Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Crofts

Last night was one good game from him, and he played well in the 2nd half, but why do people seem to think he was amazing? Maybe becasue he scored?

I thought that Fox played better than crofts last night. and will be the player who will be our unsung hero like rusty last year. He did alot of covering for the cb''s who looked unsure at time and fox was able to give them time to get back into position.

p.s. anyone think crofts looked like hughes did, running style general look a like etc..?

I didn''t think the midfield were that bad, but maybe could have been more creative. Any hard working midfielder is always going to compared with Hughes for some reason.

If anyone remembers, I made a thread the other night saying he would score last night! [;)]

Hughes just looked like crofts in the way he ran etc.

The only problem the midfield have is they will be out battled i think, especially without kroey smith .

Because Crofts scored, setup Nelson''s goal, won the ball back in midfield with at least 5 tackles and looked like he wanted it more than anyone else on the field. So what did Fox do? Did he score? Did he get an assist? Did he break up play more than any other player?

I''m not saying Fox is rubbish, but to question what Crofts did well seems a bit strange to me when it was plain for everyone to see where i was sat.

Yet again you are showing how little you know about football Nana.  Fox was woeful - a defensive midfielder at the base at of the diamond who could not win a tackle against a 12 year old.  His performance in that position was one of the worst I have seen here since our relegation season.

[quote user="Smudger"]Yet again you are showing how little you know about football Nana.  Fox was woeful - a defensive midfielder at the base at of the diamond who could not win a tackle against a 12 year old.  His performance in that position was one of the worst I have seen here since our relegation season.
[/quote]

But the amount of covering that he did for ward and nelson was crazy. Fox isn''t the tackling player like rusty, he prefers to pick a pass and I think he is more of a player looking to take the ball from the defenders and start up an attack and not break up the play.

"But the amount of covering that he did for ward and nelson was crazy. Fox isn''t the tackling player like rusty, he prefers to pick a pass and I think he is more of a player looking to take the ball from the defenders and start up an attack and not break up the play."

Agree,  if we had competent defenders, Fox would have been able to do his job..take the ball from the defenders and picking out some good passes and spreading play, but he barely had a chance to do that as the defenders just booted the ball up field bypassing our midfield

[quote user="canary_girl"]

"But the amount of covering that he did for ward and nelson was crazy. Fox isn''t the tackling player like rusty, he prefers to pick a pass and I think he is more of a player looking to take the ball from the defenders and start up an attack and not break up the play."

Agree,  if we had competent defenders, Fox would have been able to do his job..take the ball from the defenders and picking out some good passes and spreading play, but he barely had a chance to do that as the defenders just booted the ball up field bypassing our midfield

[/quote]

Lambert has got to sort out the defence though if he is going to get the best out of Fox.

The midfield was the best part of our team on Friday - I can see much joy coming from these 4 should we defend better. Crofts played very well - he showed determination, skills and strength. People are saying we looked lightweight, yet I saw Fox and Crofts flying into tackles all night. I wouldnt say Lapps, Russell and Korey are any stronger or tougher than Fox, Crofts and Surman.

[quote user="Largey"]The midfield was the best part of our team on Friday - I can see much joy coming from these 4 should we defend better. Crofts played very well - he showed determination, skills and strength. People are saying we looked lightweight, yet I saw Fox and Crofts flying into tackles all night. I wouldnt say Lapps, Russell and Korey are any stronger or tougher than Fox, Crofts and Surman.[/quote]

I think smith and rusty are stronger in midfield compared to our new lot. I also think they would get stuck in more often than the newbies.

[quote user="Brendo "]Swap Crofts and Fox around - bing. [I] [:)][/quote]

c''mon brendo own up, where did you find this idea from [:P]

I suppose this could work. It would certainly give the defence a slightly tougher barrier and wither surman and fox both able to pick a pass and hooly to do what we know he can...Brendo i think your a genius [y]!!

"Swap Crofts and Fox around - bing."

I''m not so sure..Crofts is so effective on the right getting forward and attacking, it would be a shame to now make him sit back and defend when he has so much energy going forward. If anything was to change in that position I''d rather Smith be there

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

I suppose this could work. It would certainly give the defence a slightly tougher barrier and wither surman and fox both able to pick a pass and hooly to do what we know he can...Brendo i think your a genius [y]!!

[/quote]If you have a lookey here!!! 

I suggested it like 2 days ago. But yeah, I really think this is the option!

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]If you have a lookey here!!! 

I suggested it like 2 days ago. But yeah, I really think this is the option![/quote]

Watch out Lambert, Brendo is after your tracksuit [y]

[quote user="canary_girl"]

"Swap Crofts and Fox around - bing."

I''m not so sure..Crofts is so effective on the right getting forward and attacking, it would be a shame to now make him sit back and defend when he has so much energy going forward. If anything was to change in that position I''d rather Smith be there

[/quote]I do agree actually. [Y] But it would be a shame to drop Fox, as he is such a great passer of the ball. [:(]

Sometimes I just think without Hoolahan we would have alot more balance, and maybe could do better. Fox and Surman for me, can''t be used to their full potential with Wes in. [:(]

Heck, I don''t know what to think anymore! [:''(]

"I do agree actually. Yes [Y] But it would be a shame to drop Fox, as he is such a great passer of the ball. Sad [:(]

Sometimes I just think without Hoolahan we would have alot more balance, and maybe could do better. Fox and Surman for me, can''t be used to their full potential with Wes in. Sad [:(]

Heck, I don''t know what to think anymore! Crying [:''(]"

Lol. Yeah I don''t want Fox to be dropped either. I''m sure when we see better performances from the defenders themselves, we won''t need to question Fox in that position, because he is very calm on the ball, starts attacks, and spreads the play well. Maybe if we were away from home trying to defend a lead, I think thats the time to bring on someone like Smith

Oh dear...I''m sorry ''Nana, but Smudger is 100% correct. (Shock horror? [;)])You claim he covered for the centre backs alot, but in the same sentence agreed about his lack of tackling.I''m sorry, but whats the point in acting as a cover for the defence if you don''t put in a few decent tackles? Headless chicken syndrome! Of course Fox could yet come good but he has to be alot more physical in that position. Crofts played a more attacking game yet still offered a better barrier for the defence than Ward did.

Nonsense.  Crofts is more effective breaking up and linking up play higher up the pitch.  Fox is not there to crunch people he is there to create from the back, which he will once the defence is MATCH FIT.

I think lambert expects the defence to cope and just lay the ball offf to fox, rather than fox doing sone of the work rsuty dd withr the tackling!

Hmmmm. I find it highly annoying that people are saying "Don''t hail Crofts for doing well in ONE match", but yet they''re quite happy to say that Ruddy is terrible for having ONE bad match.

The mind boggles

[quote user="I am a Banana"]I think lambert expects the defence to cope and just lay the ball offf to fox, rather than fox doing sone of the work rsuty dd withr the tackling![/quote]I think you are talking out of your backside again Nana.I really can''t see that a European Cup winning midfielder (who knew how to put the boot in and break up play a bit himself), would expect a midfielder who is playing at the base of the diamond not win his fare share of tackles!Unless Fox starts to prove me and others wrong by winning those tackles then Lambert must drop him or we are going to struggle this season... it''s as simple as that for me!