Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

The key to a shinny diamond

I like the diamond formation but last seaon our gung ho tactics worked against pub like opposition. This season the only way its going to work is to play two quality full backs who can provide the width and be fit and fast enough to nearly be in two places at once. Our current full backs ( Martin & Drury ) are simply no where near good enough to perform the role needed in a diamond formation.

In a standard 4 4 2 i dont have much of a problem with them but they will be badly exposed in this formation and we will leak alot of goals against good counter attacking opposition.

So to conclude i feel that unless we can get these type of full backs to the club then Mr Lambert needs to consider reverting back to a more traditional 4-4-2 to accomodate the standard of player we currently have.

It is a problem with the diamond, especially since our midfield is rather lightweight and of an attacking attitude.

The problem in the end is that our most creative player, Hooly, is unreliable in defensive duties, and will be playing forward, leaving a narrow three man midfield further back.

So 4-4-2 is not without problems, and it may be that we have to play 4--4-1-1, with Hooly behind the single striker, and messrs Surman and Crofts required to get forward quickly in support. I think that this latter formation may be used away from home, with personnel from the bench should it be necessary to be less defensive.

[quote user="Salopian"]It is a problem with the diamond, especially since our midfield is rather lightweight and of an attacking attitude.

The problem in the end is that our most creative player, Hooly, is unreliable in defensive duties, and will be playing forward, leaving a narrow three man midfield further back.

So 4-4-2 is not without problems, and it may be that we have to play 4--4-1-1, with Hooly behind the single striker, and messrs Surman and Crofts required to get forward quickly in support. I think that this latter formation may be used away from home, with personnel from the bench should it be necessary to be less defensive.[/quote]

I completely agree about the 4-4-1-1 formation. Drop one of the strikers and bring Korey into the midfield.

I agree about needing quality wing backs with the diamond; I wonder if Korey could be the man for RB? I think he''s got all the necessary attributes. Mind you, you could play him just about anywhere!

[quote user="morty"]You had no trouble spelling "Dyslexia" though.

[;)]
[/quote]

I didn''t know spell checkers suffered from it.It''s all Gill Bates fault

[quote user="ron obvious"]I agree about needing quality wing backs with the diamond; I wonder if Korey could be the man for RB? I think he''s got all the necessary attributes. Mind you, you could play him just about anywhere!

[/quote]

Didnt he start out as a right back? He certainly has potential for this role.

I also wonder if Lambert sees Korey switching to RB, which he hasn''t brought in another RB. He certainly has the attributes to tackle fiercely as well as playing the ''wing-back'' role.

There might well be some experimentation against the Gills with both Croft and Jackson not available. Be interesting to see.

I think the biggest problem with the diamond on friday night was we had no one breaking up the play at the base, looked to me like we missed Russell

With that and missing the Doc i''m starting to think that Lamberts personal issues with players is starting to be a problem

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]shinny? FFS...[/quote]

yeah you know just below your knee! its called dyslexia ffs[/quote]There must be something in the water around these parts. Seems to be a lot of folks who claim to have Dyslexia...........[^o)]

The point on the full backs is spot on. I lost count how many times Russell Martin failed to complete a pass in the Watford half and then got caught out being to far up the pitch.

More basic if you play a diamond you NEED a ball winner/ physical pressence at the base of it!!

[quote user="The Gunnpowder plot"]

The point on the full backs is spot on. I lost count how many times Russell Martin failed to complete a pass in the Watford half and then got caught out being to far up the pitch.

More basic if you play a diamond you NEED a ball winner/ physical pressence at the base of it!!

[/quote]

A John  Eustace maybe? Thought he was excellent

Supermodel (and QPR fan) Naomi Campbell....

Might she just hold the key to a shiny diamond.....or two?

It''s off topic.....but certainly topical.