Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Volunteers wanted for Gills game???

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

Firstly, I wouldn''t really say McNally is well paid for what he does. If he were to do a similar role at a similar sized company outside the football world, I''m sure he''d be paid quite a bit more.

Secondly, this reminds me of a trip to Birmingham a few years ago, I think it was in the league cup too. There was a balls up in their ticket office which left lots of people waiting fore tickets as the game kicked off, when I got to the front of the queue it was none other than Karen Brady helping out in there. I don''t think you should be so quick to assume that McNally would not do the same.

[/quote]

Do you know what he''s paid then?

To actually take a Devil''s advocate role here.....People carp on about how the club has become a faceless money making machine, but then give people a chance to get involved and help out, in a community spirited way, and its like you have been asked to donate a kidney for the cause.On face value I thought it a bit cheeky, but after reading some of the posts, and if you indeed get a match ticket, then its hardly the great train robbery, is it?

[quote user="morty"]To actually take a Devil''s advocate role here.....

People carp on about how the club has become a faceless money making machine, but then give people a chance to get involved and help out, in a community spirited way, and its like you have been asked to donate a kidney for the cause.

On face value I thought it a bit cheeky, but after reading some of the posts, and if you indeed get a match ticket, then its hardly the great train robbery, is it?

[/quote]

What time shall I meet you there then?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="morty"]To actually take a Devil''s advocate role here.....People carp on about how the club has become a faceless money making machine, but then give people a chance to get involved and help out, in a community spirited way, and its like you have been asked to donate a kidney for the cause.On face value I thought it a bit cheeky, but after reading some of the posts, and if you indeed get a match ticket, then its hardly the great train robbery, is it?

[/quote]

What time shall I meet you there then?

[/quote]I already bought my ticket a week ago, I don''t need another one.[:)]

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

Firstly, I wouldn''t really say McNally is well paid for what he does. If he were to do a similar role at a similar sized company outside the football world, I''m sure he''d be paid quite a bit more.

Secondly, this reminds me of a trip to Birmingham a few years ago, I think it was in the league cup too. There was a balls up in their ticket office which left lots of people waiting fore tickets as the game kicked off, when I got to the front of the queue it was none other than Karen Brady helping out in there. I don''t think you should be so quick to assume that McNally would not do the same.

[/quote]

I haven''t assumed he won''t do it.  I asked if he will do it.

I don''t have an issue with cost cutting to help the team (quite the opposite in fact).  I am all for the club saving money rather than it being wasted as it has been many times in the past - look where Roeder''s loan policy got us to name but one.

Asking for volunteers the day before a match, something has obviously gone on and the club aren''t explaining what or why they are asking for volunteers rather than just paying people.  - Hence why in my original post I said "is money really that tight?"

IF the reason is because we can''t afford to pay some casual staff then that really is worrying for all of us, is it that desperate?

IF you do get to watch the game in lieu of helping out the club for a couple of hours then I don''t have an issue with that BUT we are aiming for the Premier League and we (for whatever reason - bad planning or financial) need to ask for volunteers, why? And why the short notice?

Amazed it took me so long to get a bite.

What I cant get my head around is why our fans think these small, but annoying cuts will make any difference on the first team.

We just end up with a lesser service.

Just to add that this is something you may expect from a small non-league team e.g. Lynn FC - a call for volunteers to help them out - which you could totally understand and I would imagine would be well received.

Not Norwich City FC in the Championship aiming for the Premier League, to save them what? A few hundred quid?

I don''t see what the big problem is.

They used to do it under Doncaster as well so it''s not McTw@''s idea. As some of you have delightfully dubbed him.

I volunteered to work for one of the pre-season friendlies last year. You sit behind the desk, hand over people''s tickets that have ordered them too late for them to be posted, and you get a free match ticket at the end of it.

Some people are actually complaining saying "people have lost their jobs" etc. I for one know that if I worked 9-5 five days a week (which most of the ticket office staff do) I''d be loathe to stay until 20:00 on a Tuesday and then be in again for 09:00 Wednesday morning.

Why not ask fans to come in and help out? If you don''t want to, don''t! I''m sure there''s plenty of fans out there that would look at this and think "I wasn''t gonna spend £12 on a cup game but if I can get a free ticket for sitting on my backside handing out tickets for a few hours I might as well."

They''re never going to sell the game out so why not let fans work for a match ticket? It may add to the atmosphere, they''ll make some money if the people buy stuff at half time, and there''s no outlay of money.

Seems like sensible business to me. Oh wait, I just realised I didn''t complain about Norwich City. Sorry.

[quote user="CallsignViper"]

I don''t see what the big problem is.

They used to do it under Doncaster as well so it''s not McTw@''s idea. As some of you have delightfully dubbed him.

I volunteered to work for one of the pre-season friendlies last year. You sit behind the desk, hand over people''s tickets that have ordered them too late for them to be posted, and you get a free match ticket at the end of it.

Some people are actually complaining saying "people have lost their jobs" etc. I for one know that if I worked 9-5 five days a week (which most of the ticket office staff do) I''d be loathe to stay until 20:00 on a Tuesday and then be in again for 09:00 Wednesday morning.

Why not ask fans to come in and help out? If you don''t want to, don''t! I''m sure there''s plenty of fans out there that would look at this and think "I wasn''t gonna spend £12 on a cup game but if I can get a free ticket for sitting on my backside handing out tickets for a few hours I might as well."

