Sign in to follow this  
rieg77

Lets give it a few weeks before we write them off, eh?

Ok, so I''ve spent all weekend thinking about this, and I''ve read a lot of the posts on this forum since Friday nights match, but I''m confused by all the negativity.

Already, off the back of one match where we did not play our best and yet still looked good going forward in spells and only narrowly lost, people are already talking about us as relegation fodder. For gods sake, get a grip!!

The way I see it, most of the mistakes that were made were due to a lack of familiarity between players. For example, Hoolahan''s through balls were not coming off because Jackson and he were not on the same wavelength.

Less excusable is our two centrebacks basically leaving it to each other to clear a ball, which led to the third goal, but even that you could say was indicative of two players who haven''t played together before.

We had six new players in the team and thats bound to have an impact on our performance. I firmly believe that in six matches time things will be very different.

I thought Crofts, Fox and Surman played well and look good for the future, as did Jackson. The one that worries me most is Ward, but I''m sure he will be fine.

And lets not forget we''ve just been promoted and are playing at a higher level than last season - you can''t just expect to turn up have it easy, especially not in this division. It took us 8 seasons to get promoted out of this division before, so lets not all get so negative after one match (anyone remember Colchester last season).

We were playing a very young, confident, energetic Watford side who played without fear. To me they look like one of those sides that will do well until they lose, and then the bubble will burst and they''ll free fall.

Not to mention they scored 2 deflected goals . You have to be disappointed with they way they carved us open for the second though, but that was an individuals defensive error, not team-wide ineptitude.

Last but not least we were on telly, at home, for the first game of the season - of course we were going to lose!! (Just kidding)

I sincerely believe we will do well in this division. We probably won''t get promoted, and we probably don''t want to at the first time of asking - that would be a challenge too far. However, I believe we will be in the top half, and thats pretty good for a promoted team.

As for the boo-boys at the game, you are a disgrace. Please tell me what exactly you were expecting. Have we suddenly become Chelsea, just because we won league one?

Of course I might be wrong, and I''m sure you''ll tell me if I am.

Having 6 new players is definitely a factor in the disappointing start - look at Middlesbrough (also 6 new players) and Leeds (5 new players I think?), both of them also lost unexpectedly at home.

Stop talking so much sense!

We have the worst RB in the history of football ever, Chris Martin is too lazy, Doc would have scored a hat-trick including an over head kick from our penalty box, Forster would have saved everything and if only we had bought Dean Windass all those years ago...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

We have the worst RB in the history of football ever, Chris Martin is too lazy, Doc would have scored a hat-trick including an over head kick from our penalty box, Forster would have saved everything and if only we had bought Dean Windass all those years ago...

[/quote]I blame Delia, New Labour and immigration.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

I blame Delia, New Labour and immigration.
[/quote]

as well as the Euro, Facebook and hoodies

[quote user="rieg77"]Ok, so I''ve spent all weekend thinking about this, and I''ve read a lot of the posts on this forum since Friday nights match, but I''m confused by all the negativity. Already, off the back of one match where we did not play our best and yet still looked good going forward in spells and only narrowly lost, people are already talking about us as relegation fodder. For gods sake, get a grip!! The way I see it, most of the mistakes that were made were due to a lack of familiarity between players. For example, Hoolahan''s through balls were not coming off because Jackson and he were not on the same wavelength. Less excusable is our two centrebacks basically leaving it to each other to clear a ball, which led to the third goal, but even that you could say was indicative of two players who haven''t played together before. We had six new players in the team and thats bound to have an impact on our performance. I firmly believe that in six matches time things will be very different. I thought Crofts, Fox and Surman played well and look good for the future, as did Jackson. The one that worries me most is Ward, but I''m sure he will be fine. And lets not forget we''ve just been promoted and are playing at a higher level than last season - you can''t just expect to turn up have it easy, especially not in this division. It took us 8 seasons to get promoted out of this division before, so lets not all get so negative after one match (anyone remember Colchester last season). We were playing a very young, confident, energetic Watford side who played without fear. To me they look like one of those sides that will do well until they lose, and then the bubble will burst and they''ll free fall. Not to mention they scored 2 deflected goals . You have to be disappointed with they way they carved us open for the second though, but that was an individuals defensive error, not team-wide ineptitude. Last but not least we were on telly, at home, for the first game of the season - of course we were going to lose!! (Just kidding) I sincerely believe we will do well in this division. We probably won''t get promoted, and we probably don''t want to at the first time of asking - that would be a challenge too far. However, I believe we will be in the top half, and thats pretty good for a promoted team. As for the boo-boys at the game, you are a disgrace. Please tell me what exactly you were expecting. Have we suddenly become Chelsea, just because we won league one? Of course I might be wrong, and I''m sure you''ll tell me if I am.[/quote]

