Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Player Ratings

Ruddy - 8. Joint MOM. Proved alll the doubters wrong with his performance tonight. Pulled off a lot of qaulity saves and has started to command his defence well. Needed this performance to boost his confidence.

R Martin - 6.5. Done well defensively, as usual, but not so much upfield, as usual.

Ward - 8. Joint MOM. Very strong performance, coped with the man-mountain Akinfenwa (sp?) well and didn''t let much past him.

Nelson - 5.5. Very poor first half. Needs to stop hoofing the ball up the pitch and get it down to pass around. Was at fault for goal and Ward often covered for him.

Drury - 7. Performance grew as the game went on.

Smith - 7. Covered for Crofts well. Linked well with Fox and provided good cover for R Martin.

Fox - 7. For the first half hour everything went through him, great passer of the ball.

Lappin - 7. Typical Lappin performance, not much ability but gave 100%.

Hoolahan - 6. Performance mirrored last Friday''s. All tricks but lacked that killer ball.

C Martin - 6. Was very selfish with his second goal which Oli made and didn''t do much to stretch the defence but good double.

Holt - 7. Showed us what we were missing Friday but was clear he was not at full fitness.

Gill - 6.5. Solid performance, glad to see him come on.

Johnson - 6.5. Created the 4th goal well and managed one of his runs where he beats about 4 players.

McNamee - 7.5. Did more in 10 minutes than what Wes did all game. Yet again proved himself in the "hole".

Lambert - 7. Glad he picked strong squad and gave Gill a chance. Perhaps should have gave Macca more time.

Ref - 5. It''s D''Urso so what do you expect. Wouldn''t let the game flow.

Fans - 7. Responded well to the Gills fan''s taunts, especially for the size of our crowd.

Overall performance - 7. Started well but due to sloppy defending conceded and became very shaky (just like Friday). After scoring confidence slowly returned and by the second goal we were oozing it. Team really needed this game to kickstart our season.

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]

R Martin - 6.5. Done well defensively, as usual, but not so much upfield, as usual.

[/quote]

Apart from an excellent cross to Holt for our 2nd goal as well as being heavily involved in the build up play for the 3rd goal

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]

[/quote]

Apart from an excellent cross to Holt for our 2nd goal as well as being heavily involved in the build up play for the 3rd goal

[/quote]

Fair dues, and BTW I''m not a Russell Martin hater but I like him and would say he has been our best defender so far.

Sadly I couldn''t be at the game however Radio Snorefolk said pre-show that Surman had picked up a knock which is why he wasn''t even a sub.

Not sure on your rating for Russell Martin, sounded like he had a great game going forward, involved in both build ups for the 1st and 2nd goals.

I didn''t go to the game but listened to bits of it on the radio, and so your judgement is probably better than mine, but surely Chrissy Martin deserves more than a 6 considering he scored two goals? And Holt as well considering he scored two and set-up one? Not criticising just curious as to why they didn''t deserve higher ratings.

[quote user="Reckoner"]I didn''t go to the game but listened to bits of it on the radio, and so your judgement is probably better than mine, but surely Chrissy Martin deserves more than a 6 considering he scored two goals? And Holt as well considering he scored two and set-up one? Not criticising just curious as to why they didn''t deserve higher ratings.[/quote]He deserved far higher than a 6. Only Chris Martin would get criticised for scoring a goal.

[quote user="Ozbarclay"]Pleasin... I thought Surman didn''t play due to agreement with Gillingham[/quote]LOLAH: ''Please don''t play Surman against us in the cup.''PL: ''Why not?''AH: ''Oh come on, lets make things a little fairer. What about paper, scissors, stone?''PL: *Rock*AH: *Paper*PL: ''£@%$!!''

Oh NO not a selfish striker!! Whatever next? Martin played well tonight and like others have said deserves a much higher mark imo.

Also is Ward as MOM a joke?

Ruddy - 7 Solid, claimed crosses well and proved he''s a decent shot-stopper. This should have boosted his confidence

Martin - 6 Defensively sound, linked well with Smith for the 3rd Goal but that was a rare forray forward.

Ward - 7 Solid and composed, uses the ball so much better than Nelson, although that''s not hard.

