Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Peter Crouch, Malkay Makay and Iwan Roberts

I feel strongly and have said all along that Worthington has made 3 big mistakes. First;y, he should have signed Peter Crouch and never should have got rid of Iwan Roberts and Malkay Makay.

These 3 players would have made a good impression on our season so far. I am not saying we would have been top 10 but certainly higher than we are now. For this, Worthington is to blame. He must stand up and be counted for this.

Iwan Roberts is not setting the world alight at Gillingham, in fact they have just brought in a new coach. I hardly think his eight goals a season, for the last three years at Nationwide level, would help our Premiership ambitions.

A mistake not to bring in Crouch for £2m and put the club further into debt.Is he going to keep Southampton up then?

Worthy made a bid for Crouchy but couldn''t get the money agreed.He''s been injured for most of the season and is just coming back(on the bench saturday).I''ve heard he''s highly rated down there though and they are continually turning away loan bids for him

Iwan''s experience and his hold the ball up play can bring us to the game, the big mistake we have this season is we cannot really hold the ball up front and win free kicks.

I disagree with canary boy and XXL16 on this.

Flem has always had more class than Malky and if Flem is struggling then Malky would have been much worse - for every header he may have won he would have been beaten on the ground twice as often. What we do miss is his leadaership of the line and getting it organised. However he would have been aliability overall in this league.

Peter Crouch has been injured and continues to look sub prem class when he does play. Worthy clearly felt he was not worth £2m to the club. In addition this club has to move away from a target man approach and focus on movement and quality passing.

Finally Iwan has struggled to make any impact on the 1st division for 2 seasons now and his lack of pace would have made us a laughing stock. As for holding the ball up or winning headers would he have actually passed to a yellow shirt? Sven is better when he gets the ball played to fett. We would also have lost more possession by his ''continual arms rounds his back holding the defender'' fouls conceeded.

These three players were all good servants during their time with us - however that time is firmly in the past and as fans we need to move on - the players we currently have, no matter how hard they are struggling at the moment, are far better than any of these.

OTBC

One point, we should have kept Iwan, his prescence lifts the crowd, he puts in 100% commiment (about 100% more than Svenson) and we''d only need him on for 10 minutes to score a tap in or something

Canary Boy - Dont know if you read Iwans book reference last seasons promotion campaign.  If you did then you will probably remember the amount of times that Iwan openly admitted that virtually after every game on the following Sunday morning his bones were aching something terrible.  Just think then how he would have coped in the Premiership against top class defenders.  His pace last year was certainly something to be reckoned with and it is alway wise after the event to suggest keeping him but I seriously doubt that he would have done any better than what we have here already. 

must congrat you on youur sig Ama!

On topic: I think Iwan roberts may have made an inpacts (remember everton last year in the cup, moyles said "Roberts won everthing in the air",

Malky, whought he would have done great up here, unfourtuantly hes gone to west ham and is going to get them in the prem instead, sucks to worthy!!!!

Crouch, dont think he was the right man, came here and did is job but we need someone more inbetween leon and Sven. Someone like Harewood who can run with the ball head the ball and hold up the ball.

Me go Harewood

And thats my two cents

I think we should have kept Iwan with a play-and-pay contract. Whoever said he lifts the crowd was spot on and although he would probably only have made a handful of appearances as a substitute he could hold the ball up well and was always dangerous in the box, something that our current strikers are not.

Malkay would never have cut it at this level. He would have been ripped to shreds by practically every striker we''ve come up against so far. I can see where the posters are coming from though, teams are beginning to use our lack of height at the back to their advantage and if we don''t bring in a tall centre half who can clear any loose balls then sadly we''re going to be conceding more and more headers and uncleared crosses in the future.

As for Peter Crouch, I suspect that Nige probably regrets pulling out all the stops to bring him in. Whilst at the time £2,000,000 seemed ludicrous you have to remember that Harewood is valued at roughly the same figure, Ashton at 4-5mill, Bent and Sutton both at 5. In hindsight £2mill was a good deal for Crouch. And afterall, we did spend £1,000,000 on Jonson...