Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

A league too far for 'Nigel Boy' ?.

Over the last few weeks, whilst I''ve defended ''Nigel Boy'', I am finding it harder and harder to do so.

The Charlton game was the last straw for me, I was in bloody tears at the end.

Worthy to be fair, had/has little cash for new players, but of the players he did buy, Helveg, Safri and Docherty rarely play, so why did he buy them and waste what little cash we did have?. IMO, the jury''s out on Jonson.

He always picks Holt, even when he plays badly, and lets face it, Mullers only got on because Holt was injured!!.

Bents is dropped because of a training ground spat, one of many if you believe the rumours. The only people Worthy seems to punish are NCFC and its supporters. Because he puts his own personal feelings ahead of player availability for the team.

Players are frozen out for no apparent reason, ie Brennan, and if we only play for the second half, then the motivation IMO is lacking from the manager. But of course he just sits on the bench, swigging water!. At least Megson gave it some damn wellie!.

In closing I haven''t called for his head, yet!. But I''m starting to think that the Premiership is just too big for Worthy, his tactics are naive, his ability to adjust to a change of tactics by the opposition, non existent. His substitutions are ludicrous at times. And his signing''s, apart from Hucks, are dubious.

Help convince me I''m wrong, please?.

I agree it''s dissapointing (my word of the weekend!) but we''ve got to stick with him Wiz and stick behind him.  I agree that some of his team selections and substitutions are questionable but I still think he''s the best man for the job. 

I was at the game yesterday and it was obvious to me that if we can turn up in the first half we have a great chance of staying up.  How the boy Nige gets the players to do that though, I don''t know!

what would you have said if safri,helveg,doherty,jonson all played outstanding and we were up half way up the prem ? great manager super buys ,and how  many times do you moan about the passing ,if you heard the players were messing about in training and not working hard would moan then cause you would.hucks yes great player got us to the prem but please tell me what has he done in the last couple of game run fall over lose the ball.sorry we need to be positive all the time. 

[quote]Over the last few weeks, whilst I''ve defended ''Nigel Boy'', I am finding it harder and harder to do so. The Charlton game was the last straw for me, I was in bloody tears at the end. Worthy to be fai...[/quote]

You may well be right, Wiz, but what''s beyond doubt is that Nigel knows how to get us out of the first division. What other candidates for the job can you name with the same qualification?

If we do go down we''ve got the perfect man in post to get us back up again. Try to see further than the end of your nose!

I am fed up with Nigel saying

"a win is not far off"

"its a learning curve"

"we have to learn from it"

etc. etc. etc.

Fair enough saying it 2 or 3 games into the season but not now.

I do think he is the right man for the job but I don''t think we should say that if we go down he is the right man to bring up back up again. We need to try and stay there and progress. If we go down I can''t see it being any better than it is this time around.

Is he the man for the job ? are we really worse than Crystal Palace a team we finished a country mile ahead of last season , or do they have a manager who is able to fire them up to get the results something Worthington quite clearly cannot.

If or i should say when we go down dont expect to just bounce straight back up its not that simple ask West Ham ,Wolves,Leicester etc etc .Nigel has proved he is NOT the man for the job , he is tactically lacking and has run out of ideas on what to do next, and as for his dealings in the transfer market the less said the better.

[quote]I am fed up with Nigel saying "a win is not far off" "its a learning curve" "we have to learn from it" etc. etc. etc. Fair enough saying it 2 or 3 games into the season but not now. I do thin...[/quote]

Jenny: I totally agree with you, but would add, that the board must take some responsibility for our plight at the moment, as well.

Maybe the answer lay''s with a Mike Walker type manager ( or the man himself!) he was always working within a tight budget, but look at the way that team played!.

The currant team is but a pale shadow, compared to them.

I tend to agree with you, Wiz, that perhaps this league is one too far for Mr W.

It seems a long while ago that we ran away with the "Championship", the great shame being that we have not built on that.  Crystal Palace looked a very accomplished side against both Arsenal and Liverpool and do not look out of their depth as we have begun to do.

