Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Please Mr. Lambert

Can you please select Simon Lappin and Adam Drury on the left hand side against Scunthorpe.

I thought we looked most dangerous when advancing from the wings last night and in particular on the left. This is nothing against the other midfielders, I just feel that these 2 are the best for the left side.

P.S i also thought Ruddy played well last night.

Well done John

The thing that i think Lappin brings to the team is a bit more width and defensive support. If you notice, when the game shifts to the right side, naturally every player on the pitch follows. This is of course how it should be. When we''re playing the narrow diamond, it is up to the full backs (Adam Drury in this example) to be around the half way line looking to bomb forward to exploit the space left by the game shifting to the right side of the pitch. Russell Martin is actually very good at this on the right side when the game shifts to the left. What Lappin does is get the fine line between following the game and being an outlet on the left a bit better than Surman. Obviously this is only based on the three games I''ve seen Surman play but it is just an observation.Lappin also has a good understanding with Drury of when he is going to push forward and Lappin needs to hold back.Trouble is, does this make him a better option than Surman who is a very very good footballer who when playing narrow.

[quote user="CT"]Can you please select Simon Lappin and Adam Drury on the left hand side against Scunthorpe.

I thought we looked most dangerous when advancing from the wings last night and in particular on the left. This is nothing against the other midfielders, I just feel that these 2 are the best for the left side.

P.S i also thought Ruddy played well last night.

Well done John[/quote]Eh?

[quote user="hogesar"]Andrew Surman > Simon Lappin.
[/quote][Y]

As much as I like our Royal Spaniard, Surman is just a league above.

Seriously dont understand the negativity about Surman especially after 1 game. Only a small amount with most saying he will come good but i thought he was one of the better players on friday and just looked a different class along with Hoolahan. As much as i like Lappin and did defend him a lot last season, there''s simply no question imo that Surman is better all round and should/will definately play on saturday.

It just seems to me that Lappin and Drury have an understanding on the left flank.Surman is of course a new player and his understanding with Drury will hopefully develop. At times yesterday the movement and passing between the two (Lappin and Drury) was a joy to watch.Of course Surman is probably the best all round player but its not about individuals its about the team and the understandings within a team.

I just feel that Lappin and Drury have a connection that shouldnt be broken just to accomodate certain players.

I do agree CT, I just feel Surman is alot better than Lappin. I am happy to not play down the left at all, through the middle. Hey, as long as we win, we can play anyway we like!

[quote user="Brendo "]I do agree CT, I just feel Surman is alot better than Lappin. I am happy to not play down the left at all, through the middle. Hey, as long as we win, we can play anyway we like![/quote]Lappin had a good season last year but is not in the same class as Andrew Surman. I fear the King of Spain will only feature as a fringe player this season.

[quote user="CT"]It just seems to me that Lappin and Drury have an understanding on the left flank.Surman is of course a new player and his understanding with Drury will hopefully develop. At times yesterday the movement and passing between the two (Lappin and Drury) was a joy to watch.Of course Surman is probably the best all round player but its not about individuals its about the team and the understandings within a team.

I just feel that Lappin and Drury have a connection that shouldnt be broken just to accomodate certain players.

[/quote]The only way the understanding will develop properly is through game time. You said it yourself Surman is the better all round player, now he simply needs time on the pitch to gel with the other players.It is about the team and not individuals, but the team will be improved greatly with Surman in it.