Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

our club is driving the working class fans away

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Tom cavendish- if you are going to pick the cheapest possible ticket at other clubs then let`s keep it honest on this thread and focus on the cheapest possible ticket for the Watford game which was £27- not £32 which appears to have been plucked out of thin air on this thread for people to have a good moan-fest.  Yes, £20 for Scunny-Norwich is a good deal but then they are in the same position we were 7-8 years ago where we had spare capacity most games and were trying to encourage a new generation of supporters.  We don`t need to now, but should we somehow manage to increase our capacity to the 33k or so required, or crowds drop off, no doubt we`ll see plenty of generous ticket offers again.

I`d be interested to know how many casual games you generally make at CR per season?  And has it ocurred to you that if you attend one fewer it will probably easily cover the cost of the price rises?

[/quote]We shall have to wait and see whether or not the ground will be full every home game at the new high casual ticket prices with the added booking fees. If not, then the extra seats will have been a waste of money.The club got it wrong for the Watford game and we shall soon see if they have got it right or wrong for the Swansea game. If they can completely sell-out the stadium charging high prices then that is fair enough, I have absolutely no problem with that at all.As for me, I will try to go to some of the lower priced games and I will stop buying any food and drink inside the stadium.I''m really looking forward tonight although I fear it could be my last game for a long time.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]I don''t suppose you have the urge to retract the statement that I offer nothing to society? As I''d like to know in what world I don''t? I''ll tell you right now that most students at University have jobs, even if only over the summer months, which they use to support themselves.

Without student loans, even the hardest workers would struggle to support themselves, especially with a proposed doubling of tuition fees in the coming years.

You not being supported by the Government (as with many others) is of course not right. The whole system is littered with problems, which are unfortunately (in my opinion anyway), unlikely to change soon with the relatively lethal cocktail of a recession and a Conservative Government.[/quote]Sorry mate, but I really, honestly, couldn''t care less. There is also a very high percentage of students who are tripping their way through life sitting in student bars drinking cider for 40 pence a pint and crying about the nasty capitalist society that somehow owes them a living, while they pi$$ away 3 years on a useless degree that will still mean they will be, at best, a 2 star as Maccy D''s. And yes, I am waving the tarry brush, before it is pointed out to me.Now if you are actually paying your own way, and not just in Uni spunking away your time on a history of modern art degree, then fair play to you. [Y]Getting back on topic, and picking up on a few of your statements, football is a luxury, as is Sky telly and a flash car. It is not a basic human right, such as clean drinking water or health care.And if you can''t afford it, you can''t afford it.[:)]

Well is CJ working class or not[:^)] And what colour is his collar[:^)] Is he maybe part-time working class[:^)] And Morty, I hope you got that job last week but until then are you working class because you worked for a longtime[:^)] This confuses the life out of me and I need to know whether our club is driving me away or not[*-)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well is CJ working class or not[:^)] And what colour is his collar[:^)] Is he maybe part-time working class[:^)] And Morty, I hope you got that job last week but until then are you working class because you worked for a longtime[:^)] This confuses the life out of me and I need to know whether our club is driving me away or not[*-)]

[/quote]Lol[:D]They are going to let me know, I''m sure I shall broadcast it via FB.I appear to be between classes right now lol.

Houston Canary said:

"Davo, committing money to 1 game, especially into the season when product quality has been established, is hardly comparable to buying an ST before trades and aquisitions have been made."

This makes me wonder seriously how many games you have actually been to. In football there is always a chance that the "product" will not be as expected. Take us last year, we were riding high at the top everyone expecting us to win easily away to little Leyton Orient. The season before that we were poor drawing and loosing all the time then we produce a performance out of the bag and beat Ips***. The point I was making was that no matter when you buy your ticket for said match you NEVER know what the quality of the game may be.

Just because someone commits to something over a longer term does not make them more "loyal". Dedicated, Yes. Loyal, No.

