Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

The state of modern day football

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Cluck"]I''ll make a total mess of your arse if you don''t wrap up.........[/quote]DELIA SMITH''S GREEN AND YELLOW BRA WEARING KNOWALL LONDON TYPE NANCY BOY! [;)][/quote]You''re next on the list then Slappy....... [:@]Note to myself. Make mess of Slappy''s arse too.

I believe the amount of debt in football is caused by all the income the game generates going out of the game. In fact more than it generates because any investment from rich owners also goes straight out of the game. Back in the days that so many wish we could go back to much of the income generated by the game stayed in the game. The old system of the clubs holding players registrations and selling to the highest bidder was probably morally wrong but all that transfer money stayed in the game. Clubs paid wages that their income could support and raised capital by selling players. A club like Norwich did just fine by selling a good young player every little while to balance the books. Now transfer fees are only a fraction of the players total cost. The vast majority is the players contract and when that''s been paid  the player walks away for free.

This means that football as a whole is living beyond it''s means and the debt is a result of that. It could be easily brought back if the governing body''s within the game had the balls to legislate that clubs have to spend within their means but they will never do it. I think it would take government legislation to achieve that and that''s unlikely to happen anytime soon. It will probably take a couple of big clubs going completely out of business before such legislation is brought in.

The one change to the professional game in this country  that I believe would be the catalyst to football putting it''s own house in order would be for all four divisions to be brought back together again in the Football League. For that to happen it may mean losing the top four or five clubs to some sort of European Super League. But I believe that it would be a price worth paying.