They''re never going to sell the game out so why not let fans work for a match ticket? It may add to the atmosphere, they''ll make some money if the people buy stuff at half time, and there''s no outlay of money.

Seems like sensible business to me. Oh wait, I just realised I didn''t complain about Norwich City. Sorry.

[/quote]

[Y]  What the hell is the problem with this?!  So the club want people to help giving some ruddy tickets out, and then throw in a free ticket for whoever does help at the end.

All these tin-pot cost cutting exercises will make little difference while the football club continues to subsidise the cooks cafes. Until someone finally put''s football first the debts will just grow and grow. McNally just seems to be another cook loving lapdog helping swell Delia purse at the expense of our football team.

These are not neccessarily the views of nutty nigel, just what I''ve picked up from the learned brethren of the pink un message board after many years posting....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

All these tin-pot cost cutting exercises will make little difference while the football club continues to subsidise the cooks cafes. Until someone finally put''s football first the debts will just grow and grow. McNally just seems to be another cook loving lapdog helping swell Delia purse at the expense of our football team.

These are not neccessarily the views of nutty nigel, just what I''ve picked up from the learned brethren of the pink un message board after many years posting....

[/quote]At last a post worth reading......

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

At last a post worth reading......
[/quote]

After all this time too.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

It''s a dangerous practice to start refering to yourself in this way. You will be starting sentences "my husband and I" next

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

It''s a dangerous practice to start refering to yourself in this way. You will be starting sentences "my husband and I" next

[/quote]

And after I called you learned.......

[;)]

Why doesn''t the club utilise those members of the squad (including club apprentices) that are not selected or involved with the squad for tonight''s game - to assist in the ticket distribution?

The majority are on the NCFC payroll anyway..... I think the supporters who go to the collection points and are given their tickets by a team member, will be more than chuffed...

All hands to the pump, and all that......

[quote user="hogesar"]

How short are everybody''s memories? Can you not remember Doncaster? Can you not remember the reasons why we ended up in our lowest position for 60 years? McTw*t? SERIOUSLY?!

If you''re complaining about cost cutting etc - then you have no right to complain if we don''t spend money on strengthening the team.

[/quote]

Far too sensible.  Don`t you realise that Hitler,Genghis Khan McNasty is walking round the streets of our fine City with an AK47 FORCING poor innocents to slave in his dungeon for nowt.....[:|]

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I''m sure you don''t either though. I stand by my statement though, I''d be astounded if he was well paid by CEO standards in comparably sized businesses.

Volunteering for tickets is not a new thing. The club has always got volunteers, perhaps not always advertised on the main website. I used to run a society at UEA and we''d quite often be asked if we could help out on matchdays. Saves the club some money, boosts crowd numbers and from what I have seen is the perfect way to introduce a poor student to a great club in their new home city

The Club''s putting the screws on the fans, but at the same time it''s investing money in the squad. I''ll go with that, provided they don''t push it too far. Volunteer gate people isn''t too far IMO.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="hogesar"]

How short are everybody''s memories? Can you not remember Doncaster? Can you not remember the reasons why we ended up in our lowest position for 60 years? McTw*t? SERIOUSLY?!

If you''re complaining about cost cutting etc - then you have no right to complain if we don''t spend money on strengthening the team.

[/quote]

Far too sensible.  Don`t you realise that Hitler,Genghis Khan McNasty is walking round the streets of our fine City with an AK47 FORCING poor innocents to slave in his dungeon for nowt.....[:|]

[/quote]He''s like a cross between Raoul Moat and Jimmy Saville.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Sure signs of administration looming, at long last? [img]http://www.acidtrax.net/smileys/hide.gif[/img][/quote][img]http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/pope_face_palm.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="Canary Wharf Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I''m sure you don''t either though. I stand by my statement though, I''d be astounded if he was well paid by CEO standards in comparably sized businesses.

[/quote]

But I''m not the one making fanciful statements based on absolutely nothing but total guesswork. For all we know he may be far better paid than other CEOs in businesses of similar sizes.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Why doesn''t the club utilise those members of the squad (including club apprentices) that are not selected or involved with the squad for tonight''s game - to assist in the ticket distribution?

[/quote]because they are footballers... most footballers can barely put their pants on let alone cope with handling money!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

because they are footballers... most footballers can barely put their pants on let alone cope with handling money!
[/quote]

Or if you''re Peter Crouch, handing money over - and then it''s pants off.....

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

because they are footballers... most footballers can barely put their pants on let alone cope with handling money!
[/quote]

Or if you''re Peter Crouch, handing money over - and then it''s pants off.....

[/quote]

[:D]

Don''t things like the CE''s salary get itemised in the annual report and accounts? Seeing as he''s been in the job for over a year now, won''t there be a record somewhere? I''m sure Doomcaster''s salary used to be included...

[quote user="Coelho"]Don''t things like the CE''s salary get itemised in the annual report and accounts? Seeing as he''s been in the job for over a year now, won''t there be a record somewhere? I''m sure Doomcaster''s salary used to be included...[/quote]Yes. Probably. Up to a point. There is the potential complication of when Doncaster actually stopped being employed by the company because that date is around the end and the beginning of two financial years.But if you take the figure for the financial year that ended on May 31, 2009, as being basically for Doncaster then his overall package was £185,000 for that year (up from £179,000 the year before). And the equivalent figure in the accounts for the year ending in May 2010, when they appear, should essentially be for McNally, although he won''t have been employed for a full year. So it may not be possible to make a precise comparison.I do hope that is clear![;)][8-|][;)]