Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

McNamee in Hoolahan's position?

Personally i''m a big fan of Hoolahan and when he keeps the ball he''s one of the most dangerous players in terms of hurting the opposition. However, we saw for the last 10 minutes today McNamee playing in the same position. I felt he played well, was (obviously) stronger on the ball, wasn''t reluctant to shoot and on a couple of occasions threaded some nice balls to the forwards as well. I personally think Hoolahan''s got good competition for that position now, which might result in us seeing the best of him.If Hoolahan''s form does drop over the course of the season, there were glimpses (albeit against League Two opposition) that we have a more than able replacement.

i thought he looked good there as well, he''s a livewire on the ball, always looking to make the pass, do some skill and beat men, ideal for the tip of the diamond, so no question that a capable replacement for Wes

[quote user="hogesar"]Personally i''m a big fan of Hoolahan and when he keeps the ball he''s one of the most dangerous players in terms of hurting the opposition. However, we saw for the last 10 minutes today McNamee playing in the same position. I felt he played well, was (obviously) stronger on the ball, wasn''t reluctant to shoot and on a couple of occasions threaded some nice balls to the forwards as well. I personally think Hoolahan''s got good competition for that position now, which might result in us seeing the best of him.If Hoolahan''s form does drop over the course of the season, there were glimpses (albeit against League Two opposition) that we have a more than able replacement.[/quote]Eh? I dont remember him having a shot?

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="hogesar"]Personally i''m a big fan of Hoolahan and when he keeps the ball he''s one of the most dangerous players in terms of hurting the opposition. However, we saw for the last 10 minutes today McNamee playing in the same position. I felt he played well, was (obviously) stronger on the ball, wasn''t reluctant to shoot and on a couple of occasions threaded some nice balls to the forwards as well. I personally think Hoolahan''s got good competition for that position now, which might result in us seeing the best of him.If Hoolahan''s form does drop over the course of the season, there were glimpses (albeit against League Two opposition) that we have a more than able replacement.[/quote]Eh? I dont remember him having a shot?[/quote]I think he had two, albeit they were blocked by defenders - still, there were several occasions where Hoolahan should have swung his right boot at it but didnt...i understand he''s one footed but there is the odd time where you can swing with it and hope [:D]

Yeah, he looked lively when he came on last night, but he''s still only showing glimpses for me, and I think he''s a long way off from nailing down a starting place.

This is a classic case of "You must have been watching a different game to me mate".McNamee did nothing. Yes he lifted his legs over the ball quickly. Whoop. De. Doo. NO end product from that boy. He got some good crosses in against Dereham. But then so would Chris Llewellyn have done. He is a pacey winger who doesn''t beat the last man enough. That is your lot with him. He has NONE of the invention of Hoolahan, will never replace him for craft and guile and those two passes you mentioned were over hit and far too fast for anyone to get on the end of, straight through to the keeper both times. Strength-wise he is no better than wezzer either. I think that is very much a case of square peg round hole. I would much prefer we worked on getting a decent alternative formation sorted for when Hoolahan needs a rest/is injured (God forbid) etc. rather than expect a fast but directionless winger with no end product to fill the boots of a magician.In summary: Hoolahan pulls the strings of the whole team, McNamee isn''t fit to tie Hoolahan''s shoelaces.

McNamee is a left winger and is best utilised on the left side, Hoolahan is a different type of player, much more intelligent and able to spot the pass. I don''t agree about McNamee on the right either, his crosses are far less effective and swallowed up time after time by the opposition keeper.

[quote user="Seat0123"]This is a classic case of "You must have been watching a different game to me mate".

McNamee did nothing. Yes he lifted his legs over the ball quickly. Whoop. De. Doo. NO end product from that boy. He got some good crosses in against Dereham. But then so would Chris Llewellyn have done. He is a pacey winger who doesn''t beat the last man enough. That is your lot with him. He has NONE of the invention of Hoolahan, will never replace him for craft and guile and those two passes you mentioned were over hit and far too fast for anyone to get on the end of, straight through to the keeper both times. Strength-wise he is no better than wezzer either. I think that is very much a case of square peg round hole. I would much prefer we worked on getting a decent alternative formation sorted for when Hoolahan needs a rest/is injured (God forbid) etc. rather than expect a fast but directionless winger with no end product to fill the boots of a magician.

In summary: Hoolahan pulls the strings of the whole team, McNamee isn''t fit to tie Hoolahan''s shoelaces.
[/quote]

In terms of crossing i don''t think McNamee is as bad as you make out.

I felt he was much more direct than hoolahan playing in the hole, and looked dangerous and willing to shoot. I''m not saying he should start instead of Hoolahan but i don''t feel if we were to lose Hoolahan to injury, that a change of formation would be needed as i feel McNamee can do a good job there [:)]

Well I hope neither of us ever have to be proved right - and Hoolahan is never off the pitch other than when the 3 points/cup tie is wrapped up safely.

