Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

our club is driving the working class fans away

Well, what if we don''t have a healthy attendance against Swansea....What reasons or excuses will be wheeled out then?

People still on holiday, (maybe so) or there''s something good on telly - or some other crowd-pulling event is on in Norfolk?.......Or, that Swansea haven''t a huge away following? Or, because it''s a Cat A game....costing £31.....

Why is Swansea a Cat A game? Anyone know? Are Swansea recent Welsh Cup winners? Is their squad packed with international stars? Or, is it Cat ''A'' because August, begins with an ''A''?

The infills for the Watford game were sparsely occupied, there were considerable gaps in other areas of the stadium....I shall be curious to see if these seats are filled on the 21st of August against The Swans.....and also for the rest of the home games after the holiday period is over. Let''s all see if these extra installed seats begin to bear fruition?

I wonder what the attendance will be for Swansea....(Let''s see what the attendance is for the Gillingham Cup game, because that''s where the club can make some money - as season ticket holders like the casuals and members, have to pay for their seats for these Cup games)....

Maybe the league game against Barnsley, will be a Cat ''B''....As it''s ''B'' For Barnsley?

I also eagerly await the club comments/reasons, on how and what basis they categorise our home games....

I''m fortunate that I live within a healthy walking distance from the stadium....But, I certainly do sympathise with those loyalists who consistently travel from further afield from within Norfolk (and beyond) to religiously attend home games; and for their having to fund the added and expensive costs of maybe train/bus fare, parking, fuel, food and fluid etc....Maybe then to add a partner and maybe a couple of kinder, then the cost of the football experience in Norfolk, then rises quite considerably.....

I''m sympathetic also, to those on limited income and have little disposable finance, who still attend the games.  

I also wonder if those fortunate enough to reside close to Carrow Road, who and if also had to pay these extra costs of their attendance.....Would they then be so accepting and non-critical of the rising costs of the Norwich football experience?

I suppose, they would say, that they would be...

the reason I think it is a CAT A is because its the start of the season and there is a good feeling and optomism after winning Lge 1 and the club think people wil pay it.

As the ticket prices were released before the start of the season the club were taking a chance we would beat Watford and still be on a crest of a wave.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Dan Druff"]Well said, OP. I can''t disagree with any of your post. It seems only five minutes ago when I could pay about £50 for a season ticket to stand on the lower Barclay terrace (not much more than 20 years ago, in fact) - now it''s not far short of 50 notes for one sodding game!Ridiculous![/quote]In 1957, I use to pay 6d, (two and a half pence) to stand in the River End, with a 3d transfer to the City stand if wet.

The Wensum Stand with cushion was 7/6 (35p)

My choccy bill was dearer back then.

[/quote]

Those were the days[:D]

Now try relating those prices against the average income then.

Is there much difference in % of earnings?

Just done a little reseach over my lunch break into ticket prices.  For the 12 Championship matches this weekend, here are the adult prices for home areas:Barnsley v Crystal PalaceGrade C: £15 all areasDerby v CardiffPlatinum: £28-£33 advance purchase£1 per ticket booking feeDoncaster v Bristol CityCategory 2: £22-£2550p booking fee in person, £1 online.  Additional 50p for ticket postage if requiredIpswich v BurnleyGrade B: £26-£36 advance purchase£1 per transaction booking fee (members and season ticket holder exempt)Leicester v MiddlesbroughPlatinum: £28-£37Via ticketmaster, so bound to be some kind of booking fee!Millwall v HullUnable to find details on the Millwall site, however Hull fans are being charged £22Nottm Forest v Leeds UnitedNo Grade: £23-£28£1 per ticket plus £1 per transaction booking feePortsmouth v ReadingNo Grade: £18-£23Scunthorpe v NorwichGrade B: £20-£32Sheff Utd v QPRGrade B: £22-£25Swansea v PrestonGrade B: £20-£25Watford v CoventryNo Grade: £25-£30 advance purchase£1 phone, 50p online per ticket booking feeAs can be seen, many clubs have tickets in the £30+ bracket, plus booking fees are often per ticket, not transaction as is the case at Norwich.

[quote user="hogesar"]

People complaining about kids prices? KIDS FOR A QUID TOMORROW?!?! [:D]

And i''m sure there''ll be some more matches which are kids for a quid. If it bothers you that much, be more selective with the games you go to because in my view, someone else will be there to snap up your ticket [:)]

[/quote]And yes well done the club, but we are on about league games. Would you expect fans to pay top dollar for a cup game against the gills , maybe the fa cup but not the league cup where most teams play there reserve teams and don''t take it to seriously.

