Sign in to follow this  
Heresyourfathersgun

How long before we get an offer for Chris Martin?

With a bit of chat about Wes being a star at this level, who would agree the most improved and intelligent player we have is Chrissy Martin? The boy has come so far in 12 months, to the point where he now shows real promise. Last night he was the stand out player for me. He reminds me in style of Dean Ashton - reasonable pace but good touch and position. How long before someone comes knocking; and how much would he go for?

Well it''s hard to say whether he will cut in this league since we''ve played one game.

But I do agree he is developing really well and will be a big player for us this season.

However he is nowhere near premiership class yet, and it would have to be a fairly big premiership club to lure him away from his local team. So i don''t think he will go in the near future. If someone offered 2 million or more i would have thought we would accept, but they won''t.

Was stand-out player against Newcastle too- he was taking the p*ss at times.  Of course as soon as i start praising him to the skies he has a poor game as he did v. watford!  I`ve been posting for over a year on the muppet threads slating him, "Enjoy him whilst we`ve got him" as i think a big bid is only a matter of time.  Luckily for us he signed a three-year contract recently so we can play hardball.

Of course the only issue is whether he keeps his head down and keeps working and improving as he has been, but he is starting to look the real deal, getting stronger and improving his heading to go along with his naturally good technique.

[quote user="ucl-canary"]

Well it''s hard to say whether he will cut in this league since we''ve played one game.

But I do agree he is developing really well and will be a big player for us this season.

However he is nowhere near premiership class yet, and it would have to be a fairly big premiership club to lure him away from his local team. So i don''t think he will go in the near future. If someone offered 2 million or more i would have thought we would accept, but they won''t.

[/quote]I (sadly) wouldn''t expect us being his local team to play any part in him staying, he''s not the badge-kissing type, I wish so much that he was.He''s the best natural finisher to be brought through at the club since Bellamy in my humble opinion, and I fully expect him to go on to have the same level of career, just two or so years behind what bellamy achieved because of his attitude problems that needed overcoming early in his career. I think come January, when he''s already got 14 or so goals, we may well have a £3million bid to fight off. I hope that we''re in the top 6 area at that time so that McNasty can be convinced not to cash in, but unless Lambert realises the folly in allowing Nelson within 100 yards of the pitch when there''s a competitive championship game on, then there''s no chance of that.

[/quote]I (sadly) wouldn''t expect us being his local team to play any part in him staying, he''s not the badge-kissing type, I wish so much that he was.He''s the best natural finisher to be brought through at the club since Bellamy in my humble opinion, and I fully expect him to go on to have the same level of career, just two or so years behind what bellamy achieved because of his attitude problems that needed overcoming early in his career. I think come January, when he''s already got 14 or so goals, we may well have a £3million bid to fight off. I hope that we''re in the top 6 area at that time so that McNasty can be convinced not to cash in, but unless Lambert realises the folly in allowing Nelson within 100 yards of the pitch when there''s a competitive championship game on, then there''s no chance of that.

[/quote]

I imagine he would jump at the chance to go to any Premiership team (apart from Blackpool).

He still has a lot to prove this year but is certainly a really good player. His lack of pace will always count against him I''m afraid, but he is becoming much more of a physical presence on the field. His main weakness is he isn''t quick enough to play as off the last man and isn''t quite big enough to play as a target man. I think somewhere around £1.5m would be acceptable by the club considering the lenght of his contract, doubt many teams would be prepared to pay that for him yet, but if he knocks in 12-16 goals this season then Lambert might have a fight on his hands to keep him.

I would imagine that Chris will stay with us this year, even if he does have a cracking season.

I think he has matured enough not to get his head turned so much now. If he goes and grabs another 20 odd goals this season he could well be worth 3- 4 million?

Yes probably right about any premiership club unless we challenge near the top this season..

I''m just trying to think of  a player similar to Martin in premier league and i''m really struggling?

Well if he bangs in 20 goals this season in the league, given todays prices 3-4 mill is a possibility.

He reminds me a bit of Teddy Sheringham.