Hoolahan is willing to shoot, just like any other player, but doesn''t want to waste chances. Did you notice Martin putting off shots, when he didn''t have a clear sight to goal? well if Chris Martin does that, anyone will do it, Hoolahan just plays it safe....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Hoolahan is willing to shoot, just like any other player, but doesn''t want to waste chances. Did you notice Martin putting off shots, when he didn''t have a clear sight to goal? well if Chris Martin does that, anyone will do it, Hoolahan just plays it safe....
[/quote]

Very reluctant to shoot is the one problem with him. You can''t say he doesn''t want to waste chances, because half the time his reluctance to shoot is what wastes chances.

[quote user="hogesar"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Hoolahan is willing to shoot, just like any other player, but doesn''t want to waste chances. Did you notice Martin putting off shots, when he didn''t have a clear sight to goal? well if Chris Martin does that, anyone will do it, Hoolahan just plays it safe....
[/quote]

Very reluctant to shoot is the one problem with him. You can''t say he doesn''t want to waste chances, because half the time his reluctance to shoot is what wastes chances.

[/quote]

Agree its frustrating because he clearly has the ability and i can''t believe its a confidence issue. There were several times against Watford in particular where i was crying shoot and he didn''t. Saying that he''s a top player and i''m sure he will add this to his game.

I''m not a big fan of Hoolahan at all but he done quite well last night.  He was his usual self but he got rid of the ball a lot quicker which was much more effective.  If he can play like he did last night every game then I will be a converted fan of his but if he goes back to his usual self of beating at least 3 players before he even thinks about passing then I will never become a fan!  Hoolahan is still very overated though.

As for McNamee, I thought he done well.  Very direct, good pace and played some nice little balls through.  If he played in that position then I wouldn''t mind at all because he looks good there.

He''s yet to do anything to convince me - he''s got some tricks but with little result. For me he''s a winger not a play maker, and wingers have one job, to press and terrorise their full back a la Huckerby. Several times last night he did fancy stepovers but the defender just stood his ground and McNamee went sideways rather than past.

Macnamee did ok but as with every time we have this discussion, I remind you that Chris Martin did very well in the Hoolahan role last season so if Wes comes off, PL has the option of sending on Jackson or Johnson and moving Chris into the hole.

So Hoolahan is overrated but you''re happy with McNamee playing in his position as he''s shown glimpses Boyo?

McNamee is a winger, and a pretty ineffective one at that.

He''s got chronic asthma so can''t play a full 90 minutes. (So I''ve heard)

His crosses are very often overhit or hit straight into the feet of the defender blocking his cross.

He flailes his limbs around the ball but as pointed out, if a defender just stands up to him he ends up going sideways.

His passes aren''t a patch on the ones that Hoolahan can thread through. At least he gets the weight and direction correct more times than not.

Lappin and Drury can both put in better balls from the left, Russell Martin can put in better balls from the right, and Hoolahan can put in better balls through the middle.

If Hoolahan was out injured or being rested, McNamee would be nowhere near my starting eleven. Leave him as an impact (yet to be seen regularly) sub when players are tired and might not stand up to him.

[quote user="CallsignViper"]

So Hoolahan is overrated but you''re happy with McNamee playing in his position as he''s shown glimpses Boyo?

McNamee is a winger, and a pretty ineffective one at that.

He''s got chronic asthma so can''t play a full 90 minutes. (So I''ve heard)

His crosses are very often overhit or hit straight into the feet of the defender blocking his cross.

He flailes his limbs around the ball but as pointed out, if a defender just stands up to him he ends up going sideways.

His passes aren''t a patch on the ones that Hoolahan can thread through. At least he gets the weight and direction correct more times than not.

Lappin and Drury can both put in better balls from the left, Russell Martin can put in better balls from the right, and Hoolahan can put in better balls through the middle.

If Hoolahan was out injured or being rested, McNamee would be nowhere near my starting eleven. Leave him as an impact (yet to be seen regularly) sub when players are tired and might not stand up to him.

[/quote]Agree agree agree agree agree agree agree.I''m not sure you should be allowed entry to Carrow Road if you can''t appreciate Hoolahan''s brilliance.

McNamee has consistently looked rubbish playing in the Hoolahan role. He suddenly does ok for 10 miinutes against league 2 Gillingham and as if by magic is suddenly improved so dramatically he could now be able to play there if Wes was injured. I really do feel for some of our players such as Chris Martin Wes Ruddy and Doc in the past as examples. They have one bad game in ten and people on here think they should be dropped or sold. Players like McNamee play rubbish for several games, play well for ten minutes and are suddenly better than our star players. Lets see all the please dont sell Wes posts in the January transfer window.