Blimey, Wiz spent 8% + of his earnings on chocolate? What would that be today? He must have been made of the stuff.A chocolate brain would explain a lot ........

"But when I walked into the barclay on friday night and saw that a pint has gone up to £3.50 I thought no way will I buy a pint in carrow road again."

What''s the problem here?

The club remains a transvestite unsure of what it is. The new faces have diverted to media to some extent but Smith continues to ''drag'' NCFC down.The traditional local supporter has long since deserted what used to be an emotional part of their psyche... and so the club is now left with it''s soppy well heeled luvvies who can afford to pay the toll asked. NCFC has lost it''s links with the wider City and County in all but name.

[quote user="Cluck"]The club remains a transvestite unsure of what it is. The new faces have diverted to media to some extent but Smith continues to ''drag'' NCFC down.The traditional local supporter has long since deserted what used to be an emotional part of their psyche... and so the club is now left with it''s soppy well heeled luvvies who can afford to pay the toll asked. NCFC has lost it''s links with the wider City and County in all but name.[/quote]Oh christ, who rattled your cage ?

[quote user="hogesar"]

People complaining about kids prices? KIDS FOR A QUID TOMORROW?!?! [:D]

And i''m sure there''ll be some more matches which are kids for a quid. If it bothers you that much, be more selective with the games you go to because in my view, someone else will be there to snap up your ticket [:)]

[/quote]

What i don`t get is that the people going on about the increases are casual supporters, ergo, they don`t go to every game.  If an individual planned to go to ten games this season, he could probably recoup the cost of the increases by only going to nine.  Not that difficult and hardly a big deal, surely? 

The club have probably decided that there is enough demand per game to fill the seats, even if most casual supporters go to fewer games as individuals.  Yet we have "supporters" talking about not going at all because of price rises of a few quid per game!!  All this against a back-drop of selling none of a successful promotion-winning side and spending some £3m to bolster it.  Supporters or spectators?

Re: our club is driving the working class fans away

And yet, driving the upper class from the club car-park to the stands......and then driving them back again to the club car-park.....

......in golf buggies...? 

Mr C… you have forgotten to mention a very different workplace from a year ago… to some people that are living on the breadline a shift in terms of a few pounds really does make a difference as to going or not… the threat of impending redundancy or pay-freeze or pay-reductions. Football may be the be-all-and-end-all to some, but to others it doesn''t replace food on the table, bills paid or school uniforms.Also, I just can''t buy into this "casual ticket and you''re not a supporter" bol lox… from when I was 10 until I bought my first season ticket in the Play Off year I only missed a handful of games in what was 25/26 years. The fact that I was always a "casual" supporter made me no less a "supporter" nor any more a "spectator"… I was there when we struggled to get 15 - 16,000 when we were top of the Prem.Are the missing 10,000 that have subsequently turned up from those days any more a supporter cos I have once again reverted to my casual ticket buying existence?