Oi! stop talking sense on here, its not allowed.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]I blame Delia, New Labour and immigration.[/quote]

as well as the Euro, Facebook and hoodies

[/quote]And why shouldn''t I be able to wear my England shirt in pubs? It''s political correctness gone mad.

[quote user="rieg77"]Ok, so I''ve spent all weekend thinking about this, and I''ve read a lot of the posts on this forum since Friday nights match, but I''m confused by all the negativity. Already, off the back of one match where we did not play our best and yet still looked good going forward in spells and only narrowly lost, people are already talking about us as relegation fodder. For gods sake, get a grip!! The way I see it, most of the mistakes that were made were due to a lack of familiarity between players. For example, Hoolahan''s through balls were not coming off because Jackson and he were not on the same wavelength. Less excusable is our two centrebacks basically leaving it to each other to clear a ball, which led to the third goal, but even that you could say was indicative of two players who haven''t played together before. We had six new players in the team and thats bound to have an impact on our performance. I firmly believe that in six matches time things will be very different. I thought Crofts, Fox and Surman played well and look good for the future, as did Jackson. The one that worries me most is Ward, but I''m sure he will be fine. And lets not forget we''ve just been promoted and are playing at a higher level than last season - you can''t just expect to turn up have it easy, especially not in this division. It took us 8 seasons to get promoted out of this division before, so lets not all get so negative after one match (anyone remember Colchester last season). We were playing a very young, confident, energetic Watford side who played without fear. To me they look like one of those sides that will do well until they lose, and then the bubble will burst and they''ll free fall. Not to mention they scored 2 deflected goals . You have to be disappointed with they way they carved us open for the second though, but that was an individuals defensive error, not team-wide ineptitude. Last but not least we were on telly, at home, for the first game of the season - of course we were going to lose!! (Just kidding) I sincerely believe we will do well in this division. We probably won''t get promoted, and we probably don''t want to at the first time of asking - that would be a challenge too far. However, I believe we will be in the top half, and thats pretty good for a promoted team. As for the boo-boys at the game, you are a disgrace. Please tell me what exactly you were expecting. Have we suddenly become Chelsea, just because we won league one? Of course I might be wrong, and I''m sure you''ll tell me if I am.[/quote]

I agree with almost all of that aprt from the Jackson not being on the same wavelength as Hoolahan bit.  Jackson was consistently getting in between the two centre backs and playing of the shoulder and there was numerous times someone could have played a ball throught to him.  The only player trying to do this was Chris Martin but, when he did it he was playing it from the wing which was extremely hard and he ended up over hitting it.  The one player who had the oppurtunity to play Jackson through the most was Hoolahan.  Wes consistently got into good positions to play a ball through to Jackson who was also in a good position waiting for the ball to be played through.  If Hoolahan wasn''t so selfish, or so one footed or learn''t that taking on one player and passing it straight away is good thing, then Jackson would have been played through one on one plenty of times friday night.

This was down to Hoolahan being Hoolohan and not Jackson being on a different wavelength to him.

Apart from that, good post.  And everyone needs to give Ward a chance.  If he was that bad every game then he wouldn''t have been in the Championship for so long, he will get better. 

Agree Boyo, Hoolahan is our best and worst player, technical ability to win games alone, selfish style of play can sometimes cost us.

As for Ward and the argument people have been using that his loanee clubs haven''t signed him, he''s not been 100% fit for a while now. When he is match fit and capable of playing 90 minutes consistently there''s a reason he''s been an established Championship defender, because he''s good at this level! Give him time :)