Not the fastest, but deceptively strong, good touch, good intelligence-always looking for the pass, or to make the final pass, and gets into good positions when we are attacking-and always available.

He gets stick because he doesn''t throw himself around the pitch @ 100mph a''la Robbie Savage, but he''s a ball of never ending energy compared to someone like Ted MacDougall, who wouldn''t have run for anything.

Good finisher as well. If he develops this season as much as he did last, he''ll be wanted man next Summer, but I don''t think he''ll go anywhere this season.

And Roeder wanted him gone!

[quote user="Old Shuck"]He reminds me a bit of Teddy Sheringham. Not the fastest, but deceptively strong, good touch, good intelligence-always looking for the pass, or to make the final pass, and gets into good positions when we are attacking-and always available. He gets stick because he doesn''t throw himself around the pitch @ 100mph a''la Robbie Savage, but he''s a ball of never ending energy compared to someone like Ted MacDougall, who wouldn''t have run for anything. Good finisher as well. If he develops this season as much as he did last, he''ll be wanted man next Summer, but I don''t think he''ll go anywhere this season. And Roeder wanted him gone![/quote]

Roeder never wanted rid of him completely, but said he needed to grow up and apply himself more.

If you remember the cup game against Bury where Roeder gave him a chance, Martin was awful and looked like he felt he had already made it (thanks in part to all the smoke Grant was blowing up his behind about being the best young player he had ever seen or something like that).

Roeder sending him to Luton on loan made Martin the player he is today and is probably the best thing he did for the club, that and clearing out all of Grant''s flops.

Anyone here think he might go on to play for England? He''s the type of player we need to play off Rooney. He reminds me a bit of Ashton or Sheringham as other posters have pointed out. I''ve always thought he has had the ability but never the attitude. He seems to have sorted his attitude out so who knows what he could achieve if he continues to work hard at his game. I wouldnt want us to sell him for anything less than 4mil if he has a good season for us.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Old Shuck"]He reminds me a bit of Teddy Sheringham. Not the fastest, but deceptively strong, good touch, good intelligence-always looking for the pass, or to make the final pass, and gets into good positions when we are attacking-and always available. He gets stick because he doesn''t throw himself around the pitch @ 100mph a''la Robbie Savage, but he''s a ball of never ending energy compared to someone like Ted MacDougall, who wouldn''t have run for anything. Good finisher as well. If he develops this season as much as he did last, he''ll be wanted man next Summer, but I don''t think he''ll go anywhere this season. And Roeder wanted him gone![/quote]

Roeder never wanted rid of him completely, but said he needed to grow up and apply himself more.

If you remember the cup game against Bury where Roeder gave him a chance, Martin was awful and looked like he felt he had already made it (thanks in part to all the smoke Grant was blowing up his behind about being the best young player he had ever seen or something like that).

Roeder sending him to Luton on loan made Martin the player he is today and is probably the best thing he did for the club.... that and clearing out all of Grant''s flops.

[/quote]If that was the best - what was the worst - apart from taking the job in the first place? Martin had already turned in several excellent performances with some good goals under Grant. But like Bellamy years ago, Martin needed managing. That is what managers are paid to do. Getting rid of a potentially match winning but precocious striker - even for a season - when we were desperately in need of strikers, was the easy way. Sorting him out should have been Roeder''s task, not some other manager''s problem.

Bloody nora.... He gets a few goals in Division Three and suddenly he''s worth wads and is now touted for an England cap......Dear oh dear oh dear.......

I find it really sad that people automatically assume that because we have a good player we''re going to lose them.

I''m not knocking you for creating this post, I just mean its disappointing that our image is now getting good players and just selling them off for other clubs to benefit.

Few Examples:

Rob Green

Dean Ashton

Rob Earnshaw

Lee Croft

Makes me angry!

