Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

our club is driving the working class fans away

FAO David Mcnally. I think what you and the board have done over the last year has been great. Getting lambert and backing him like you have.

But when I walked into the barclay on friday night and saw that a pint has gone up to £3.50 I thought no way will I buy a pint in carrow road again. £12 quid for 4 pints is ok from £10 but how is this "round pricing" surely paying £10 instead of £12 will be quicker. Not only had the price gone up but the pumps are still the same(fecked) the carling was not working for 10 mins. I travel 3 hours to a home game pay to park, buy a programme but thats it. I will go to a local pub where the pint im sure is alot nicer. This along with me having to pay £1.50 every time I book away tickets because I live 150 miles away and dont have the chance to pop into carrow road when I need tickets. I normally buy a new shirt but you can poke it. I will never stop following norwich but it just seems like the club are trying to bleed every penny out of us because the club are skint and we get good numbers turn up. I hate to think what it costs for a family what £100 for casual tickets plus travel, plus drinks, plus food, plus a trip to the club shop. When I was growing up they done "kids for a quid" why does that still not happen?luckily I have a season ticket but £30 for a ticket piss off that is a joke. IT should be £20 max. This at a time when alot of people are struggling to keep afloat. get a grip norwich or a few average seasons on the pitch and you will have driven us "working class" fans away and we will go and watch the local non league teams or just turn into arm chair fans moaning about the price of football and going on about back in the day when we could afford a day out. rant over......

Whilst  I completely get what you''re saying, as I struggle myself, but football is an expensive business, and if we want success, we have to finance it.

[quote user="morty"]Whilst  I completely get what you''re saying, as I struggle myself, but football is an expensive business, and if we want success, we have to finance it.[/quote]There were thousands of empty seats for the game against Watford which suggests they made the tickets too expensive. They could have made more money if they had lowered the prices and sold more tickets.

I agree 100 % with what your saying, I really feel sorry for fans, like you, who travel to home games. I am fortunate enough to live in Norwich. To be honest though, I haven''t bought a club shirt for 6 years, I very rarely buy a drink/food at the ground etc, mainly because I find the price prohibitive, and I have (relitavely speaking) an averagely paid job.If I was on a minumum wage job there is no way I could justify spending nearly £400 on a season ticket. Despite what I''ve just said, it is not only our club that is following this trend, av. price for a LEAGUE TWO  ticket this year is set to be around £18. But as long as 23000+ come to Carrow road every week the club can almost charge what they like for match tickets

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="morty"]Whilst  I completely get what you''re saying, as I struggle myself, but football is an expensive business, and if we want success, we have to finance it.[/quote]There were thousands of empty seats for the game against Watford which suggests they made the tickets too expensive. They could have made more money if they had lowered the prices and sold more tickets.[/quote]We have been through this so many times on here, worked out the numbers, but its really not the case.

To me this is the biggest issue of the day. I know we need the cash as we are skint and yes we need to make savings and commercial decisions. However we have 20,000 season ticket holders because we used to offer value.

Please dont bleed the fans dry, season tickets are good value but lets not take the pee with high drink and food prices and how can a live game on tv ever be a category A game?

This is not the premier league, tickets should be capped at 30 quid, as a rule I wont pay more than 25 quid to go to an away game....easier to keep the current fans than go and find some new ones!

[quote user="Rupethebear"]To me this is the biggest issue of the day. I know we need the cash as we are skint and yes we need to make savings and commercial decisions. However we have 20,000 season ticket holders because we used to offer value. Please dont bleed the fans dry, season tickets are good value but lets not take the pee with high drink and food prices and how can a live game on tv ever be a category A game? This is not the premier league, tickets should be capped at 30 quid, as a rule I wont pay more than 25 quid to go to an away game....easier to keep the current fans than go and find some new ones![/quote]

But in all fairness, we managed to beat most clubs the weekend for attendance, why were leeds top tier completely empty, couldnt work it out, were they doing any improvement up there or was it the Loyal leeds fans chose to sit at home in the armchair, No I never watched it,just saw sky news   

If charging £32 a ticket will help steer our club away from the ever-increasing financial hardships facing every club outside the PL then I''m all for it. I''d sooner have a club to support than no club at all. [Y]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]If charging £32 a ticket will help steer our club away from the ever-increasing financial hardships facing every club outside the PL then I''m all for it. I''d sooner have a club to support than no club at all. [Y]
[/quote]

10 fans at £25 = £250

5 fans at £30= £150

Simples.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]If charging £32 a ticket will help steer our club away from the ever-increasing financial hardships facing every club outside the PL then I''m all for it. I''d sooner have a club to support than no club at all. [Y][/quote]

10 fans at £25 = £250

5 fans at £30= £150

Simples.