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Mr C… you have forgotten to mention a very different workplace from a year ago… to some people that are living on the breadline a shift in terms of a few pounds really does make a difference as to going or not… the threat of impending redundancy or pay-freeze or pay-reductions. Football may be the be-all-and-end-all to some, but to others it doesn''t replace food on the table, bills paid or school uniforms.Also, I just can''t buy into this "casual ticket and you''re not a supporter" bol lox… from when I was 10 until I bought my first season ticket in the Play Off year I only missed a handful of games in what was 25/26 years. The fact that I was always a "casual" supporter made me no less a "supporter" nor any more a "spectator"… I was there when we struggled to get 15 - 16,000 when we were top of the Prem.Are the missing 10,000 that have subsequently turned up from those days any more a supporter cos I have once again reverted to my casual ticket buying existence?[/quote]Sorry, but who mentioned that they thought casual ticket buyers were less of a supporter? I have not seen it mentioned in this thread.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Just done a little reseach over my lunch break into ticket prices.  For the 12 Championship matches this weekend, here are the adult prices for home areas:Barnsley v Crystal PalaceGrade C: £15 all areasDerby v CardiffPlatinum: £28-£33 advance purchase£1 per ticket booking feeDoncaster v Bristol CityCategory 2: £22-£2550p booking fee in person, £1 online.  Additional 50p for ticket postage if requiredIpswich v BurnleyGrade B: £26-£36 advance purchase£1 per transaction booking fee (members and season ticket holder exempt)Leicester v MiddlesbroughPlatinum: £28-£37Via ticketmaster, so bound to be some kind of booking fee!Millwall v HullUnable to find details on the Millwall site, however Hull fans are being charged £22Nottm Forest v Leeds UnitedNo Grade: £23-£28£1 per ticket plus £1 per transaction booking feePortsmouth v ReadingNo Grade: £18-£23Scunthorpe v NorwichGrade B: £20-£32Sheff Utd v QPRGrade B: £22-£25Swansea v PrestonGrade B: £20-£25Watford v CoventryNo Grade: £25-£30 advance purchase£1 phone, 50p online per ticket booking feeAs can be seen, many clubs have tickets in the £30+ bracket, plus booking fees are often per ticket, not transaction as is the case at Norwich.[/quote]That makes the Norwich v Watford ticket prices look very expensive. Scunthorpe v Norwich for £20 seems a good price considering it''s their 1st home game, they have a small stadium and Norwich should take a good following.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Andy Larkin"]Mr C… you have forgotten to mention a very different workplace from a year ago… to some people that are living on the breadline a shift in terms of a few pounds really does make a difference as to going or not… the threat of impending redundancy or pay-freeze or pay-reductions. Football may be the be-all-and-end-all to some, but to others it doesn''t replace food on the table, bills paid or school uniforms.Also, I just can''t buy into this "casual ticket and you''re not a supporter" bol lox… from when I was 10 until I bought my first season ticket in the Play Off year I only missed a handful of games in what was 25/26 years. The fact that I was always a "casual" supporter made me no less a "supporter" nor any more a "spectator"… I was there when we struggled to get 15 - 16,000 when we were top of the Prem.Are the missing 10,000 that have subsequently turned up from those days any more a supporter cos I have once again reverted to my casual ticket buying existence?[/quote]Sorry, but who mentioned that they thought casual ticket buyers were less of a supporter? I have not seen it mentioned in this thread.[/quote]See the parenthesis on Mr Carrow''s "supporters" above my last post… along with previous references from others on the £31 per ticket posting from a few days back

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Andy Larkin"]Mr C… you have forgotten to mention a very different workplace from a year ago… to some people that are living on the breadline a shift in terms of a few pounds really does make a difference as to going or not… the threat of impending redundancy or pay-freeze or pay-reductions. Football may be the be-all-and-end-all to some, but to others it doesn''t replace food on the table, bills paid or school uniforms.Also, I just can''t buy into this "casual ticket and you''re not a supporter" bol lox… from when I was 10 until I bought my first season ticket in the Play Off year I only missed a handful of games in what was 25/26 years. The fact that I was always a "casual" supporter made me no less a "supporter" nor any more a "spectator"… I was there when we struggled to get 15 - 16,000 when we were top of the Prem.Are the missing 10,000 that have subsequently turned up from those days any more a supporter cos I have once again reverted to my casual ticket buying existence?[/quote]Sorry, but who mentioned that they thought casual ticket buyers were less of a supporter? I have not seen it mentioned in this thread.[/quote]See the parenthesis on Mr Carrow''s "supporters" above my last post… along with previous references from others on the £31 per ticket posting from a few days back[/quote]There is a point, that is pretty factual though, that someone who is committing to pay to go to every single game this season, regardless of whether they miss games, and regardless of how the team is playing, is showing more loyalty and financial commitment to the club.Thats pretty much a fact, whether I would choose to throw it in someone''s face is open to debate.