Nelson - 5 tangled himself for the Gillingham goal. Won headers and tackles as you''d expect against a League 2 strikeforce but his distribution was poor. Surely the whole point in playing Fox at the base of the diamond is for Nelson to play short passes into his feet and leave teh distribution to him?

Drury - 6 Solid, reliable typical Drury.

Fox - 6 looks neat and tidy and did produce a couple of fine through balls but I think he''s too lightweight to play this position in the Championship.

Smith - 8 He didn''t show any lack of match fitness! Ran hard and hurried Gilligham in midfield for 90 minutes. Good use of the ball too and covered well for Martin. Involved in 3 of the 4 goals. MOM

Lappin - 7 A competent performance. Made decent use of the ball and covered well defensively. Drury looked less comfortable with Surman in front of him.

Hoolahan - 5 was too often guilty of over elaborating and little worked for him tonight.

Martin - 7 two goals to show for a good effort. Unlucky not to have had a hat trick after striking the bar twice from well struck free kicks.

Holt - 8 despite looking half a stone overweight he scored two well taken goals and made another. Gave their defence a lot to think about.

SUBS

Johnson - 6 Ran hard and took advantage of a tiring defence.

McNamee - 7 possibly a touch generous for 15 mins or so but looked threatening behind the strikers and neat on the ball as well as showing a good turn of pace.

Gill - 6 had no impact on the game but given the situation when introduced he was unlikely to. Did nothing wrong either.

I think tonght highlighted the importance of Holt to us. We play a lot of diagonal balls from wide areas and Holt is the only striker who can deal with them. We MUST find a back up target man. This is the Championship, not La Liga and that physical presence is vital.

Nelson is going to be way out of his depth in the Championship. I hope Askou will be given a chance soon.

I have major reservationas about David Fox and how lightweight our midfield appears. I''d like to see Crofts take his position and Smith to play on the right-hand side of the diamond.

Playing a 5 man midfield with Hoolahan behind Holt, particularly away from home is something I''d like to see experimented with. We have enough creativity in midfield to make it work I believe.

[quote user="Ozbarclay"]Pleasin... I thought Surman didn''t play due to agreement with Gillingham[/quote]No it was Jackson that wasn''t playing due to the gentleman''s agreement.Surman didn''t play for Gilingham!

[quote user="Chewbacca"]Martin - 6 Defensively sound, linked well with Smith for the 3rd Goal but that was a rare forray forward.[/quote]

Well that''s strange, because most people critcisms (and I use that word lightly) have contested his ability defensively, saying he looks good attacking but this leaves huges gaps behind him.

Will Martin do anything right?

Don''t understand the low ratings for Hoolahan, everything was going through him all game and was by our most creative player.

Russel Martin had a good game, solid at the back and put some good balls into the box.

Nelson was also very good, a number of superbly timed tackles and blocks.

Very impressed with Lappin too.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="Chewbacca"]Martin - 6 Defensively sound, linked well with Smith for the 3rd Goal but that was a rare forray forward.[/quote]

Well that''s strange, because most people critcisms (and I use that word lightly) have contested his ability defensively, saying he looks good attacking but this leaves huges gaps behind him.

Will Martin do anything right?

[/quote]

I''m talking defensively sound against a weak Gillingham attack here! I think he plays better with Smith in front of him (that may just be due to a built up understanding).

When he goes forward he uses the ball well at times.

He will defeintely prove to be a weak link this season.

In the Watford game i thought Martin attacked well but looked a bit suspect defensively, but less than any of our other defenders still!

I felt he had a slightly more defensive game today, where i feel he done really well. I also felt he was effective when he did come forward, as he was involved in at least two of our goals i think.

This ''weak link'' rubbish is based purely on a pre-judged rating of a player who''s form dipped slightly at the end of last season.

I know these points things are about opinion but Chris Martin only a six!

From where I was sitting I thought he had a terrific game. Two goals, ran his socks off all night and hit the bar. Thats got to be worth more than average!

Chris Martin = 9

What more can you ask for from a striker than tonight''s performance? Unless you are deducting marks for the fact we played a League 2 team. You can only beat what is put in front of you!

[quote user="Pabs"]Chris Martin = 9 What more can you ask for from a striker than tonight''s performance? Unless you are deducting marks for the fact we played a League 2 team. You can only beat what is put in front of you![/quote]

Hear hear!