[/quote]Your calculations would actually mean something if our ground was only half full the other night.But it wasn''t.[:)]

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Rupethebear"]To me this is the biggest issue of the day. I know we need the cash as we are skint and yes we need to make savings and commercial decisions. However we have 20,000 season ticket holders because we used to offer value. Please dont bleed the fans dry, season tickets are good value but lets not take the pee with high drink and food prices and how can a live game on tv ever be a category A game? This is not the premier league, tickets should be capped at 30 quid, as a rule I wont pay more than 25 quid to go to an away game....easier to keep the current fans than go and find some new ones![/quote]

But in all fairness, we managed to beat most clubs the weekend for attendance, why were leeds top tier completely empty, couldnt work it out, were they doing any improvement up there or was it the Loyal leeds fans chose to sit at home in the armchair, No I never watched it,just saw sky news   

[/quote]

The West Stand top tier at Elland Road has been shut for several seasons except i think for a recent cup tie against Liverpool so i presume it is to cut costs on stewards and catering etc.Remember they have a 40,000 capacity.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]If charging £32 a ticket will help steer our club away from the ever-increasing financial hardships facing every club outside the PL then I''m all for it. I''d sooner have a club to support than no club at all. [Y]
[/quote]

10 fans at £25 = £250

5 fans at £30= £150

Simples.

[/quote]

Your calculations would actually mean something if our ground was only half full the other night.

But it wasn''t.

[:)]
[/quote]

someone worked it out the other night on here and its quite clear that the  gate receipts would have been higher if we had been  £5 cheaper and sold the rest of the casual tickets [:D]

[quote user="pennywise "][quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]If charging £32 a ticket will help steer our club away from the ever-increasing financial hardships facing every club outside the PL then I''m all for it. I''d sooner have a club to support than no club at all. [Y][/quote]

10 fans at £25 = £250

5 fans at £30= £150

Simples.

[/quote]Your calculations would actually mean something if our ground was only half full the other night.But it wasn''t.[:)][/quote]

someone worked it out the other night on here and its quite clear that the  gate receipts would have been higher if we had been  £5 cheaper and sold the rest of the casual tickets [:D]

[/quote]Yes, but that is assuming that the tickets would have been sold. People who know more about it than we do took into account the various factors ( People on holiday, game on a Friday night, the game on the telly) and set the price accordingly.In my opinion, had the tickets been cheaper, the crowd really wouldn''t have been much bigger.

[quote user="morty"]Whilst  I completely get what you''re saying, as I struggle myself, but football is an expensive business, and if we want success, we have to finance it.[/quote]On the face of it Morty yeah that''s true.  But when you look at mega rich clubs like Man City & Chelsea they whack the prices up anyway.  So why is that? [*-)]Is it really because they want the working class riff raff out?  It does make you wonder.

[quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="morty"]Whilst  I completely get what you''re saying, as I struggle myself, but football is an expensive business, and if we want success, we have to finance it.[/quote]On the face of it Morty yeah that''s true.  But when you look at mega rich clubs like Man City & Chelsea they whack the prices up anyway.  So why is that? [*-)]Is it really because they want the working class riff raff out?  It does make you wonder.[/quote]Not really I don''t think.The simple fact is, these days, success costs money. And if you become a global brand like the big clubs are, and you can get away with charging what you like, then you will. They are companies, like any other, with shareholders to satisfy.

I would have gone if they were cheaper. But over £30 for a ticket and then costs of travelling up to Carrow Rd justs makes it too expensive for me to afford on a regular basis.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="pennywise "][quote user="morty"][quote user="First Wizard"]

10 fans at £25 = £250

5 fans at £30= £150

Simples.

[/quote]Your calculations would actually mean something if our ground was only half full the other night.But it wasn''t.[:)][/quote]

[/quote]Yes, but that is assuming that the tickets would have been sold. People who know more about it than we do took into account the various factors ( People on holiday, game on a Friday night, the game on the telly) and set the price accordingly.In my opinion, had the tickets been cheaper, the crowd really wouldn''t have been much bigger.[/quote]I believe the first couple of games of the season, there''s always a sizable number of ST holders who are on holiday.   What the actual numbers are only the club will know. 