Davo

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Yes, £20 for Scunny-Norwich is a good deal but then they are in the same position we were 7-8 years ago where we had spare capacity most games and were trying to encourage a new generation of supporters.  We don`t need to now, but should we somehow manage to increase our capacity to the 33k or so required, or crowds drop off, no doubt we`ll see plenty of generous ticket offers again.

[/quote]

I don''t know whether the club''s policy is going to deter potential fans. But it simply cannot afford to do so. It still has to encourage a new generation. All football clubs, whatever their spare capacity (or lack of it), need to be permanently rejuvenating their fan base. If you wait until the gaps start to appear then it''s already too late.

[/quote]

Well the last time i checked, kids season-tickets were still ridiculously cheap, adult season-tickets were very good value, it was kids for a quid for a competitive game tonight and the cheapest tickets for an "A" game were £27 rather than the £32 fabricated on here.  We also had demand significantly outstripping supply for many games even in the third division, leaving many potential fans ticketless and disappointed.  It could be argued that higher prices will lead to a higher number of individuals going to a fewer number of games per head, therefore we actually will be rejuvenating our fanbase- particularly if "walk-up" tickets are widely available. 

What i really don`t understand is "casuals" who seemingly go to several games over an average season now threatening not to go to any, against the backdrop of an impressive attempt to support a successful manager over the summer with the biggest debt in the clubs history looming in the background, when they could recoup the cost of the increases by going to one less game than usual.  Supporters or spectators?

[quote user="morty"]Getting back on topic, and picking up on a few of your statements, football is a luxury, as is Sky telly and a flash car. It is not a basic human right, such as clean drinking water or health care.And if you can''t afford it, you can''t afford it.[:)][/quote]In a lot of capitalist societies, health care ain''t a basic human right either.And if you want football, you have Match of the Day on the BBC, followed by the Championship on the BBC.  If you want to go and watch a game, you need to accept it will cost you money to get in.  If I can''t afford to go and see a show at the Theatre Royal, I don''t complain about it, I just accept it.  Football = entertainment.  Entertainment costs money.

Davo, what difference does it make how many games I attend?

You can be surer of what to expect from the team in March if you (not) to buy a ticket in March than morty was when he loyally commited to the cause 9 months previous,

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s no help to me Houston. I''m blue collar sometimes and white collar others. But mostly I wear designer Tshirts which are the envy of the M&S brigade on here.

[/quote]If that spectacular effort on display at the NCISA barbeque is anything to go then the S & M brigade must be a tad green too.....

Houston sorry but your wrong. A down turn in form can happen at any point in the season just as an upturn in form can.

Look at Leeds and Charlton they were in fine form at the start of the season but do you think that come March their fans new what to expect from their team? The point is you might think you know what to expect when you go through those turnstiles but you NEVER know.

The opposite end of the spectrum is a music concert of a band you like. I don''t know about you but when I go to a concert I know I will enjoy it. Next month on Saturday the 11th of September I will not be attending Norwich V Barnsley at home because back in January I booked two tickets to see Muse at Wembley. By your definition of loyalty because I committed to see this concert 8 months before it was due I''m more loyal to Muse than I am to Norwich. Despite the fact I''ve only ever seen Muse live once before but have seen Norwich 100''s of time.

The only thing you are doing when you purchase a season ticket is making a financial and time commitment in your life that you have chosen. That doesn''t make you more loyal just more dedicated.

Davo

And to your point about making the driving sound like a job, sometimes it feels like it. When your driving home in the dark and it''s peeing it down in the rain and Norwich have lost it''s a long boring drive. The car tends to be very quiet especially if we have lost heavily or had a really poor performance. Sure the way to the game can be a lot of fun, listening to Danny Baker followed by Fighting Talk while everyone who isn''t driving recovers from their hangover from the night before then as you get closer and closer to Norwich the banter builds up and then you park. Hit the pub have a few pints if your not driving (just the one if you are) then head to the ground etc. but it''s still a long day when you spend 6 hours travelling 400 miles.