How do you judge financial loyalty though?Those 25 years that I paid to go to every game (save the genuine handful that i did miss) cost me far more than had I bought a season ticket… ergo my financial input was greater than those that had purchased a season ticket.And using that as a guage of a fan''s devotion (the season ticket ownership)… does that cast the man that can no longer afford to go as disloyal?This is symptomatic of the whole football problem… you have to be a fully signed up member of the religion that is football… the merchandise, the over priced, poor quality food, the pissh weak beer that tastes watered down, … otherwise you''re not loyal, you''re not supporting the club etc…We''ve all been brainwashed by Rupert that we need to get to the promised land and the only way to do so is to sell our souls. And that is why football is slowly losing me as a worshipper… I think I have finally seen the emporers flabby ar se ''cos there aren''t any new clothes… just the same threadbare ones as before but with a new designer label sewn on!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Andy Larkin"]Mr C… you have forgotten to mention a very different workplace from a year ago… to some people that are living on the breadline a shift in terms of a few pounds really does make a difference as to going or not… the threat of impending redundancy or pay-freeze or pay-reductions. Football may be the be-all-and-end-all to some, but to others it doesn''t replace food on the table, bills paid or school uniforms.Also, I just can''t buy into this "casual ticket and you''re not a supporter" bol lox… from when I was 10 until I bought my first season ticket in the Play Off year I only missed a handful of games in what was 25/26 years. The fact that I was always a "casual" supporter made me no less a "supporter" nor any more a "spectator"… I was there when we struggled to get 15 - 16,000 when we were top of the Prem.Are the missing 10,000 that have subsequently turned up from those days any more a supporter cos I have once again reverted to my casual ticket buying existence?[/quote]Sorry, but who mentioned that they thought casual ticket buyers were less of a supporter? I have not seen it mentioned in this thread.[/quote]See the parenthesis on Mr Carrow''s "supporters" above my last post… along with previous references from others on the £31 per ticket posting from a few days back[/quote]There is a point, that is pretty factual though, that someone who is committing to pay to go to every single game this season, regardless of whether they miss games, and regardless of how the team is playing, is showing more loyalty and financial commitment to the club.Thats pretty much a fact, whether I would choose to throw it in someone''s face is open to debate.

[/quote]Your wrong, last season I didn''t bother getting a season ticket due to always working Saturdays, as it turned out I ended up having Saturdays off most weeks, I ended up going to 14 home matches, and 11 away matches, spending at least £2000 following Norwich, so what your saying is not factual at all, I bet I spent more than most Season ticket holders last year. In relation to people moaning about price increases, it''s not just Norwich that are doing it, I''m in the retail industry, and all the major suppliers have bumped up their prices considerably (especially alcohol distributors), so business''s usually increase the price of their product accordingly, otherwise they make less profit, and don''t forget minimum wage is going up, so it''s all relative. 

Its not about what has happened in the last 25 years. Its about what we have to spend on players, right now.And someone committing to go to every single game of the season is contributing more cash to the coffers, thats the plain fact of it.No one is calling anyone disloyal, and I think you are over reacting a little. And if you have become so disillusioned with the football today, you can always choose not to go.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Those 25 years that I paid to go to every game (save the genuine handful that i did miss) cost me far more than had I bought a season ticket… ergo my financial input was greater than those that had purchased a season ticket.[/quote]Maybe stupid is a better word then?

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Andy Larkin"]Mr C… you have forgotten to mention a very different workplace from a year ago… to some people that are living on the breadline a shift in terms of a few pounds really does make a difference as to going or not… the threat of impending redundancy or pay-freeze or pay-reductions. Football may be the be-all-and-end-all to some, but to others it doesn''t replace food on the table, bills paid or school uniforms.Also, I just can''t buy into this "casual ticket and you''re not a supporter" bol lox… from when I was 10 until I bought my first season ticket in the Play Off year I only missed a handful of games in what was 25/26 years. The fact that I was always a "casual" supporter made me no less a "supporter" nor any more a "spectator"… I was there when we struggled to get 15 - 16,000 when we were top of the Prem.Are the missing 10,000 that have subsequently turned up from those days any more a supporter cos I have once again reverted to my casual ticket buying existence?[/quote]Sorry, but who mentioned that they thought casual ticket buyers were less of a supporter? I have not seen it mentioned in this thread.[/quote]See the parenthesis on Mr Carrow''s "supporters" above my last post… along with previous references from others on the £31 per ticket posting from a few days back[/quote]There is a point, that is pretty factual though, that someone who is committing to pay to go to every single game this season, regardless of whether they miss games, and regardless of how the team is playing, is showing more loyalty and financial commitment to the club.Thats pretty much a fact, whether I would choose to throw it in someone''s face is open to debate.

[/quote]Your wrong, last season I didn''t bother getting a season ticket due to always working Saturdays, as it turned out I ended up having Saturdays off most weeks, I ended up going to 14 home matches, and 11 away matches, spending at least £2000 following Norwich, so what your saying is not factual at all, I bet I spent more than most Season ticket holders last year. In relation to people moaning about price increases, it''s not just Norwich that are doing it, I''m in the retail industry, and all the major suppliers have bumped up their prices considerably (especially alcohol distributors), so business''s usually increase the price of their product accordingly, otherwise they make less profit, and don''t forget minimum wage is going up, so it''s all relative.  [/quote]There will always be exceptions to anything, but I bet you wish you had bought a season ticket, don''t you?