Just playing devils advocate here but we had the second biggest crowd in the Championship this weekend behind Leeds who were also live on TV.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="morty"]Whilst  I completely get what you''re saying, as I struggle myself, but football is an expensive business, and if we want success, we have to finance it.[/quote]There were thousands of empty seats for the game against Watford which suggests they made the tickets too expensive. They could have made more money if they had lowered the prices and sold more tickets.[/quote]We have been through this so many times on here, worked out the numbers, but its really not the case.[/quote]24,500 x £32 = £784,00027,000 x £25 = £675,000You''re right. [:(] However with the added fans buying stuff in the bars? Actually no, the price would need to be £29.07 for them to make more than if it was the price it is now. [:(]

Norwich City are not driving the working class fans away .... football is.

It used to be ''The People''s Game'' but now, at the highest level, it has become a plaything for the mega rich. And everyone seems to want to copy it.

The greed of the working class allows it to happen as they are greedy for success that they cannot get.

How many people on this forum crave for a massive cash injection from somebody, be it from a little known multi-billionaire from China or South America or Russia?

This is not the way to success because there will always be people out there with even more money to ''invest'' in bigger clubs.

Because of the amount of money in the game there is no longer a level playing field. It is heavily tilted in favour of the biggest clubs. The Premiership has become boring over the last few seasons with three leagues in one. The top four, the strugglers and the ones in the middle all fighting for a minor European competition place. This year, again because of money, there may be five (or even six) teams fighting for those top four places but the other two leagues will be the same. Nowadays most teams have little chance of success other than the success of staying in the Premiership.

Money has ruined the ''People''s Game'' and will continue to do so unless changes are made.

The first change, by bringing in squad limitation, is a step in the right direction. Ban all loans and then the playing field may become more level and other clubs may also stand a chance.

Make no mistake we will never again be 3rd in the Premiership the way things are today.

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="morty"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="morty"]Whilst  I completely get what you''re saying, as I struggle myself, but football is an expensive business, and if we want success, we have to finance it.[/quote]There were thousands of empty seats for the game against Watford which suggests they made the tickets too expensive. They could have made more money if they had lowered the prices and sold more tickets.[/quote]We have been through this so many times on here, worked out the numbers, but its really not the case.[/quote]24,500 x £32 = £784,00027,000 x £25 = £675,000You''re right. [:(] However with the added fans buying stuff in the bars? Actually no, the price would need to be £29.07 for them to make more than if it was the price it is now.

[:(][/quote]You''re making the same mistake I did yesterday. The only tickets you can

sell at £31 are those left after season tickets (20,500). So it''s 6,500

x £25 (if we sold out) vs 4,000 x £31.  £162,500 - £124,000 = £ 38,500.IF we sold out.

Brendo you are forgetting a large proportion of the crowd were season ticket holders. So there was probably about 3500 casual fans equating to 112000, where as if they had 5500 casual at 25 a pop then you''d get 137500.

All depends on if they could have filled the rest of the ground.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ſilly ſauſage"][quote user="morty"]Whilst  I completely get what you''re saying, as I struggle myself, but football is an expensive business, and if we want success, we have to finance it.[/quote]On the face of it Morty yeah that''s true.  But when you look at mega rich clubs like Man City & Chelsea they whack the prices up anyway.  So why is that? [*-)]Is it really because they want the working class riff raff out?  It does make you wonder.[/quote]Not really I don''t think.The simple fact is, these days, success costs money. And if you become a global brand like the big clubs are, and you can get away with charging what you like, then you will. They are companies, like any other, with shareholders to satisfy.[/quote]The shareholder argument really only applies to football clubs that are listed on the stock market, and they are in a minority. We, for example, are not. Nor are Chelsea or Man City - the two mega-rich clubs mentioned above. They were both delisted by their mega-rich owners, as it happens, effectively taking shareholder interests out of the equation.However the broader point is that what we have seen so far is marginal stuff that will not, even if continued, have a massive effect on the club''s finances. They will be fundamentally altered only by serious minority investment or a takeover.