Davo

No, by my definition you are missing the point and then comparing apples to oranges to justify it.

Who are Muse playing against in the concert?

We all know teams ebb and flow and you focus on individual exceptions, but OVER ALL, you have much more reaxonable expectations when buying a seat 2 days ahead of the game than 9 months prior.

Yes, I know Muse is not playing against amyone, it was showing your apples to oranges silliness.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s no help to me Houston. I''m blue collar sometimes and white collar others. But mostly I wear designer Tshirts which are the envy of the M&S brigade on here.

[/quote]

If that spectacular effort on display at the NCISA barbeque is anything to go then the S & M brigade must be a tad green too.....
[/quote]

S & M Smithy[:^)]

I don''t think so [8-)]

Most of you others at the BBQ were XXL [B][pi][B][pi][B][pi][B][pi][+o(]

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Tom cavendish- if you are going to pick the cheapest possible ticket at other clubs then let`s keep it honest on this thread and focus on the cheapest possible ticket for the Watford game which was £27- not £32 which appears to have been plucked out of thin air on this thread for people to have a good moan-fest.  Yes, £20 for Scunny-Norwich is a good deal but then they are in the same position we were 7-8 years ago where we had spare capacity most games and were trying to encourage a new generation of supporters.  We don`t need to now, but should we somehow manage to increase our capacity to the 33k or so required, or crowds drop off, no doubt we`ll see plenty of generous ticket offers again.

I`d be interested to know how many casual games you generally make at CR per season?  And has it ocurred to you that if you attend one fewer it will probably easily cover the cost of the price rises?

[/quote]

We shall have to wait and see whether or not the ground will be full every home game at the new high casual ticket prices with the added booking fees. If not, then the extra seats will have been a waste of money.

The club got it wrong for the Watford game and we shall soon see if they have got it right or wrong for the Swansea game. If they can completely sell-out the stadium charging high prices then that is fair enough, I have absolutely no problem with that at all.

As for me, I will try to go to some of the lower priced games and I will stop buying any food and drink inside the stadium.

I''m really looking forward tonight although I fear it could be my last game for a long time.
[/quote]

Well you`re obviously not advocating some kind of boycott as some seem to be hinting at, so fair play.  I agree they got the Watford game wrong- imo they expected 1000+ from Watford as first games usually attract big away supports. 

If someone spends, on average, £200 on casual tickets at CR i can`t for the life of me see why (other than drastic changes in personal finance) that £200 shouldn`t be spread over slightly fewer games this season to allow for the price increases, particularly given that we are spending money on players rather than selling them. 

Anyone think Lambert would still be here if the club hadn`t backed him in the summer?  Does it actually bother people who are moaning on this thread??  Or would they be moaning that the club hadn`t backed him?

And i daresay that if we draw another league 2 side in the next round after our superb steamrollering today, it`ll be more kids for a quid and another cheap-as-chips game for you to enjoy.......

It''s apples and oranges but not silliness. You were saying that if you agree to do something months in advance that makes you more loyal. I disagreed and demonstrated my point by using a different example.

You are saying that just because you are willing to commit to a season ticket you are more loyal than those who are "casual" fans. This is is not correct. You are simply just more dedicated with a different set of priorities. Is the fan who had to give up their season ticket because they can''t afford it this year any less loyal than they was last season? Will they be even less loyal next season if they don''t get one? No of course you won''t. People support the club in the ways that they can. When you support a club through thick and thin, in the good times and the bad times that is what makes you loyal.

If your measuring loyalty by other factors like how much you pay for a season ticket or how much time and effort you spend supporting Norwich then you are saying that Delia is the most loyal Norwich supporter ever, even more loyal than the late great Geoffrey Watling.

Davo

I did not say ''something'' as you falsely accuse, Davo. Committing regularly to a sports season ticket months early, esp. for a team like ours, generally takes more loyalty and dedication than committing early to a pop concert or buying a walk up ticket to a game. Pop and walk ups have a better idea of what to expect.