little mistake and he should get shot? you know nothing about Football, and obviously watched very little of the game last night[/quote]For you to say i know nothing about football is a pretty weak comment IMOIts my opinionHes weak and out of his depth.

R.Martin didn''t look too bad to me, didn''t set the world on fire but then neither did Drury. But with our formation the full backs are incredibly important and I think we need to have some of our best players there and neither Martin or Drury are that to be honest.

Hopefully S.Smith will get fit and fulfill his potential from before his injuries but are right back... Maybe we should try to turn K.Smith into a right back, if he can perform there I think he''d add a lot more to the team than playing in midfield, but whether he can do it I don''t know.

Martin made the tackle of the night at 0-0 when had had the vision to cover across to Drury''s position and won the ball. If he hadn''t, Watford had a man completely clear. In the first half he was constantly available as the outlet ball in acres on the right, but was constantly ignored by Wes, who had to do his usual 15 turns before laying it off. He got no support from Nelson inside, but, hey, he''s a convenient scapegoat, so let''s put the boot in. Worse right back ever? Have you actually watched football before?

[quote user="urdie_Canary"][quote user="Gingerpele"]WHAT?Russel Martin has improved greatly, one little mistake and he should get shot? you know nothing about Football, and obviously watched very little of the game last night[/quote]For you to say i know nothing about football is a pretty weak comment IMOIts my opinionHes weak and out of his depth.[/quote]I think thats a weak comment, because as pointed out, he was over exposed, although Crofts does far far too much running, he didn''t cover as much as the Right back position as much as Korey Smith did last season...AND ITS THE FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON he has another 45....there is a reason why Lambert hasn''t got a new Right Back in, with players like Finnan and Roisenier being free agents....

R. Martin is underrated, Nelson wasn''t great but Elliott Ward(Or should that be Fraud? :P) was far worse on the night. R.Martin had a good first half and was easily the best of a bad back 5.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Martin made the tackle of the night at 0-0 when had had the vision to cover across to Drury''s position and won the ball. If he hadn''t, Watford had a man completely clear. In the first half he was constantly available as the outlet ball in acres on the right, but was constantly ignored by Wes, who had to do his usual 15 turns before laying it off. He got no support from Nelson inside, but, hey, he''s a convenient scapegoat, so let''s put the boot in. Worse right back ever? Have you actually watched football before?[/quote]Oh right, just focus on the positive contribution.Cup half full people like you make me sick.[;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]Martin made the tackle of the night at 0-0 when had had the vision to cover across to Drury''s position and won the ball. If he hadn''t, Watford had a man completely clear. In the first half he was constantly available as the outlet ball in acres on the right, but was constantly ignored by Wes, who had to do his usual 15 turns before laying it off. He got no support from Nelson inside, but, hey, he''s a convenient scapegoat, so let''s put the boot in. Worse right back ever? Have you actually watched football before?[/quote]

Finally found someone who was watching the same game as me. Thank you Beau for a moment I was questioning my sanity.

I asked this question in the R Martin thread but had little response. What did Martin do so wrong yesterday that warrants the amount of abuse he''s received last night/today?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Beauseant"]Martin made the tackle of the night at 0-0 when had had the vision to cover across to Drury''s position and won the ball. If he hadn''t, Watford had a man completely clear. In the first half he was constantly available as the outlet ball in acres on the right, but was constantly ignored by Wes, who had to do his usual 15 turns before laying it off. He got no support from Nelson inside, but, hey, he''s a convenient scapegoat, so let''s put the boot in. Worse right back ever? Have you actually watched football before?[/quote]

Oh right, just focus on the positive contribution.

Cup half full people like you make me sick.

[;)]
[/quote]

[:D]

Sorry, what was I thinking? It''s relegation all the way for us with only 45 games left to save ourselves![;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"]Martin made the tackle of the night at 0-0 when had had the vision to cover across to Drury''s position and won the ball. If he hadn''t, Watford had a man completely clear. In the first half he was constantly available as the outlet ball in acres on the right, but was constantly ignored by Wes, who had to do his usual 15 turns before laying it off. He got no support from Nelson inside, but, hey, he''s a convenient scapegoat, so let''s put the boot in. Worse right back ever? Have you actually watched football before?[/quote]exactly. Not sure what some people were watching last night, i thought Martin was one of the better players (which admittedly isnt saying much) but he was often covering for the CBs as he did last season, he got foward well and was always an outlet on the right and his crossing has improved from last season too it seemed.Worse than Semmy? Seriously?

Fascinating Beau, that''s exactly the impression I formed last night, but so many people keep slagging him off that I thought I must have missed something on my s-s-stuttering s-stream. He looked a much more confident player than the one I saw at Stevenage. Last night his crossing was a bit weak , but the rest of his game looked accomplished to me.A couple of other observations: I think there''s a better player in Nelson struggling to get out, he surprised me with how assured he looks & how smoothly he moves. His goal scoring ability shows how accurately he can strike a ball, if Lambert can get him to translate that into passing out of defence he''d be a classy defender at Champs level. Hoolahan is just so good. As others have commented, the rest of the team aren''t quick thinking enough to keep up with him & take up the right positions; I think that''s the major reason why he overplays it - waiting to find someone he can give that defence splitting pass to. He needs to accept they aren''t up to it a lot of the time & give a simpler, earlier ball & be part of a more patient build up. THEN provide that killer ball.

If anyone was pants last night it was Hoolahan IMO. I''m a little nervous about Ruddy at the moment too, but I''m sure he''ll come good once he settles in. To be fair, Watford played to their strength, they countered better than any team i''ve seen for quite some time, and really made the most of their youthful fearless pacey players. I do think that Watford will still struggle, once that first defeat happens and young heads drop, but was very impressed with them last night. And as the commentator said, it''s an improvement over last seasons start I guess lol.