What annoys me is..not only are they charging over £30 for tickets, but they have scrapped Under 21 tickets, therefore as soon as you turn 16 and will still be in school, you have to pay around £30, and people just can''t afford it...unless you have a season ticket, there is a big age group and a generation that won''t be able to go to the games. I don''t know why they bothered increasing the capacity if they are going to price people out of the games

I annoys me as well!!!!!!!!!!!I don''t have a season ticket but would venture to half of our home games & a 2 or 3 away games a season, but do know pick out what games I go to and the grading does have a massive influence on that.  I was going to go to the Watford game but when I found out it was £30 and on sky there was no way I was going to pay ''Grade A'' price to watch Watford.  Again the next game Swansea is a grade A and with the performace on Friday I think again alot of casual supporters will decide to stay away and save their money for a cheaper match.Looking at the casual ticket prices last year there seems to be around a 20-25 increase in price, also i always bought my ticket over the phone but know they want £1.50 a ticket which increases the ticket price even more.Will be interesting to see if were not playing too well to see if cheaper tickets come out.I do agree that the season tickets are good value for money working out around under £20 a game.

This is a load of guff, sorry.City''s average home league gate in 2009-10 was 24,755, the second

highest at Carrow Road since the 1970s and better than their last three

seasons in the Championship.Attendance versus Watford on a Friday night during the summer holiday season was 24,348.  Barely below last season''s attendances even allowing for the price increases.So no, I don''t think the prices are driving fans away.  I understand why people are annoyed at paying more, but if we''re going to compete and survive as a business then we need more money coming into the club from all parties, not just shareholders.

[quote user="canary_girl"]What annoys me is..not only are they charging over £30 for tickets, but they have scrapped Under 21 tickets, therefore as soon as you turn 16 and will still be in school, you have to pay around £30, and people just can''t afford it...unless you have a season ticket, there is a big age group and a generation that won''t be able to go to the games. I don''t know why they bothered increasing the capacity if they are going to price people out of the games[/quote]

Thing is, they will fill the seats [:D]

This year there are more ST holders than ever, that should tell you that they won''t have any problem filling the non ST seats with casual fans.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]This is a load of guff, sorry.

City''s average home league gate in 2009-10 was 24,755, the second highest at Carrow Road since the 1970s and better than their last three seasons in the Championship.

Attendance versus Watford on a Friday night during the summer holiday season was 24,348.  Barely below last season''s attendances even allowing for the price increases.

So no, I don''t think the prices are driving fans away.  I understand why people are annoyed at paying more, but if we''re going to compete and survive as a business then we need more money coming into the club from all parties, not just shareholders.

[/quote]

Very well said [Y]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

The West Stand top tier at Elland Road has been shut for several seasons except i think for a recent cup tie against Liverpool so i presume it is to cut costs on stewards and catering etc.Remember they have a 40,000 capacity.

[/quote]

Cheers , thanks for clearing that one up, but they must have very expensive stewards then thats all I can say  

[quote user="Mister Chops"]This is a load of guff, sorry.City''s average home league gate in 2009-10 was 24,755, the second

highest at Carrow Road since the 1970s and better than their last three

seasons in the Championship.Attendance versus Watford on a Friday night during the summer holiday season was 24,348.  Barely below last season''s attendances even allowing for the price increases.So no, I don''t think the prices are driving fans away.  I understand why people are annoyed at paying more, but if we''re going to compete and survive as a business then we need more money coming into the club from all parties, not just shareholders.

[/quote]---You can''t possibly draw a remotely sensible conclusion by comparing last

season''s average with one game from this season. For starters there are

all sorts of one-off factors - on both sides.

Keepig the crowd down: a Friday night. On Sky. Watford not being the biggest draw in the division.

Pushing the crowd up: first game of the season. Loads of new players.

Back up a division. Feelgood factor. More season ticket-holders.

And the point here, in any event, is not about what the overall size of

the crowd was, but whether the high price discouraged casual sales. If

you deduct the 20,550 season tickets you get 3,798. Then deduct however

many Watford brought. This is a pure guess, but say a round 1,000. That

leaves 2,798 Norwich casual sales. Is that figure higher or lower than last

season''s average of casual sales? I don''t know the answer, but that is

the question here.

However the REAL point is not what the club is charging for casual sales

for this season. The real point is whether higher casual prices for

this season pressage significantly higher season ticket prices next

season.