Sign in to follow this  
Windy

Evening News

Anybody else feel very strongly about the fact that the above mentioned paper deemed it necessary to ring Darren Huckerby up about a minor traffic offense? They should be ashamed of themselves.

Couldn''t agree any more. Right he should never have been using his phone in the first place (our top man could have been injured!) but, what the hell does it have to do with the papers? Everybody learns from their mistakes, without having their name and picture appearing in the paper. Lets just hope no more is said about the matter and let him get on with his job...winning us the title!

its so annoying, and also unfair on huckerby - i cant stand it in the media when they pick up on the most minute thing, whether it be posh''s cellulite or darren on his mobile.

EEN should be ashamed of themselves,maybe not for reporting it, but for taking up nearly a whole page,2 lines would have done!

so when has a non news story ever taken up a whole page before eh?

come on evening news, i deliberately didn''t buy your paper tonight because of this story, are you trying to turn into those other great reads, the Sun and Hello?

So he spoke on his phone while driving, obviously something no self respecting journalist is ever guilty of - yes, it is illegal, but if talking on a mobile is dangerous, why not chatting to a passenger or changing CDs in your incar entertainment system. God are we not allowed to talk now?

come on, get some real news on your pages and leave hucks alone -

I do agree with some of these thoughts but at the end of the day the Evening News are just doing their job. A pretty major local celeb in minor traffic incident. It''s news worthy in their opinion. I agree that it''s a totally stupid law but that''s not really the point. Would we be complaining if they had run a story on Stewart White or a Binner? No. I know it''s a bit trivial but at the end of the day they are a newspaper and you get a lot of c**p in a paper. I don''t think we can begrudge them printing this.

just doing their job, i thought that was reporting news, someone using a mobile while driving is hardly that, let''s face it, we could all ring in with sightings, couldn''t we, they could start a hotline lol

and yes, whoever had been caught out, be it hucks, stewart white, anyone, the answer is the same, stop wasting space in the paper (though have to admit, only buy it for the football) and stop patronising your readers, we can take real news you know

Evening News Team meeting:-
"Ok boys and girls hows the news gathering coming along. as we all know city are to embark on what will be the toughest run-in for ten years, so what can we do to support them".
Reporter:- " we could upset the best player they''ve had for 15 years, by reporting he got nicked! that shouldn''t take his mind off his game play to much"
Editor :- "I''ll ring him"

THE EAST ANGLIAN would report something like this but the Evening news shouldn''t. Wheres your support. Top of the league stickers one minute, upsetting hucks the next. you should be ashamed.

Might I add that my original, more strongly worded, post was censored despite the fact that I hadn''t used any obscene words or been slanderous. Poor show web team.

Why do we have to know every little detail about the players lives? They''re humans, just the same as everyone else, suprisingly enough! So what Darren was talking on his mobile, I''m sure he''s not the only person in Britain to do it, so why make a big fuss about it?

Haven''t we blown all this out of proportion somewhat? I apologise if I''m in the minority (ok I''m actually standing alone here!!) but the EN is a tabloid newspaper. We have got the evening news at our house for as long as I can remember and all I do is read the sport and flick through the rest. I know it''s very very petty but at the end of the day Darren did break the law. Of course it''s an unbelievably stupid and ridiculous law, I would be the first to admit that. I hardly think though that the good fellows at Eastern Counties Newspapers have p****ed Huckerby off that much. He''s a celebrity and is always in the limelight. This one story isn''t going to effect how he plays for us. He''ll still be amazing, I guarantee it! For them it''s news worthy. Sounds stupid that one guy talking on his phone can be, but for them it''s not one guy talking on his phone it''s "Darren Huckerby- The law breaker!!" A bit ridiculous but it''s their job. I''m sure Hucks laughed when he read it. I don''t think we need to take it quite so seriously.

Ps please don''t shoot me down guys!!

Yep, but you know what they say - "One mans triviality is another mans banquette" it does at first appear to be shallow reporting but having said that Ive lived most of my life abroad and I have to say it''s probably only in Britain where the city''s biggest celebrity gets treated and charged by the law the same as you and me.

In any other City in the World, the biggest football star would have been stopped, the police would have recognized who he was, asked for his autograph, had a laugh and let him go, then stopped a grunt like me or you and charged us £200 for the same offense.

It''s still shallow reporting but at least it''s reassurance that we [well you] live in the last bastion of democracy where everyone gets treated equally and at the same time it makes you marvel at the efficiency of today''s modern Police Force!!!!

I am also somewhat peeved about the size of the "spread" allocated to Huckers. Ok, I dont condone his actions, he was a tadge silly and received his rightful punishment for his foolish use of a mobile whilst behind the wheel.

But, "Mrs JONES RABIED PINK PEKINESE YAPS AT TERRIFIED AND VULNERABLE POSTIE!", ain''t the kind of headlines that will sell newspapers. I like the EEN, it covers local news and sport and gives NCFC good publicity [and gets behind the team]. I do agree though, that a paragraph, stating he was nabbed driving & using his phone, wot a chump, should know better! and that should suffice!.
I''m not the slightest bit interested, whether he was driving a Scammell tank transporter or a Ferrari Testosterone and wearing designer shades! He was nicked end of story....

"Anyway, the offence didnt stop him from slamming a pearler past the Hammers!. OTBC!

I wonder if the "journalist" (and editor) of the Evening News who decided this story merited such prominence have ever themselves taken or made a call on their mobile phone whilst driving?

I would hazard a guess that they probably have. Like 99% of the population who own a mobile phone and have a driving licence.

But, of course, nobody knows (or cares) who they are, so if they had been caught by the Old Bill we would never know (or care) about it.

If the editor of the Evening News thinks that it is a good idea to start hounding the most popular man in Norfolk at the moment just to boost his circulation figures, than he is sadly mistaken.

As has been said earlier in this thread, a paragraph would have sufficed.

Lets be clear about this: I am not strongly opposed to the Evening News reporting these non-news items, and I actually think the mobile phone law is a good one. What I AM objecting to is the fact that they rang Mr Huckerby up. The more I think about it the more rediculous it seems. I for one won''t be buying their "newspaper" (!) again.

let''s just hope it was on a land line this time windy

i don''t drive a car at present, so will not need to worry about the mobile rule, but have to say over the years the amount of people who just don''t concentrate on driving and are chatting, tuning in a radio station, arguing with kids (who are never strapped into car seats) etc, etc are all far more dangerous than using a mobile

weren''t there road traffic accidents before the common use of mobiles? I will have a good look at the people entering the Evening News car park in future to see if any of them use phones on the move

let''s hope we spot someone eh and make them a celebrity lol