[quote user="Canary1902"]I find it really sad that people automatically assume that because we have a good player we''re going to lose them. I''m not knocking you for creating this post, I just mean its disappointing that our image is now getting good players and just selling them off for other clubs to benefit. Few Examples: Rob Green Dean Ashton Rob Earnshaw  Makes me angry![/quote]

I have corrected your post for you

Super player. As others have said he is a deadly finisher and if you stick him in front of the goals like yesterday he will invariably put the ball away. He is also very clever at finding space and is excellent techincally. An illustration of this are those free kicks. He is the first player we''ve had since Ian Crook who makes me geniunely excited and expectant when we get a free kick near goal. Before anyone says Phil Mulryne that is a myth. He got one against Grimsby and never looked like doing it again.

[quote user="Deliascurleypubes"]There is no way anyone would pay anywhere near 4-5m for Martin! He looked awfull on friday night....[/quote]

One game.....

Have you seen him on a consistent basis?

He''s nothing special...Consider the level you were watching him at last season....

I think our game at Exeter last night puts into perspective just how strong that league is....playing our youth team yet still winning...

I think he found his level there...like most of your team!

[quote user="Deliascurleypubes"]He''s nothing special...Consider the level you were watching him at last season.... I think our game at Exeter last night puts into perspective just how strong that league is....playing our youth team yet still winning... I think he found his level there...like most of your team![/quote]

[|-)]

[quote user="Canary1902"]I find it really sad that people automatically assume that because we have a good player we''re going to lose them.

I''m not knocking you for creating this post, I just mean its disappointing that our image is now getting good players and just selling them off for other clubs to benefit.

Few Examples:

Rob Green

Dean Ashton

Rob Earnshaw

Lee Croft

Makes me angry![/quote]I for one was glad when we got rid of him! Useless fat headless chicken who couldnt cross a ball.

[quote user="I am a Pomegranate"]

[quote user="Deliascurleypubes"]He''s nothing special...Consider the level you were watching him at last season.... I think our game at Exeter last night puts into perspective just how strong that league is....playing our youth team yet still winning... I think he found his level there...like most of your team![/quote]

[|-)]

[/quote]

Thats the reality though...i think you got quite a shock friday night at how big the difference is between league 1 and champ...

All that talk of top 6 before the season started....or even finishing above us....frankly hilarious...

[quote user="Deliascurleypubes"][quote user="I am a Pomegranate"]

[|-)]

[/quote] Thats the reality though...i think you got quite a shock friday night at how big the difference is between league 1 and champ... All that talk of top 6 before the season started....or even finishing above us....frankly hilarious...[/quote]

Not really, we had ONE season in League 1 and Piswich fans suddenly think we have forgotten what the Championship is all about. [:|]

You scraped past Exeter, a League 1 team, in extra time. Young team or not, thats the reality.

One season or not, that side you have...is League one players...nothing more...Can''t see you going down, but with those carthorse''s at the back, anything is possible!

Just find it hilarious that your talking about 4-5m for a striker who has scored goals in league one....since when did league one strikers go for that price?

[quote user="Deliascurleypubes"]One season or not, that side you have...is League one players...nothing more...Can''t see you going down, but with those carthorse''s at the back, anything is possible! Just find it hilarious that your talking about 4-5m for a striker who has scored goals in league one....since when did league one strikers go for that price?[/quote]

Not once have I personally said he is worth £4-5million. And I agree with you, he isn''t worth THAT much.

Don''t Panic.... He''s a Yellow - and will be for the foreseeable future...That''s unless, Chris Martin has A Rush of Blood to the Head

[quote user="ZiggyPiggy"][quote user="ucl-canary"]

[/quote]

I (sadly) wouldn''t expect us being his local team to play any part in him staying, he''s not the badge-kissing type, I wish so much that he was.

He''s the best natural finisher to be brought through at the club since Bellamy in my humble opinion, and I fully expect him to go on to have the same level of career, just two or so years behind what bellamy achieved because of his attitude problems that needed overcoming early in his career. I think come January, when he''s already got 14 or so goals, we may well have a £3million bid to fight off. I hope that we''re in the top 6 area at that time so that McNasty can be convinced not to cash in, but unless Lambert realises the folly in allowing Nelson within 100 yards of the pitch when there''s a competitive championship game on, then there''s no chance of that.
[/quote]

WTF has that got to do with the price of chips you twonk?