[quote user="ron obvious"]
Blimey, Wiz spent 8% + of his earnings on chocolate? What would that be today? He must have been made of the stuff.
A chocolate brain would explain a lot ........

[/quote]Err, I was still at middle school!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="ron obvious"]
Blimey, Wiz spent 8% + of his earnings on chocolate? What would that be today? He must have been made of the stuff.

[/quote]Err, I was still at middle school![/quote]And what a waste of time that was! [;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="ron obvious"]

[/quote]Err, I was still at middle school![/quote]

Was it approved? Borstal Comprehensive or something similar.....maybe?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]not at all just pointing out the fact that it always goes back to the fans.

I tel you what im doing. Im going to eat and drink else where before a game from now on where I get value for money and get someone in norwich to collect my away tickets so I dont have to pay the booking fee.

I would happily pay abit more for my season ticket next season but not on beer because its not value for money. Its a crap pint when the pumps are working and you can get a nicer pint for less 5 mins away.

My point here is if others think sod it I will eat and drink elsewhere then surely the club will lose out?[/quote]Its all about choice. I very rarely have a beer at the ground, I buy my kids sweets and drinks from Morrissons. People will still pay the prices, just look at the queues at half time at the refreshment kiosks.Yes it is all about the fans, always has been. Norwich city is a big football shop where we all go to buy footy. But the difference is that, unlike other shops, if we find a cheaper one elsewhere we are unlikely to go and shop there.We may moan and groan, but we''ll still pay the prices.[/quote]I''m not sure they will Morty.It was very noticeable on the concourse in the Jarrold Stand at half time that the queues were less normal. Whether this was as a result of Mr McNally''s ingenious assertion that '' rounding up '' prices would speed things along or that people felt they were getting ripped off is anybody''s guess.My own guess is that people didn''t want to pay the prices. Having arrived at Carrow Road on Friday I discovered that the price of a cup of coffee has increased by 25% to £2.00. This immediately put me off and the Club lost out on what would have been an easy sale at the old price.On the occasions when I arrive after a few beers the new prices will of course seem very reasonable and I won''t even look at the price, but, as the vast majority of fans attend games stone cold sober I think the Club has to be very careful it doesn''t kill the golden goose by pushing supporters just that bit too far.......

In a way I support the prices going up, I did think personally that our ticket prices (particularly season tickets) have been very a good price in the past. So whilst I support the prices going up, it does now mean, at this moment in time, I can''t afford to go to game ironically. I did go on Friday, "borrowing" a friends spare ticket. To his horror (having not had the time to have dinner before the game, after finishing work), he came back with a box of "Nuggets" and chips that cost £4.50. But these are the times. Things have changed in the 10 seasons I had my season ticket. The crowds and the demographics have certainly changed the most. When I first started going 17,000 was a really good gate, and I would venture to say most of the people who went to those match days were more fervent than the average punter today. That''s not necessarily a bad thing, football is certainly more accessible for the young''uns then it used to be. I aint going to lie, but standing on my seat in the Barclay when I was 8 used to scare the s*** out of me, but that was part of the fun back then. The game itself is far more commercialised than ever before, it''s a product to be consumed rather than savoured. If that means that this opens football up to the masses then so be it, but I myself and dubious. Maybe things always seem to be rose-tinted in the past. Yes, I would often nap "kids for a quid" on a Tuesday night against Stockport, and you could buy a "burger" in Scores for a pound (or the remains of what was meat after a ferocious flame-grilling), but the Old Stand was pretty much dangerous, the number of times I got crushed in the back stairs was frightening for a young kid new to football. In general the quality of football on display was a lot worse than present (even in League 1 I would perhaps argue) and the lack of other kids, women and old''uns (they are fans too) added fire to vocal atmosphere, maybe at the cost my intimidation. I personally don''t think it''s the prices that have deterred "working class" folk away from games, rather the change in attitude and desires that have.

Unfortunately the answer is simple. The Norwich City board have realised that whatever division we are in, whether we are bottom or top, whether we are playing well or badly and whether it is raining, sunny or minus 5 degrees.The good old Norwich fans will still come to the game and will still fill the ground.

Therefore, we have made ourselves easy targets for them to charge what they like.

It hardly smacks of loyalty coming back from them to us does it?.

Nobody can take away from the current board the strides they have made in the last twelve months and I dont want anyone to think I am having a go at them BUT I truly believe that we are victims of "The more you do, the more they expect" saga.