Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Hoolahan

why do so many people think he was great last night/ thought he was average and especially very greedy!! He needs to pass more instead of trying to beat the whole team on his own. he frequently got away with being greedy last season but this season he certainly won''t!! no doubt I will be called all the names under the sun for having this opinion but i am just saying how I felt about him last night, yes he is a great player for us but at this level he may be too much of a luxury as he is the key to this diamond. i hope I turn out to be wrong but I think the diamond wont work at this level.

Thought Wes had a pretty decent game. Despite Watford trying to put the shackles on him, he constantly wriggled free. The final ball was lacking last night, as was his reluctance to shoot.

While I agree that Im not sure the diamond is the best idea at this level, I disagree with Hoolahan. I thought he was quite similar to usual, he gave the ball away too much, but he also looked the only person to take on and indeed beat defenders. Huckerby frequently lost the ball, but we accepted it as sooner or later he would beat the man and put in the killer ball. I think we just looked poor overall.

Gave the ball away alot and like the rest of the team will need to up his game at this level.

Did you not watch the game? There was know one to pass to......the man on the ball never had decent support........

And what the hell is all this about the dimond not working? if you have the right players, and formation (well any reasonable formation) can work at any level

He gets the ball, he keeps the ball, he looks for the pass. If no-one wants it he lose the ball simple.

Wes had a 50-50 game last night. Gave the ball away far too often and kept running into trouble instead of into the space. The only time all night that he chose the right direction resulted in croft''s goal!! He''ll need to work on his awareness.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Did you not watch the game? There was know one to pass to......the man on the ball never had decent support........[/quote]

agree, hoolahan is a very good player and I think him holt and martin will be fine, but jackson just didn''t seem to know where to run as hoolahan was playing in brill through balls but jackson was running in the opposite direction as he is not celever enough YET!

Gingerpele I was there!! And he gave the ball away by trying to take on too many players, I agree sometimes he didnt have decent support BUT sometimes he DID and just didnt look what was around!!

[quote user="CDMullins"]More of a liabitilty than an asset, said so all last season too.[/quote]Saying so more than once doesn''t make it any less retarded. How on earth was he more of a liability than an asset last season? He was the best player in the league.

[quote user="CDMullins"]More of a liabitilty than an asset, said so all last season too.[/quote]

Shows what you know about football then - i.e. not a lot.

The boy was voted by his fellow professionals in Div. One into the team of the season. Argument over I''d say.   

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="CDMullins"]More of a liabitilty than an asset, said so all last season too.[/quote]

The boy was voted by his fellow professionals in Div. One into the team of the season. Argument over I''d say.   

[/quote]

Honestly, I dont how you can rate him him. Its time to be realistic, this is his 3rd season for us,

Would he really be playing for us if he were ''that'' good?

Would he really be kept out of the Republic of Ireland squad by Keith Andrews, Keith Fahey, Paul Green, Keith Tracey if he were ''that'' good?

For his one piece of magic, he''ll give the ball away a dozen times, we might have got away with that in League One, we wont in the Championship.

Boasting about having a player voted player of the season in the third tier of English football....................Jeez I thought we wanted more than that.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Republic of Ireland squad by Keith Andrews, Keith Fahey, Paul Green, Keith Tracey if he were ''that'' good?[/quote]You mean this question? Trappatoni won''t pick anyone from the third tier, wait till the end of this year then ask again

[quote user="CDMullins"]I love how, when I ask that question, no one ever replies.[/quote]When people don''t get replied to on an internet forum it can be one of a few things :-1. You''re completely right and they have no reply to your point.2. People just think you''re a bit of a knob and can''t be bothered with you.

Bit personal Morty, im not sure me not wearing rose-tinted Wes Hoolahan glasses, makes me a knob!

Must be number 1.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Bit personal Morty, im not sure me not wearing rose-tinted Wes Hoolahan glasses, makes me a knob!

Must be number 1.[/quote]It was a generic fact, but as long as you know which category you fall into then its all good.[Y]

[quote user="baldyboy"]why do so many people think he was great last night/ thought he was average and especially very greedy!! He needs to pass more instead of trying to beat the whole team on his own. he frequently got away with being greedy last season but this season he certainly won''t!! no doubt I will be called all the names under the sun for having this opinion but i am just saying how I felt about him last night, yes he is a great player for us but at this level he may be too much of a luxury as he is the key to this diamond. i hope I turn out to be wrong but I think the diamond wont work at this level.
[/quote]

He''s not greedy. He''s not a luxury either.