I am not saying that Mr W must go, yet, but he certainly needs to get some tactical naunce instilled into the team - "belief" alone isn''t going to do the job.

As for getting out of the "Championship" if, (when?), we get relegated then there are other managers around who can do a good job at that level - I don''t know about Mike Walker but John Deehan did a reasaonable job for us and has increased his knowledge working in the lower divisions.

Sad that it is, I think we all have to be realists here. Nigel boy was not given the money to spend in the close season while both Palace and particularily West Brom did. We are bottom after 13 games because currently we are the worst team in the league! We have played well in quite a few games, but never for a full 45 minutes let alone 90!

NW has taken a pretty poor team inherited from Hamilton and turned us into a good Championship team. Alas, the Premiership is most definately a different propositon and Nigel has been seen to be tactically nieve. How many Premiership quality players do we actually have? Green, Drury, Helveg?, Francis, Jonson, Huckerby and Bently after that I''m struggling. And as for main Striker Svenson - he cost us the pricely sum of £50k!

IMO we will be relegated, and by the time the transfer window opens will be as good as so who will want to come here? Whether Nigel should go is another question, getting us back he might do but between now and season end I can see us being totally humiliated on more than one occasion so where do we go? I think NW should maybe be given another 4 games or so then we need to look elsewhere.

Comments from the close season from Doncaster hardly help when he says we are planning the finances of the club on finishing bottom of the league - on that point you were spot on!!

For all the talk of getting rid of Worthy I''m not sure anybody has pointed out the fact that he is on a rather long contract. Given the limited funds available for transfers in January will we not be better off spending this money on players as opposed to paying out a large amount of compensation to Worthy?

I must admit and people will say oh  yeah but I personally never wanted Worthy as manager when he was appointed and yes you can say he got us promoted but his tactics do leave a lot to desire?

How many times has he gone all or nothing ir bring on 2 or 3 subs with minutes to go in the hope of turning it around it may happen occasionally but not very often its roy of the rovers stuff?

I can remember speaking to Delia at the end of 2002 2003 season and she said to me that Worthy had not spent his budget? Suggesting their was no one available? What a load of rubbish

I mean when you look at the current squad there are players in their who are class Francis is a fine example who Worthy himself admitted needs pushing a little bit and needs assuring to build up his confidence as hes actually a superb player! Well why cant Worthy install confidence in the lad?

He likes to stick with certain players because they are within his favoured few when deep down he knows he should change it but he wont?

I must admit there needs to be a change and soon I know people will cry out and say how daft but to me when he keeps saying weve got to have the belief and all that rubbish hes not upto it he will have everyone on Saturday saying prayers with a vicar in the centre circle before the game? 

No chance whatsoever of Nigel going - even if we do finish bottom. He is definitely part of the Carrow road furniture, well liked by the Board (who didn''t really expect us to stay up anyway, only hoped we might) and it will cost a lot of compensation anyway. Even Wolves and leicester didn''t ship out messrs Jones and Adams until the vital ''bounce back'' sesaon didn''t start well enough, and we would do precisely the same. In the meantime live in hope - there are a number of other bad teams in the Premiership this season, and our luck/sel-belief that comes from it is surely going to come at some point. Isn''t it?

[quote]No chance whatsoever of Nigel going - even if we do finish bottom. He is definitely part of the Carrow road furniture, well liked by the Board (who didn''t really expec t us to stay up anyway, only ho...[/quote]

Maybe its time for the moderators to do a ''pinned post'', and have a straw poll on this thorny subject?, this would give all poster''s ample time to add their views, as post on these boards seem to disappear quickly.

Yeah must admit Wiz that on the old board posts seemed to hang around for a while so if you could not get on for a couple of days it was easy to see what you had missed.  On this one it is only the latest 10 or so posts that are on there and most of them are duplicates of what has already been said.  Why people cannot reply to a post amazes me instead of creating one exactly the same.