Perhaps I''m losing the plot as well as I also thought Martin had a good game last night, apart from a couple of misplaced passes in the last ten minutes.

But that must have been the point! It''s much easier to remember the last ten minutes than the first eighty! That must be why some people thought he had a bad game.

Sickened by the third goal and the way an experienced central defender can stand off a striker about to shoot and then turn his back on the shot!

Martin is still only 23 and will get better with experience. We have had poor right backs since Edworthy but he is probably the best since him. Nelson was exposed due to wards poor levels of fitness and lack of games. Both will get a lot better especially as they play togethet as a unit

I think it''s a little unfair to lay all the blame for what turned out to be their winner at Ward''s door. Yes, he showed him inside and turned his back on it whilst covering Nelson and Martin''s side of the park, but he wasn''t the one who didn''t play to the whistle in the middle of the park, or the one who went for the same ball as his team mate causing him to slice it horribly, or the said one who sliced it horribly without giving a shout to make the ball his. It was pretty shocking all round and I''m sure we''ll learn from it.

[quote user="Menzies Campbell"]Russell Martin was comfortably our worst player last night and looked out of his depth even last season. I love lambert to bits, but I don''t get it with this bloke.[/quote]

What did he do wrong all night?

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Fisrtly, i dont think either of these players were good last season, especially russel martin, who i think is the worst right back we''ve had at the club.

The first goal Nelson is way to sluggish, the 3rd goal russel martin got sucked in, lack of consentration and out of position completly.
Also neither of these two are ''footballers'', there distrobution is awful and there vision is blinkered.

I personally feel that Ward, (who is a good Championship defender as proven in the passed) just needs games

In a nut shell, i think Russel Martin should be shot, and Nelson dropped as they''re both out of their depth.

What do you think ?
[/quote]]

Your talking s hite!

The slating that Russell Martins had from some ignorants is bewildering to say the least. While I admit hes not great hes done a more than adequate job for us being far more consistant than Otsemobor was and Spillane took too long to get over an injury last season. Last night against Watford he done OK but like the rest of the team was hampered by 2 rubbish CB''s and a tame forward line until Holt came on.

Nelson was great last season and his work ethic is second to none which for me puts him above pantoimme horse Ward, but unless he improves Nelson will struggle in the Championship!

The ball was switched to him countless times, he was often in acres of space and because of the congestion in the middle of the park, he was used as an outlet on the right wing. Every single time he got the ball in this position, he put his head down, ran down he line, stopped and either lost the ball or passed it backwards. He was clumsy, didn''t maintain possesion and can''t place a pass. I''m not saying it was his fault in any way, just that I personally don''t like him. Also... Michael Spillane.

I honestly believe you need to watch a video of the game and then make a public apology to Russell Martin.

What rubbish!

This happened a couple of times in the last ten minutes ...... but there were eighty minutes before that!

Personally, i felt that Martin was actually making some good runs up the right flank, but unfortunately when he got the ball he passed it straight to the opposition most of the time (although i do remember a few good crosses from him). Michael Nelson was infuriating because he kept on hoofing the ball when there was no Watford player within 30 yards of him. I mean come on, even the Doc could string at least two passes together in a game!But to be fair, no-one really covered themselves in glory last night. Oh well, things can only get better... in theory [;)]

I must have missed something. Is it the done thing around here to lay into R.Martin? He''s always looked alright to me. Looked good compared to the CB''s last night!

[quote user="ron obvious"]
Fascinating Beau, that''s exactly the impression I formed last night, but so many people keep slagging him off that I thought I must have missed something on my s-s-stuttering s-stream. He looked a much more confident player than the one I saw at Stevenage. Last night his crossing was a bit weak , but the rest of his game looked accomplished to me.
A couple of other observations: I think there''s a better player in Nelson struggling to get out, he surprised me with how assured he looks & how smoothly he moves. His goal scoring ability shows how accurately he can strike a ball, if Lambert can get him to translate that into passing out of defence he''d be a classy defender at Champs level. Hoolahan is just so good. As others have commented, the rest of the team aren''t quick thinking enough to keep up with him & take up the right positions; I think that''s the major reason why he overplays it - waiting to find someone he can give that defence splitting pass to. He needs to accept they aren''t up to it a lot of the time & give a simpler, earlier ball & be part of a more patient build up. THEN provide that killer ball.

[/quote]

Bloody hell Ron! That was actually very well said.  Personally I think Lambo has introduced too many of the new boys in one go, and, at the moment none of them seem to be on Wes''s wavelength, least of all Jackson. (Did Jamie lad leave his banjo in the dressing room?)  Ward needs a good kick up the backside, as does Fox and Mister Ruddy Hasn''t exactly inspired confidence so far.  Only Crofts seems to have stepped up to the plate and although Surman looks very good he really should be playing a bigger part.  He seems to drift in an out of the game far to much for my liking.  Still, with a fit Holt and Korey back, anf of course Forster missing us so much he demands a move back................

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Fisrtly, i dont think either of these players were good last season, especially russel martin, who i think is the worst right back we''ve had at the club.

The first goal Nelson is way to sluggish, the 3rd goal russel martin got sucked in, lack of consentration and out of position completly.
Also neither of these two are ''footballers'', there distrobution is awful and there vision is blinkered.

I personally feel that Ward, (who is a good Championship defender as proven in the passed) just needs games

In a nut shell, i think Russel Martin should be shot, and Nelson dropped as they''re both out of their depth.

What do you think ?
[/quote]

Martin "the worst right back we''ve had at the club".

Maybe you are too young to remember a certain Mr.Diop.

What do you think ?
[/quote]

Martin "the worst right back we''ve had at the club".

Maybe you are too young to remember a certain Mr.Diop.