Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

Greeno

It looks like Robert Green can kiss his international career goodbye after Wednesday which i think is unbelievably harsh when you consider the other players in the squad (yet still get picked ),let the country down as well.

Just because you are the goalie does it mean one mistake and you are out ? i think that everybody deserves a second chance, even Scott Carson.Take a look at our most capped player , Peter Shilton a true legend on and off the pitch (remember Tina?), one of the greats but i can recall a couple of errors of epic proportions which he bounced back from.Him diving over the ball against Poland at Wembley in the World cup qualifier in  73 , his superman impression against Argentina -Mexico 86 when he should have sent Maradona into orbit and of course his "felled oak" impersonation against Germany for their goal and the penalty shootout.

As Robert Green came through our academy i hate to see this albeit he is not our player anymore.Joe Hart is on his honeymoon period but it will be interesting to see what happens when he makes a mistake which costs England dear.Fraser Forster in goal next?

I think it was ridiculous to call up those two nobodys.

However, at the end of the day - Hart > Green. [Y]

The two nobodies were only brought into the squad as they were already away from their clubs with the U-21s, if it had of been a competitive fixture then they wouldn''t have been near the squad.

As much as I love Greeno and was mortified to see his mistake against the USA he is now 30 and England should be trying to find a good young keeper to stick around for the long run. Also, Hart is a better keeper and just doesn''t seem to suffer fromt he nervousness than always hits Green when he is in goal for England. It is true that good keepers have been cast aside after mistakes, Robinson and Carson are prime examples. However, if Green had 20 - 30 caps to his name when he made that mistake it would have been easier to ignore it and move on, but as a relatively new keeper and so much attention being paid to that position his mistake was magnified many times.

Hart and Ben Foster will fight it out for the England spot this year, with Hart already well in the lead, however a season on the bench at Man City looking likely and if Foster takes his chance at Birmingham it could switch around again. Maybe Capello should look at what Low did with the German keeper and just say ".... is our keeper and will be even if he makes mistakes", although I''m not sure the English media, which is already attacking Capello when ever it can (look at the over blown Beckham thing) will look favourably on Capello picking a mistake prone keeper. Again look at what happened with McClaren crumbling under pressure to drop Robinson.

Whilst I agree with most of Bethnal''s points, I\d hardly say 30 is an old age for a goalkeeper. Personally, I still think Green could do a job, at least as a number 2 choice. David James, still a good keeper in my view, will fill that role in the short term, Green shouldn''t just be completely frozen out in my view. If anything, should he receive another call-up he''d only be more determined to do well.

It''s true that he isn''t too old at 30, but with younger better keepers in Hart and potentially Foster, Green might have to settle for 3rd choice. I''m not sure he would be willing to do this, and to be honest I don''t think a 3rd choice keeper should be a senior player; it would be better to have someone like Loach there who could be a great keeper in future and the England experience would hold him in good stead if he does progress up the ranks. England have too often had back up players who are older and with little future. Stephen Warnock and Wes Brown are examples of this, if they aren''t good enough now they never will be - give a younger player some match experience and stop them freaking out when they are called upon.

I think it was right to put and end to James (- he was not very good at the one-on-one goals scored by Germany which Greeno could hasve saved.

I have to say that so far Hart has looked very safe and secure, especialy in a one-on-one on Wednesday, and his catching and punching of crosses looked good as well. Is he taller than Green?

It may be hard on Green, but Capello is not the forgiving sort, and he''s in charge.

I would say Greeno should just handle the situation like Beckham has.

I have the feeling the knives are sharpening for Capello and with the amount of gaffs the manager seems to be performing, I feel Greens career might be longer than the Italians!!