He loves being on the ball, he always wants the ball (like any good player) and he is always trying to work something for his colleagues.

On Friday night Watford knew they had to close him down quick and that''s what they did. We used to see that with Hucks - teams doubling up on him because they knew he was the danger man who could hurt them. However, while Hoolahan tried his best to come up with something, we needed someone else (probably Surman in particular) to start doing a bit more as well to give Watford something else to think about but that never really happened.

If you get Wes some space then he will do some damage but if nobody else is offering anything then sides like Watford can comfortably concentrate on closing him down. And therefore shutting us down as a team.

Wes really is a ''love him or hate him'' player, and to be fair i can understand both points of view. Where one person sees Wes making space for himself, receiving the ball and attempting a creative through ball that doesn''t quite pay off, others see a greedy player who wastes possession instead of playing the simple pass. I get it.Personally i love him. He makes the game exciting in a huckerby-esque kind of way (except to a lesser extend, of course). The problem was on friday that whenever he got the ball and ran at the defence he had about 5 or 6 Watford players infront of him and only 1 or 2 Norwich players. There was only a very small chance that even with some kind of movement from the forwards or supporting midfielders (which there wasn''t), he was going to play an effective through ball.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote] Honestly, I dont how you can rate him him. Its time to be realistic, this is his 3rd season for us, Would he really be playing for us if he were ''that'' good? Would he really be kept out of the Republic of Ireland squad by Keith Andrews, Keith Fahey, Paul Green, Keith Tracey if he were ''that'' good? For his one piece of magic, he''ll give the ball away a dozen times, we might have got away with that in League One, we wont in the Championship. Boasting about having a player voted player of the season in the third tier of English football....................Jeez I thought we wanted more than that.[/quote]

Trapp''O''Toni said he wouldn''t consider any player not playing at a minimum of Championship level, so let''s see how he gets on this season.

[/quote] Honestly, I dont how you can rate him him. Its time to be realistic, this is his 3rd season for us, Would he really be playing for us if he were ''that'' good? Would he really be kept out of the Republic of Ireland squad by Keith Andrews, Keith Fahey, Paul Green, Keith Tracey if he were ''that'' good? For his one piece of magic, he''ll give the ball away a dozen times, we might have got away with that in League One, we wont in the Championship. Boasting about having a player voted player of the season in the third tier of English football....................Jeez I thought we wanted more than that.[/quote]

Trapp''O''Toni said he wouldn''t consider any player not playing at a minimum of Championship level, so let''s see how he gets on this season.

[/quote]

Honestly, I dont how you can rate him him. Its time to be realistic, this is his 3rd season for us,

Would he really be kept out of the Republic of Ireland squad by Keith Andrews, Keith Fahey, Paul Green, Keith Tracey if he were ''that'' good?

For his one piece of magic, he''ll give the ball away a dozen times, we might have got away with that in League One, we wont in the Championship.

Boasting about having a player voted player of the season in the third tier of English football....................Jeez I thought we wanted more than that.[/quote]Strange - I was saying just that on here yesterday and was shouted down - some deluded souls even compared Hoolahan to other one-footed ''maestros'' such as Messi and Maradona! HA!

[quote user="portmanking"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

Boasting about having a player voted player of the season in the third tier of English football....................Jeez I thought we wanted more than that.[/quote]Strange - I was saying just that on here yesterday and was shouted down - some deluded souls even compared Hoolahan to other one-footed ''maestros'' such as Messi and Maradona! HA![/quote]People are highly unlikely to be even vaguely interested in an Ipswich fan''s opinion posted on a Norwich city message board on any of our players.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="portmanking"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

Boasting about having a player voted player of the season in the third tier of English football....................Jeez I thought we wanted more than that.[/quote]Strange - I was saying just that on here yesterday and was shouted down - some deluded souls even compared Hoolahan to other one-footed ''maestros'' such as Messi and Maradona! HA![/quote]People are highly unlikely to be even vaguely interested in an Ipswich fan''s opinion posted on a Norwich city message board on any of our players.[/quote]That''s a shame, I come on here because I like debate. And let''s be honest I''m never far from the truth as the many posts above this one suggest.

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

What about the previous 10 years hes been playing professional football?