Sign in to follow this  
Jethro

Daryl Russel - Intelligent, nice bloke

http://www.pinkun.com/content/pinkun/norwich-city/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED13%20Aug%202010%2009%3A14%3A14%3A153

[quote user="Jethro"]Why? he had nothing bad to say about the club except for Gunn and Roeder which is pretty much what all of us say[/quote]I think imajoke, was talking about himself.

Always been an articulate sort of fellow. Seems he was badly treated by Norwich managers past and is quite ''candid'' about how he left this summer (as the report says).

Always liked Russell and have no animosity towards him. Plus, he will probably do us a favour and get sent off when we play Preston!

after reading that interview, i have a whole new level of respect for that man, he was treated poorly by ex management teams who should never of been in charge! i wish him all the best!

[quote user="anothatracksuitmanager"]where is the russel replacement that lambert had lined up which meant he could not sign, not seen him this season.[/quote]

Fox/Crofts...

Darel comes over as a genuine,level headed and articulate footballer and that was one of the best in depth articles i have read in recent times concerning a player who has left Norwich City.

It seems a pity that we let him slip away just as he was settling into the defensive midfield role. Maybe the midfield replacements are better players - we will have to wait and see - but clearly Preston think he is championship standard.

Yes Rusty comes across very well, and explains what happened, very fairly both to himself and the club.

I feel a bit bad about having a go at him for appearing not want to play in the third division,it looks to me Gunny messed him about.

When he comes back we should remember what he did for us last season and cheer him not boo him.

A 3 year deal was probrably unrealistic and reading between the lines I think he realises that now.

But I trust in Lambert decisions to allow Rusty & Docs to go even though they surprised me.

I do not think we will look back with the same regret that we did with Nigel after he catastrophically let Malky & Robbo go just before our Premiership season.

Yep! Honest and decent bloke. Deserving of a round of applause when/if he returns with Preston. Same with Doc if he returns in the future.

Rusty always came across as an intelligent likeable bloke in interviews.

An excellent article that also confirms suspicions of Roeder and much more interestingly, golden boy Gunn.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I hope we don''t rue letting him go, but I think we may. I would rather have moved Hughes,Gill and Tudor-Jones on for the sake keeping Russell.[/quote]rusty was the key player in that diamond. say what you like about korey and Wes but for the diamond to work the ball winner is Key.I liked rusty and it looks like the club has done the dirty on him a little bit. always did his best for us and played with guts which his red card record will attest too. he never shirked a challenge and we are much poorer side without him.good lukc Rusty!

I wouldn''t boo him now but I can''t say I''m dissapointed he left.  He wasn''t that great when we went down and last season I thought he done well but he wasn''t brilliant and he really should do well against that opposition.  It turns out by the looks of things we could miss him but for him to do that particular job in the Championship might have been asking a bit to much of him to be honest.  In another position in midfield maybe, but not the holding role in the Championship.

[quote user="canarytim"]

A 3 year deal was probrably unrealistic and reading between the lines I think he realises that now.[/quote]He got a 3 year deal at Preston, though, didn''t he? But different clubs have different needs and I totally agree with your post - it was a good interview and he was very fair all round. The danger with taking a hard negotiating position (i.e. rejecting a 2 yr deal) is that you have to take the chance that you won''t improve on what''s on the table and that''s what happened to him. But it''s good to see that he doesn''t bear any misplaced malice - he''s very pragmatic and realises that that''s how things sometimes work out. It was a good article - nice to see a decent interview with a reasonably eloquent footballer. I knew when I read it there''s be someone calling him judas or whatever anyway, but judging from most of the posts people appreciated him being honest and being able to hear what happened - more sports journalism like this please...

[quote user="Power Hamster"]It seems a pity that we let him slip away just as he was settling into the defensive midfield role. Maybe the midfield replacements are better players - we will have to wait and see - but clearly Preston think he is championship standard.
[/quote]

Agreed, I would have liked to have seen him play there in the Championship for us. He set up a lot of goals, and scored a few important ones himself last year, and a new contract should have been his reward. shame the club couldn''t resolve things, Fox looks good but a little light-weight, i would have liked to have kept Russell to put a bit of meat in the middle!

Either way, best of luck Darel!

I alway thought he gave his all when he played, a little to much "all" sometimes lol with the red cards but he battled none stop in the middle. I personaqlly hope he gets a what hes looking for in the future. Good luck mate you''ve done us proud.

I''m really glad Russell agreed to this, because I presumed the worst, like I suspect many city fans did. It''s good to have his side of the story out there, and told rather eloquently as well. In regards to him being here, well I always thought Rusty looked very promising for us as youngster, but for whatever reason (maybe those that he lists in the interview), he has never been able to make that big step forward that many of his peers and replacements have made. For me he was never able to dominate a game, which the likes of Holt, Francis, Etuhu and Safri were capable of. He certainly came on a lot last year and we started to see signs of it, but I thought he tailed off towards the end of the season (I guess understandable when you play so many games), and that was a disappointment to see at league 1 level. I hope he finds what he''s after at Preston and becomes the player that I and he hoped one day he would become.

Dunno what sort wages they would be on but I agree with an earlier poster. I think our squad would be far better off if Hughes, Gill and Tudur Jones had left and Russell had stayed. You would then have Russell and Fox fighting for the defensive midfield role, Surman and Lappin for the left side and Smith and Crofts for the right hand side. While for me McNamee could provide cover for Hoolahan either as a conventional winger or at the tip of the diamond. Russell could have done a job in more physical contests away from Carrow Road this season. Obviously people may not have come in for these players meaning our hands are tied. But if offers have been made I really dont see how from a financial perspective we can justify keeping Hughes, Tudur Jones and Gill at the club when I can barely see them playing this season.

It''s great to see that we all agree with the title of this thread.

Not surprisingly there is opinion differences as to whether we would be better off with him still here.

I am of the opinion that Rusty struggled at championship level and will again. I hope I''m wrong for the sake of his career pattern. Thanks for your efforts last year Rusty but it was time to move on.

well it would be a no brainer, one club withdrew there contract offer, the other offered him the deal he wanted.  At the end of the day he wanted to stay but on his terms, which he couldn''t get and the club moved on to replace him.

I''m sure there''ll be some boos when he returns (not from me), but you always get some with returning players.  But as others have said he''s well spoken and gives a candid view of his time with City

[quote user="Chalk"]Anyone else notice Russell was quoted in the paper saying it was a "no brainer" to leave Norwich and join Preston ?[/quote]

Or it was a no-brainer to sign for Preston when they showed an interest after he had already been released by the club.

Good interview and does give another insight on Gunn. It seems that Gunnys plan went something like this....sign Tenpole Tudor, sell Rusty for a large amount of money to Burnley, beat Colchester (while Rusty is playing golf) and win the league.